Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

The SIRIKTWOSOB: Slightly Improved and re-introduced Kindle Touch without Sound or Buttons.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #32
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
there you go
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #33
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Let's go paleontological and call it the K-T Boundary
kt-2=kindle touch minus two (features)
Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #34
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I wish they had kept the K4nt black and just dropped the price on it. Honestly, I love mine, I have no real reason to upgrade. Yes, the Voyage is all shiny and new, but the K4nt is just a work horse. It does everything I need it to do, very comfortable to hold, doesn't hurt my thumb. It kind of bothers me that I now have to pay $200 to get buttons.
I hope I can find one cheap as places start dumping them. If anyone sees them cheap, let me know.
Thanks!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #35
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
Maybe kindles will be cheaper during Black Friday sales?
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #36
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

they certainly will
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I wish they had kept the K4nt black and just dropped the price on it. Honestly, I love mine, I have no real reason to upgrade. Yes, the Voyage is all shiny and new, but the K4nt is just a work horse. It does everything I need it to do, very comfortable to hold, doesn't hurt my thumb. It kind of bothers me that I now have to pay $200 to get buttons.
I hope I can find one cheap as places start dumping them. If anyone sees them cheap, let me know.
Thanks!
S
I think the K4NT or K4 Black or whatever its called has the best contrast of any eInk screen I've ever seen.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #38
Cybrpnk
... in cyberspace
Cybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura about

Device: Homebrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From Amazon.com...

It's quite possible that there is no such thing as an 800x600 Carta eInk screen. Besides, that would raise the price (IMHO).
Amazon.com changed the specs. On all the other Amazon pages it still says Carta.

I contacted the Amazon customer service and this is the reply I got:

Quote:
Hello,

I've checked the details on the various website you have mentioned and see that issue for new Kindle eink is appearing under technical details.

Thank you for letting us know of this flaw, please be assured that we will rectify the problem as soon as possible.

As always, please feel free to contact us should you have future suggestions, questions or comments. We have team of experts who takes into consideration each and every feedback of our customers and brings them into practice.

If you need any further assistance please write back to us using the link below,

*link removed*

We really appreciate you raising this concern.

Best regards,
*name removed*
Cybrpnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no added layers on the screen. It's using IR touch. You can tell by the fact that the screen is not flush with the bezel.
Nonsense, Jon. Numerous readers have raised bezels and capacitive touch screens (the PW2, to name but one example). I'm not saying that this new device doesn't have an IR touch screen, but the fact that the bezel is raised assuredly does not automatically imply an IR touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #40
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

My nontouch kindle has a raised bezel
Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #41
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have a nook tablet with a raised bezel. It absolutely has a capacitive touch screen.

Unless it's stated somewhere in the specs, I don't know how people can state what touch tech is is using .
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #42
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Or if they have physical access to the device in question
Old 09-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nonsense, Jon. Numerous readers have raised bezels and capacitive touch screens (the PW2, to name but one example). I'm not saying that this new device doesn't have an IR touch screen, but the fact that the bezel is raised assuredly does not automatically imply an IR touch screen.
I keep hearing IR Touchscreen here in the MR forum threads, but I cannot see anything on Amazon that refers to it. I'm curious where that bit of information came from, or whether it is merely speculation on someone's part that got interpreted by others as fact. The new Kindle 2014 does seem to have a deeper bezel than most newer readers as seen in this Amazon image on their USA website. From the Sony readers I owned that were IR touchscreens, there was a deep bezel too. Much deeper than the bezels on the K3, PWs, etc. But this is at best circumstantial evidence and certainly not conclusive. I'm guessing that one of the early reviewers mentioned IR touchscreen, whether factual or not, and thus it became accepted as fact.

ETA: Oops, the above link is to a popup window on an Amazon page, but it doesn't seem to work in Firefox, it just goes to the parent window. So select the "See more..." link on that page at:

Quote:
What's new
Touchscreen display, enhanced software, twice the storage… See more

Last edited by jswinden; 09-20-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Or you can see the image here below. I attached a cropped screen capture of it. But like I said, it looks like a deep bezel that MIGHT indicate an IR touchscreen, but as of yet I can find no conclusive information on same anywhere on Amazon or the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-Basic-2014.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	128606  
Old 09-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Or you can see the image here below. I attached a cropped screen capture of it. But like I said, it looks like a deep bezel that MIGHT indicate an IR touchscreen, but as of yet I can find no conclusive information on same anywhere on Amazon or the internet.
I don't think this is really conclusive, but C/Net is claiming that the Kindle (2014, Touch 2) uses IR sensors ..

Quote:
New budget Kindle
For $79, you can pick up the new Kindle (2014), which replaces the previous model that didn't have a touchscreen. It's worth noting, however, that the entry-level Kindle's touchscreen isn't the same as the capacitive touchscreens of the Paperwhite and Voyage. It's the older, IR-based touchscreen (IR sensors are embedded in the bezel).
http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-kindle-voyage/
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch 2