Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Sadly enough I have a ton of ereaders! I have

Kindle 3, Kindle 4 silver, Kindle 4 black, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW 2, Nook STR, Kobo Glo, and Kobo Aura HD.
Hmmm. Let's add them up, shall we?

Kindle 3: 241g
Kindle 4: 170g (x2)
Kindle Touch: 213g
Kindle PW2: 206g
Nook STR: 212g
Kobo Glo: 185g
Kobo Aura HD: 240g

Total: 1637g, or 1.637kg

Somewhat less than "a ton"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #137
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
All mine are listed in my in profile. Enough said I think

Actually my langishing in a drawer Kindle Keyboard isn't listed
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #138
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Total: 1637g, or 1.637kg

Somewhat less than "a ton"
Well maybe if we took the weight of all the books they can hold...
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #139
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Well maybe if we took the weight of all the books they can hold...
Very true .
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #140
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There's not enough room in my Profile.

I have a number of retired units in the United States that I should probably sell, like an ancient Sony 505.

And something like three Rocket ebook readers - or else they were the GEB 1100?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #141
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I have 6 eink ereaders in my house. My son has a Sony T2. My husband has a Bebook Mini and a Kobo Glo, he only uses the Glo now because he likes the built in light and the fact that I installed Coolreader for him so he can change pages by tapping exactly where he wants to. I have an original Cybook which is only a backup now as the software is very slow, a Sony T1 with FBReader installed, and Kobo Glo with Coolreader installed. I use the Glo most of the time now because my husband likes that the back light is not as bright as my booklight was. The Sony is a great backup though and since I got it was refurbished and on sale I do not mind not using it all the time.

I think I just love technology and the ereaders are getting better and better all the time. Maybe what I need to do is create a tech review website so that I can try out these great toys without having to buy each one.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #142
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I have five e-readers, all in perfect shape (Sony PRS-505, Kindle Keyboard, three Sony PRS-350s). I've been on a self-imposed "no buy" shopping hiatus for the last two years, in order to space out my e-reader purchases more prudently. And it's sort of a reinforcement-learning punishment, to force me to better learn these lessons:
  • technology improves. The great device you see now is not the end-all and be-all. (Corollary: seldom should you buy spares.)
  • technology prices deflate. That device that is priced at half off what it was yesterday is not necessarily a must-buy.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #143
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I actually just bought an iRex Illiad, so that brings up my total to 8.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #144
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Have had many computers, tablets laptops netbooks etc all of them obviously capable of reading but sticking to dedicated readers with the help of my wife the tally is as follows. Elonex, CoolEr, 2 Irivers, Cybook Orizon, Kobo touch, Kobo Mini, 2 Prestigio Per3464B and a Verso. All of these are e ink except for the Verso which is a LCD dedicated e reader. That is a total of 10 of which 2 have died, the CoolEr and one of the Irivers. The Kobo mini and the Prestigios are in reserve. The thing which has made it worse is that it is very difficult to get readers in South Africa (no one actually reads so no demand) so you tend to jump in when they are available. I am sure some of you have never heard of some of the brands above, I think they sell excess production in SA under a strange brand name. For example they sold a simple but smart e reader (which for once I don't have) called an A-Tek which I am sure very few have heard of.
I believe it was actually an Icarus which name is also fairly unknown.
It seems that very few can make a go of selling e readers so try to make the money from book sales of which Kindle and Kobo are particularly egregious examples. I have never used the Kobo store and the wifi has never been switched on and as for the restrictive Kindle I would never go close. When paying for e books I get them from local independent sellers.
I find this thread interesting as I am sure it is the only place unknown brands of e readers are mentioned and it is a good searchable place where the curious can start their research.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #145
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Hmmm. In e-ink I still have 2 Eco Readers, a Sony 650 and, um, 6 kindles. I did gift on 2 original Kobos and 2 Kindles.

It used to be that I couldn't bear to part with my books, but now it is my readers
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #146
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I have five e-readers, all in perfect shape (Sony PRS-505, Kindle Keyboard, three Sony PRS-350s). I've been on a self-imposed "no buy" shopping hiatus for the last two years, in order to space out my e-reader purchases more prudently. And it's sort of a reinforcement-learning punishment, to force me to better learn these lessons:
  • technology improves. The great device you see now is not the end-all and be-all. (Corollary: seldom should you buy spares.)
  • technology prices deflate. That device that is priced at half off what it was yesterday is not necessarily a must-buy.
Great advice. I'm trying to stop myself buying the latest Kindle 7 (is that the right terminology?) They have just released the basic Kindle in white on amazon.cn and it looks so alluring.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #147
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device....
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
My history with "eReaders" (read: any portable device used to read ebooks) has been the sames as my history with wives and girlfriends; only one at a time but I tend to stay good friends with the previous ones.

I have one primary device, currently a 8" Win8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro).

My previous device (Kindle 3) is kept charged and has a few books on it but hasn't been used more than once since the DV8p arrived. Earlier devices have become unusable due to aging batteries, but the last 3 still work otherwise (2 Sony Clies and a Fujitsu sub notebook). The earlier HP320LX (WinCE) failed ages ago after some 2 years in service.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #148
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I have 7 ereaders. I have the old Sony ereader, not the touch screen. I have kindle keyboard, 1st kindle touch, paperwhite. Then there's the B&N original nook , simple touch , and glowlight. I've tried to sell older models but no luck so far. I may donate them.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I've tried to sell older models but no luck so far. I may donate them.
My experience is that book readers sell very well and fetch good prices, but you need to sell them at the right time, when they're still reasonably current. I've resold almost all the readers that I've bought over the years, and often got prices for them that are as much as three quarters of what I paid for them.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #150
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
My history with "eReaders" (read: any portable device used to read ebooks) has been the sames as my history with wives and girlfriends; only one at a time but I tend to stay good friends with the previous ones.
Hmm, this is a good one... I have the same, except I cannot get rid of them until death do us part
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote