Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Editing Kindle Metadata

Is there any way to edit the metadata for files on the Kindle? I used mobipocket reader and set all the titles/authors (I thought) but when moved to Kindle, that metadata is not set.

Also I found out that using mobipocket reader to move books to Kindle doea not work right. it moves them to the ebook folder on the Kindle, but in order for the Kindle to see them, they must reside in the documents folder. sigh
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Is there any way to edit the metadata for files on the Kindle? I used mobipocket reader and set all the titles/authors (I thought) but when moved to Kindle, that metadata is not set.
I set the metadata in Mobipocket Creator and then just copy the .prc files to the Kindle documents folder via USB and the title author info works fine. I don't use Mobipocket Reader to update the Kindle.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
So you use mobipocket creator and not mobipocket reader to convert the books? I used the Reader import function.

Will try the other way and see if it helps, be a pita to reconvert everything but I hate having the titles and authors all screwedm up.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
The problem that I have with Mobicreator is that the files have to be converted from a format other than prc in order to set the metadata. So, if you have a prc file, you can't load it into the creator and change the metadata. At least, I can't get that to work.

You're sure right about the messy directory file system on the Kindle. It drives me crazy. I hope that they will address some of that in future software updates.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Also I found out that using mobipocket reader to move books to Kindle doea not work right. it moves them to the ebook folder on the Kindle, but in order for the Kindle to see them, they must reside in the documents folder. sigh
Note that the Kindle will detect books in the 'documents' folder, AND any folders under 'documents', so you can create any directory structure you want (including nested sub-folders). Kindle will still display them as a flat list, but I find it convenient to organize my directory structure so that when I am transferring via USB, I know what's what.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
ctitanic
Enthusiast
ctitanic is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsug Q1 UMPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
Note that the Kindle will detect books in the 'documents' folder, AND any folders under 'documents', so you can create any directory structure you want (including nested sub-folders). Kindle will still display them as a flat list, but I find it convenient to organize my directory structure so that when I am transferring via USB, I know what's what.
And in the SD Card, do you have to create a Documents folder too?
ctitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic View Post
And in the SD Card, do you have to create a Documents folder too?
When I inserted a SD card in mine the Kindle detected the card and created the directories. If you were setting up a card to send content to someone with a Kindle I imagine you'd have to create the directories yourself.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Jiiri
Enthusiast
Jiiri has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Metadata problem

Hi all, first post here. I just purchased a Kindle, and am loving it. I've been playing with a lot of things, trying to get a feel for what I can do, and I'm having some issues with the metadata as well. As Just4Fun mentioned, the Kindle's handling of the metadata for its book browser just sucks. When I grab books from different places, such as PG or Feedbooks (or...where is that other place.....oh yeah, here) it shows up on my Kindle as, say, MILL_UTILITARIANISM for one, and maybe just the book title, "A Tale of Two Cities" for another, and so on. This is becoming increasingly more annoying as I add more and more books to my Kindle. I'd like to open them and make them uniform, in the format "Dickens, Charles - A Tale of Two Cities," etc. Would BD be the where I need to go? I cannot open an already created PRC in Mobi Creator, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jiiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am gradually reposting all my Dickens books in "proper" Mobi format with full-sized images, metadata, etc. If you have my old ones, redownload them - they'll look a lot better AND should should up with full metadata in the Kindle's library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Jiiri
Enthusiast

Thanks, HarryT, I'll check that out. But the problem is something I would like to learn to fix on my own, since some books are from PG or other places, and I want to be able to find them on the Kindle easily.

Also...on the Kindle, there is a place for Title, and, on the books from the Kindle store, the author is on the right. If you don't have a Kindle, I can take a picture or something to show you. What I would be extremely interested in doing is making all of the public domain material match the Amazon material. Any ideas where that comes from, or which program I would use for that?

Again thanks...do you have a link to a book that you have updated so I could check it out? Thanks!

Jiiri
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jiiri,

Take a look at the tutorial I've posted on creating MobiPocket books here.

For a book with "proper" metadata (and nice pictures) try this version of Bleak House.

Do you not read the "MobiPocket Book Uploads" forum area? That's the place to go for info about creating Mobi-format books.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Jiiri
Enthusiast

I checked out your new versions, and that is PERFECT. Could I trouble you to teach me how you do that? I've spent the last 3 days playing around with Book Designer and Mobi Creator trying to figure it out, and have not been able to accomplish that. You are a wizard.

EDIT:

You posted the answers to my questions before I asked them. As I said, I'm brand new to this and it's a decent learning curve, so my apologies for being in the wrong place. I'll head over there immediately. I'll check out that tutorial ASAP.

Last edited by Jiiri; 12-24-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
Thanks, HarryT, I'll check that out. But the problem is something I would like to learn to fix on my own, since some books are from PG or other places, and I want to be able to find them on the Kindle easily.
My tool mobi2mobi written in Perl (should work for Mac, Windows and Linux and a Windows binary is available) described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718

should work for the Kindle also. It can add or change author, cover image and long title for books.

It would be very good if somebody tested it for the Kindle and gave some feedback if it works or not. I do not have any awz files to test it with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Should work just fine, Tommy. Kindle files are just v4 Mobi files.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
My tool mobi2mobi written in Perl (should work for Mac, Windows and Linux and a Windows binary is available) described here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718

should work for the Kindle also. It can add or change author, cover image and long title for books.

It would be very good if somebody tested it for the Kindle and gave some feedback if it works or not. I do not have any awz files to test it with.
Um, I have no idea how to use Perl on my mac. I'm not even close to wanting to learn any sort of programming thingy--regardless of how "easy" it is. I am more of a "double-click to unstuff, drag to applications folder, start application" sort of guy.

The whole drama of downloading several apps and trying to get them to talk to each other is too much of a reminder of my PC days. But it does sound like a cool app and it's nice to see some mac .prc creator stuff out there.

But I can't use until it's a simple application file...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote