Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #781
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
How to restore Paperwhite? ("Repair Needed")
Damaged this file: AdManager.jar.

USB-disk is accessible less than 10 seconds, "Magic Key" for the diags menu is unknown...
There is no known method yet. I'm afraid that you will have to create your own data.stgz file which executes the correct commands.

Be sure to let us know how you did it once you found the solution.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #782
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Me again.

I have now used 7-Zip (all ok but haven't checked yet) but after uninstalling and reinstalling ATK, still it's telling me no USB detected. During install I did nothing differently but this time it asked me to confirm I wanted half a dozen drivers installed, had to say yes to each, which gave me hope that the drivers were installing... but no.

Also during install, a DOS-look window came up (years since I've seen that) and told me I had to have administrator privileges to install these drivers, which surely is irrelevant as (a) I'm the only user and have full privileges (always sounds so posh, like the members' enclosure), and (b) ATK did install. ??

Or should the kindle be connected before running ATK? In the debrick guide, plugging it comes next, not before.

Aaagh...
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #783
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
How to restore Paperwhite? ("Repair Needed")
Damaged this file: AdManager.jar.

USB-disk is accessible less than 10 seconds, "Magic Key" for the diags menu is unknown...
Diags menu doesn't use a "magic key". On previous kindles you start the diags menu by booting with an ENABLE_DIAGS file on the USB Drive, but this method does not work for the PW.

EDIT: I have explored the PW diags menu, but I cannot remember how I got there... I hope I posted it somewhere. I see that I posted information ABOUT using it but now HOW to get there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2265817

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #784
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
ixtab
I experimented with AdManager.jar and was mistaken - have cleaned old, and new have put in other place.
The command is necessary:
mv -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar.bak /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar

How to create correct data.stgz?

geekmaster
I download MfgTool, but it see Kindle less than 10 seconds. Communication interrupts, activate "Repair Needed" screen.
What it is possible to make?

Paperwhite (Wi-Fi) serial: B024

mntus.params:
Code:
# auto-generated file -- do not modify!

# computed values
MNTUS_PART_START=16
MNTUS_PART_SIZE=1431544
MNTUS_PART_OFFSET=8192

# constant values
# FAT32 fs
MNTUS_FATSIZE=32
# Align fs data to 4MB boundary
MNTUS_ALIGNMENT_MB=4
# Use 8k cluster size for better write performance
MNTUS_SECTORS_PER_CLUSTER=16

Thanks.

PS: usbNetwork 0.3 with adress 192.168.15.244 installed.

PPS: Excuse for my bad English.

Last edited by kaznelson; 10-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #785
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anybody know how to get into the diags menu on a Paperwhite. I have explored it TWICE, and yet, I cannot remember how to get there now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember now. After installing NiLuJe's simple usbNet repackaged for the PW, I did "idme -d --bootmode diags". It is nice that amazon added the "-d" parameter to idme, when booting from main (unlike the K4 and K5 where it was only available in diags). I was planning to add a main startup script that looks for /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS and changes bootmode to diags before restarting.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-23-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #786
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kaznelson: At which point in the boot process does the PW throw the 'YKNR' screen, exactly?

If it's during/after the splash screen with the spinner, you might be able to get in via SSH if you enabled ssh @ boot, and throw a quick 'stop framework' [or whatever job actually handles the YKNR fallback].

@geekmaster: I assume you used idme to set the bootmode var from SSH on main? (Because, yeah, I was starting to wonder how you managed to use imx_usb_loader, since I thought it relied on the device being in recoverymode ^^). No idea if the diags exit properly sets this back to main, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #787
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: I assume you used idme to set the bootmode var from SSH on main? (Because, yeah, I was starting to wonder how you managed to use imx_usb_loader, since I thought it relied on the device being in recoverymode ^^)
See my edit above. Yes, that whole (now removed) MfgTool and /imx_usb_loader comment was just a brain fart (I am now drinking my morning coffee). It was "idme -d". Unfortunately, that does not help us for debricking if main cannot boot.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #788
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kaznelson: At which point in the boot process does the PW throw the 'YKNR' screen, exactly?

If it's during/after the splash screen with the spinner, you might be able to get in via SSH if you enabled ssh @ boot, and throw a quick 'stop framework' [or whatever job actually handles the YKNR fallback].

@geekmaster: I assume you used idme to set the bootmode var from SSH on main? (Because, yeah, I was starting to wonder how you managed to use imx_usb_loader, since I thought it relied on the device being in recoverymode ^^). No idea if the diags exit properly sets this back to main, though.
@NiLuJe: does the jailbreak still support RUNME.sh? That would be the easiest option, I guess

@kaznelson: remember that if the PW uses the same logic as the Touch, you will also need to remove the "marker" file which causes the YKNR screen to appear in the first place. (echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts)

...and, assuming that you get it to run again: Don't make the same mistake again. If you only want to mess around with java stuff, your safest bet is to "restart framework" via ssh, instead of actually rebooting.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #789
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@NiLuJe: does the jailbreak still support RUNME.sh? That would be the easiest option, I guess
Stock firmware provides some sort of poor man's RUNME.sh. Check /etc/upstart/filesystems_var_local.conf. There could be
/var/local/system/fixup
and /var/local/system/onetimefixup. Of course, creating of these files isn't so easy as creating of RUNME.sh on user parition , but wuth data.stgz it's a feasible task.

(These files should have executable bit set. And include shebang line if they are shell scripts.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #790
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NiLuJe
Quote:
At which point in the boot process does the PW throw the 'YKNR' screen, exactly?
I press power button:
1) Screen blinks, ~5 seconds the screen with a tree and bookboy.
2) Screen blinks, ~7 seconds the screen with a tree and bookboy, bottom on a circle of a stick (not progressbar).
3)Screen light, YKNR-screen activate.

You jaibreak works, start on ~10-11 second.

/mnt/us/runme.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
mv -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar.bak /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar
mntroot ro
Not effect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Don't make the same mistake again. If you only want to mess around with java stuff, your safest bet is to "restart framework" via ssh, instead of actually rebooting.
Yes, I have understood... Too late.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #791
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
mntroot ro
Not effect...
That looks correct to me. You should append some line which allows you to verify that the script was actually run - like "touch /mnt/us/kaznelson.ok" or "cp /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/AdManager.jar /mnt/us/", or whatever. If it does work, then it's likely that the lab126_gui.restarts is not the correct file anymore. Try with "rm -f /var/local/upstart/*.restarts" ...

Or, in the worst case, you can go for the brutal method:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

However, I cannot guarantee that this will work on the PW (it does on the Touch). In the worst case, it could make things even worse. You have been warned, so use this at your own risk (if at all).

Last edited by ixtab; 10-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #792
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: Yep, it should still run /mnt/us/runme.sh at the end . (I haven't personally checked that it works, but it seems trivial enough, so it should ^^).

@kaznelson: Thanks. That should be far enough into the boot process for you to get your fingers in it either via SSH, or via the JB as eureka and ixtab said.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #793
kaznelson
Old Kaz

ixtab
Your way has worked... Once.

The file is created:
touch/mnt/us/kaznelson.ok

And removal has given one more cycle of loading attempts:
rm-f/var/local/upstart/*.restarts

It seems jailbreak too long works: runme.sh it is searched on a step 8 (penultimate), and the device is switched off. Already 10 times - unsuccessfully.

NiLuJe
Grand please, make data.stgz only with runme.sh support...

Last edited by kaznelson; 10-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #794
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kaznelson: Right, there's a bunch of sleeps in the JB. That probably doesn't help.

Note that if reseting the counter only made it loop a bit more, that's because you didn't actually fix what was wrong (besides reseting the counter), and doing the same thing in a script without the sleep calls probably won't change much.

EDIT: That said, here's a nerfed JB that doesn't sleep. (There's absolutely no safety checks anymore, don't use this on anything other than a K5 [well, not that you can in this form, but, still]).
Attached Files
File Type: zip ninja-jb.zip (1.5 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #795
kaznelson
Old Kaz

It alive!!!

NiLuJe
First I have not specified the necessary commands in runme.sh - only the test.
And time up to YKNR differs at each broken loading - imho, sleep strongly reduced probability of start runme.sh...

Many thanks for the fast help!
All of you the greatest experts on Kindle!!!

Tags
debricking