Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Concerns with Lack of Apps for Fire

Recently there have been several articles about apps for the new Kindle Fire. These discussions indicate that the Fire will not take apps from the Marketplace and will be limited to the Amazon App store.

My impression is that the Apps in the Amazon store are severely lacking. Anyone else have that impression? Since there are several apps that I use regularly on my smartphone that I would want to have available on the Fire, I am seriously thinking about cancelling my Fire order. Anyone have further information on this subject?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Recently there have been several articles about apps for the new Kindle Fire. These discussions indicate that the Fire will not take apps from the Marketplace and will be limited to the Amazon App store.

My impression is that the Apps in the Amazon store are severely lacking. Anyone else have that impression? Since there are several apps that I use regularly on my smartphone that I would want to have available on the Fire, I am seriously thinking about cancelling my Fire order. Anyone have further information on this subject?

cheers
It's not surprising the you would only have access to Amazon's app store. What specific apps are you seeking that aren't there?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of my favorite Apps are Business Calendar (it syncs with Google Calendar; Weatherbug (the paid version is not as good as the free one); DW contacts (because it takes postal addresses and email addresses as well as phone numbers and syncs with a computer; and Dropbox.

cheers
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Wow, I didn't realize Dropbox isn't there (just checked). I can understand your concern.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Access to the Kindle Fire is a reason for more developers to publish their apps in the Amazon Store.

There have been reports that you will be able to side-load .apk files onto the Fire, see for example Amazon: The Kindle Fire Will Get Rooted but we won't know for sure until the device is released.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Leep
Guru

Thanks wallcraft. I did see that article and agree that it looks promising.

I guess that I'm somewhat disappointed that it's starting to look like Amazon is adopting 'a big brother attitude' that will need to be circumvented by hacking.

cheers
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Based on how successful the rumored pre-order quantity has been, I wouldn't worry about the lack of apps for Kindle Fire. Dropbox will surely make one available as soon as Kindle Fire releases since they have been taking the amazon kindle app approach - making the app available in every platform.

From years of using iphone/ipad & mac, my experience is that there really is no need to have gazillon apps available on a specific platform, all they need is to have few very well made key apps available to make the device/platform successful, other apps are mostly just inferior duplicates that confuse the consumers rather than helping them making the right decision.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I think as we get closer to release date and lot of apps will start to pop up in their app store. Currently from the links I've read from Amazons developer site they are testing all apps submitted for inclusion to the app store to make sure they are optimized to the Fire. They have been testing the apps currently in the app store to make sure they are optimized and run smoothly on the Fire.

They have also ask developers to submit their apps ASAP if they want them included by launch date, as some apps may require a week to test.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I don't see the number pf apps being the problem. If anything I think you will eventually find apps that only on the Amazon App Store and build specifically for the Fire tablet.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
My impression is that the Apps in the Amazon store are severely lacking. Anyone else have that impression?
Yes I feel the same exact way. You just cannot compare 450K apps to 10K, granted a good amount are garbage, but then again that applies to every market out there.

I really like having access to the appstore, but I would never want to be restricted to the appstore.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
I have found that most of the apps that I want from the appstore that aren't there are content apps. Now I know why.
Hbo, Directv, etc. Also some banking and my SiriusXM app. I'm of two minds about the Dropbox app. It's a direct competitor to their Cloud app, but perhaps they will see the benefit of clogging up someone else's servers while using their device.

I'm just hoping that they allow external content (movies, music, TV).
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
Dropbox will surely make one available as soon as Kindle Fire releases since they have been taking the amazon kindle app approach - making the app available in every platform.
It's probably not a matter of Dropbox 'making one available'. Amazon is probably blocking it because they want you to pay to use their cloud.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Download the android market .apk. Install apps.

Simple.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You can always use the Dropbox website if there is no app at first
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
You can always use the Dropbox website if there is no app at first
You can sideload the Dropbox app. You can grab a copy at their site.
Unless they block sideloading some apps they will have no control over.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, kindle fire