Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
twb010
twb010 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Function as SD Reader?

Can you use the Reader as an SD reader, or do you have to buy a separate adapter to copy files onto the SD card and then insert the card into the Reader?

edit: BTW, I just wanted to thank this forum for pointing me in the direction of the 50 dollar reader deal. My girlfriend was interested in getting one, and I happened across that offer so I decided to get one for myself as well.
twb010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
it'd be better to buy a seperate SD-reader. You won't see all files in the sony reader. Besides, it's transferspeed is far less than a dedicated SD-reader.

Besides, if you can afford a 350 dollar ebookreader, a 10 dollar SD-card reader should be no probs
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, if you transfer the books to the SD card in a seperate dard reader, then it will be a lot slower then doing it via Connect to the SD card in the Sony. The Connect sorts out things like font sizes and book loading. So it's a lot faster that way. Otherwise the reader has to do the SLOW work for you to fix thing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, if you transfer the books to the SD card in a seperate dard reader, then it will be a lot slower then doing it via Connect to the SD card in the Sony. The Connect sorts out things like font sizes and book loading. So it's a lot faster that way. Otherwise the reader has to do the SLOW work for you to fix thing.
But that's a "one time" thing per book. You'll have to wait a few seconds the first time you load the book (or the first time you select a different font size). Once the Reader has done the pagination there's no speed difference.

Personally, though, I load books using the Connect software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally, though, I load books using the Connect software.
I agree. I have card readers but they give me no real advantage over the Connect software and its connection to the Reader. Congratulations on your purchase.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Good choice twb010 the PRS is a fantastic unit but as a SD reader its not viable really!
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Some of us have tried SD cards and have given them up. I have 38 books on my reader now. I have had more and not come close to filling the Reader's internal memory. I don't use an SD card now.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
twb010
twb010 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I wanted to know if I should order a card and reader at the same time, but from all the comments I've read about lots of books on internal memory alone, I decided to hold off on getting an SD card for the moment.

If I were to get a card, it sounds like the Reader itself would work just fine as a reader. I don't have any other SD devices, so I'm not going to be putting any files other than books on it, and since books are small I'm not too worried about the transfer speed.
twb010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can store 100+ normal books in internal memory, so unless you want to store exceptionally large files you'll probably manage OK without a card. I used to use one, but gave it up - for me it added nothing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote