Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
'From iPad to Xoom'

A good (long) read. Yes, he is a iOS developer, but he says: "I enjoy using new technology and enjoy seeing the different ways companies approach similar problems."

Quote:
My goal with this is to see how it would replace my iPad in day-to-day use.
Quote:
Most gadget site and tech columnist reviews don’t go deep enough with a device to show how truly useful it is over an extended period of time. My goal with these writeups is to see if I am able to replace my default device, in this case an iPad, with the new hardware and to write about my experiences.
http://carpeaqua.com/2011/05/09/from-ipad-to-xoom/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yawn
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
So... an iOS developer wouldn't recommend the Xoom over the iPad?

Shock. Awe. I never saw that coming.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
To be fair he is comparing it to honneycomb 3.0 and everyone including motorola & google knew it was a buggy mess.

Having since tested both the xoom on 3.0 and 3.1 i can say the xoom with 3.1 is MASSIVELY better than when it was released with 3.0. its like a whole new OS (no joke) i own a galaxy tab with its 2.2 android and imho the ipad 2 and ios is alot better. i even think the ipad 2 is alot better than the xoom with honycomb 3.0 but with honeycomb 3.1 i do feel that xoom can now truly compete with the ipad 2 and ios. and to be honest with more tweeks to honeycomb i believe it will be better.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
...but with honeycomb 3.1 i do feel that xoom can now truly compete with the ipad 2 and ios. and to be honest with more tweeks to honeycomb i believe it will be better.
It already is.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

Anything about what he actually said? Where is he wrong?

"My general experience with Honeycomb and the Xoom was positive,"

" If you’re deeply integrated into the Google ecosystem with Gmail, Calendar, Picassa and all the other services Google offers, I doubt you will find a better integrated experience."

Last edited by RockdaMan; 05-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

well, i prefer android myself, but i'd recommend the ipad over the xoom also. as good as the honeycomb is, android's still got some maturing to do. i don't want to push people away from android with something this buggy. when you can use the stock browser without fc'ing and run older apps without fc'ing i may start to push android tablets to people who ask.

plus the app selection needs to catch up. android has a lot of alternatives to ios' apps, but they're usually not as good. kind of like linux's alternative apps to commercial windows apps. they may be good, but just not as polished.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
well, i prefer android myself, but i'd recommend the ipad over the xoom also. as good as the honeycomb is, android's still got some maturing to do. i don't want to push people away from android with something this buggy. when you can use the stock browser without fc'ing and run older apps without fc'ing i may start to push android tablets to people who ask.

plus the app selection needs to catch up. android has a lot of alternatives to ios' apps, but they're usually not as good. kind of like linux's alternative apps to commercial windows apps. they may be good, but just not as polished.
The whole app selection "needs to catch up" and "not as good" is such an old outdated argument. Now for tablets that may ring true but for phones, it's just makes me roll my eyes.
Almost all major apps are on both platforms. Bank of America is no better on iPhone than it is on Android and vice versa. it's all rhetoric nonsense. Each have a few apps that one has the other does not. But almost all of the major apps one would really use are across both platforms and run nice.

It's all a bogus numbers game. You do know the Apple counts each one of it's 10,000 Tip apps as individual apps.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The whole app selection "needs to catch up" and "not as good" is such an old outdated argument.
You would not say that if you had an iPhone.

Quality, the best apps first, faster revs, no malware.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 05-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
(...) faster revs, (...)
Really?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
You would not say that if you had an iPhone.

Quality, the best apps first, faster revs, no malware.

I did have an iPhone, I had the 3 and the 3Gs, I can tell you first hand it's a fallacy.

Best apps first, in the beginning yes but now, nope.
faster? Ummmm a HUGE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Google search, google navigation, google voice apps on Android vs iPhone, yeah OK
No Malware? ahhh the Apples distortiong reality field rears it's head againg Papa Jobs will keep us safe, until it happens.
t

as far as malware is concerned hmm one of the best apps available that detects, removes malware, backs up your data, locates your phone, auto shuts down, is called LookOut Mobile. Consider THE most must have app's and available on who now first? Oh yeah Android. Still hasn't made it's way to the iPhone yet, though it is in the works.

but yeah that's right all apps only go through iPhone first

do you have NFL mobile yet?

Ahh the sky in apple world always has rainbows and it rains gum drops everyday
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

Ok Bos, if you say so.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Anything about what he actually said? Where is he wrong?
Never said he was "wrong" about anything. You seem to be set in permanent defense-mode when it comes to people saying ANYTHING even remotely derogatory towards your precious Apple. Your schtick is old. Give it a rest.

I read the article, and it was very well-written. But, regardless of what the article had in it, the points he made, etc, he's still an iOS developer who prefers the iPad and wouldn't recommend a Xoom to anyone in its stead.

It's that very notion that I'm not surprised about. Someone who develops for iOS devices showing preference to a device with iOS is something anyone could have put together just reading your original post.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
RockdaMan
Banned

You seem to believe that it's impossible for one to be objective.

I don't think we live in that kind of world.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The whole app selection "needs to catch up" and "not as good" is such an old outdated argument. Now for tablets that may ring true but for phones, it's just makes me roll my eyes.
Almost all major apps are on both platforms. Bank of America is no better on iPhone than it is on Android and vice versa. it's all rhetoric nonsense. Each have a few apps that one has the other does not. But almost all of the major apps one would really use are across both platforms and run nice.

It's all a bogus numbers game. You do know the Apple counts each one of it's 10,000 Tip apps as individual apps.
i wish your statement were true, but it's not. for example, pocketmoney... it's a wonderful program on ios, but the android version is a joke. from ui to functionality. i can't even get it to import the same qif files correctly that the ios version has no problems with.

grocery iq (at least the last time i tried it) had a more tablet centric layout on ios than the hd version did on android.

there are other examples, but these are all i can think of right now.

games - no contest. android does have copies of the casual games, but the serious high graphic quality games aren't there... yet, hopefully. there are some 3 or 4 games that are specifically made for the tegra2 but don't seem to look as good as ios games running the unreal engine.

android still has catching up and needs to incorporate some standards. sure we've got the most free apps, but how many of them are junk. until we've got more paid quality apps then we've not caught up.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote