Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Idea for a Kobo protective case

Here is the sort of case I would like to buy for my Kobo e-reader:

A simple one-piece, hard moulded plastic shell that slips over the front of the reader to protect the screen. Curved a bit like the back of the Kobo e-readers for strength, and with cut-outs for the USB port, light switch, etc. so the reader could be charged with the shell on.

For reading the shell could be removed, turned around, and slipped on to the back of the reader. If the cut-outs were symmetrical then the power/light switches etc. would still be accessible in either position.

Since it is just one piece of plastic it would be very cheap to manufacture once the mould had been created. A seperate design for Touch/Glo/Mini would be needed.

Another option could be a two-piece unit, one piece goes on the back and one on the front, designed so that the connecting surface between the two pieces took the pressure if the reader was crushed. (With the one-piece unit the Kobo's bezel would have to take the pressure). As with the one-piece version the front cover could be turned around and put on the back when reading.

It could be called the Kobo Klamshell and come in different colours with the same pattern as the Kobo e-reader back panel.

(I bought a BookArmor shield case for my Kobo Glo, it works well but is a lot bigger and a lot more expensive than a simple hard shell needs to be).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

A simple one-piece, hard moulded plastic shell that slips over the front of the reader to protect the screen. Curved a bit like the back of the Kobo e-readers for strength, and with cut-outs for the USB port, light switch, etc. so the reader could be charged with the shell on.

For reading the shell could be removed, turned around, and slipped on to the back of the reader. If the cut-outs were symmetrical then the power/light switches etc. would still be accessible in either position.
The exact description of the Pocketbook 360 cover! I loved it, and really can't understand why it hasn't spread to all manufacturers (nor to the other Pocketbook models, for that matter):

clipping perfectly to front or back time after time, for years of faithful service. Defintely worth having!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Since it is just one piece of plastic it would be very cheap to manufacture once the mould had been created. A seperate design for Touch/Glo/Mini would be needed.
I think that this would be great, if anyone does it I would jump at the chance to buy one at a reasonable price!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yes please I want one too!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Sounds like a good use for a piece of vacuum molded Lexan polycarbonate. Makes me wish I'd gotten around to building that vacuum table I researched a couple years ago for another project... I'd like one of these and it could be light, strong, come in multiple colors and be pretty cheap to mass produce.

OTOH, there would be no soft materials present to cushion the reader like a padded cover would and the plastic would directly transfer any shock to the reader... but, I like the concept. I wonder if there is some sort of foam with a hard shell layer that something like this could be cast or molded from? Just a hard shell thick enough to keep the center from deforming and hitting the e-ink screen from a reasonable drop height, say 4-6'...

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-08-2013 at 01:05 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Yes! That would be great *dreams*
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
still don't get why the PB360 did not get more popular... incredible design if you use one. I like my new Kobo mini...but my 360 plus still wins by a margin with customizatio, lid, and buttons...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
still don't get why the PB360 did not get more popular... incredible design if you use one. I like my new Kobo mini...but my 360 plus still wins by a margin with customizatio, lid, and buttons...
.. and wrist page turn and pdf viewer... You can customise the Kobo to some extent, though, and if you are reading a non fiction book, being able to see footnotes as a pop-out is a great improvement.

Sorry for the OT!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote