Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Aptosreader
Aptosreader began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Internal memory problem with Pocket Pro

Hello:

This is my first time posting on this Forum, it's been a great resource since I got my PP (a month ago). There is an issue that I've been going back and forth with email tech support without much success, I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas.

First, I'm on a Mac so I know I'm in the minority here but maybe there are others. Things were fine until I upgraded the firmware to the latest posted in March. After that when I plugged in the PP to the USB port, the Mac didn't recognize the device and asked me if I wanted to format it. I did, and since then I can't see anything loaded in the internal memory. I formatted it as FAT (I assume 32) and even gave it a master boot block (suggestion from another thread). The weird thing is, I can see the PP on the desktop. Calibre recognizes the PP and I can load books on to the internal memory, I see the books in the PP folder on my desktop, but after I disconnect the PP, there is nothing in the internal memory (just the recent files folder). I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, installed it and it will not recognize the PP. All this is done without an SD card (My SD card works fine and I can load/read without problems).

During the troubleshooting process, I reformatted the PP several times (even tried it in Windows xp) and reverted back to the December firmware, all without success.

Thanks for listening to my sob story,

Thoughts anyone?
Aptosreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosreader View Post
I formatted it as FAT (I assume 32) and even gave it a master boot block (suggestion from another thread).
The internal memory should be formatted FAT16, but the SD card can be either FAT16 or FAT32. You should do a full format instead of a fast format, especially if you are formatting due to a file system error caused by unplugging the USB cable before dismounting the device. Any real formatting tool should automatically give you the correct MBR for the format that it is installing.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Aptosreader

Internal memory problem with Pocket Pro

Quote:
The internal memory should be formatted FAT16, but the SD card can be either FAT16 or FAT32. You should do a full format instead of a fast format, especially if you are formatting due to a file system error caused by unplugging the USB cable before dismounting the device. Any real formatting tool should automatically give you the correct MBR for the format that it is installing.
Thanks for the reply. I only have a 'FAT' choice on the Mac (don't know whether it's 16 or 32). I'll get a hold of a PC and try the 16 format.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Aptosreader

Quote:
Did a full FAT16 format on the PC, copied some book files to the PP, same problem ... nothing but the recent files folder.

Rats.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did a full FAT16 format on the PC, copied some book files to the PP, same problem ... nothing but the recent files folder.
This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure that you do not have an SD card in the Sd slot and are actually seeing the SD file system? I am only mentioning that because I have actually been surprised that way once or twice. It usually happens to me right after a firmware update when the firmware install SD card is still in the SD slot.
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Aptosreader

Quote:
This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure that you do not have an SD card in the Sd slot and are actually seeing the SD file system? I am only mentioning that because I have actually been surprised that way once or twice. It usually happens to me right after a firmware update when the firmware install SD card is still in the SD slot.
No such thing as a dumb question. The SD card has always been out while I've been troubleshooting. Whenever it's in, two disks appear on the desktop. I can copy the same ebook to the SD card and the Ppro internal memory and when I remove the device, the ebook only appears on the SD card, not the internal.

Chris.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
No such thing as a dumb question. The SD card has always been out while I've been troubleshooting. Whenever it's in, two disks appear on the desktop. I can copy the same ebook to the SD card and the Ppro internal memory and when I remove the device, the ebook only appears on the SD card, not the internal.

Chris.
Are you using the "Safely Remove..." function and Waiting for the OK?
Recently Read is created by the PEz, whisch implies there is some sort of file system.
Is there a "Restore PC" folder?

Lastly, can your PEz see books on the SD card when inserted?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Aptosreader

Quote:
Are you using the "Safely Remove..." function and Waiting for the OK?
Recently Read is created by the PEz, whisch implies there is some sort of file system.
Is there a "Restore PC" folder?

Lastly, can your PEz see books on the SD card when inserted?
That's one of the problems with the Mac (others have had it also). When you eject the PP (both the internal and SD cards), they just re-load. My workaround is that once I'm finished with the PP, I shut-down the Mac (this automatically 'safely' removes all disks) and then unplug the PP.

the PP does see all books on the SD card (have a large library and everything works fine) just have the issue with the internal memory. Thanks for the try.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
My workaround is that once I'm finished with the PP, I shut-down the Mac (this automatically 'safely' removes all disks) and then unplug the PP.
I do not use a Mac, but I have read that the Mac has a disk utility that can "unmount" or "dismount" the disk that is much safer to use than "eject". Apparently, on the Mac, "eject" is only for media that is actually ejectable. On my PC, I prefer to just turn disk caching off for removeable media, so that there is little chance of removing the media just as a write to it is occuring.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Aptosreader

Quote:
I do not use a Mac, but I have read that the Mac has a disk utility that can "unmount" or "dismount" the disk that is much safer to use than "eject". Apparently, on the Mac, "eject" is only for media that is actually ejectable. On my PC, I prefer to just turn disk caching off for removeable media, so that there is little chance of removing the media just as a write to it is occuring.
Thanks Dave, The 'unmount' command in Mac's disk utility has the same effect. The PP will unmount and instantly 're-mount'. It's just a peculiarity of that device, nothing I've ever plugged into the USB port (in 10 years of using Macs) has had this behavior. Also, the standard eject command (at least in OSX) will safely eject most anything (flash drives, cards, external and internal drives or partitions, just not the boot drive). I knew this was an issue with Macs and the PP before my purchase so I knew what I was getting into.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Thanks Dave, The 'unmount' command in Mac's disk utility has the same effect. The PP will unmount and instantly 're-mount'. It's just a peculiarity of that device, nothing I've ever plugged into the USB port (in 10 years of using Macs) has had this behavior. Also, the standard eject command (at least in OSX) will safely eject most anything (flash drives, cards, external and internal drives or partitions, just not the boot drive). I knew this was an issue with Macs and the PP before my purchase so I knew what I was getting into.
Sorry, I am not much help with anything, am I.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Aptosreader

Quote:
Sorry, I am not much help with anything, am I
On the contrary, It's nice to know someone's listening. Hopefully I'll hear something soon from tech support email. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Someone is listening

Quote:
On the contrary, It's nice to know someone's listening. Hopefully I'll hear something soon from tech support email. Thanks.
Dear Aptosreader:

I am listening also. I work for Astak. I generally monitor at first and step in when needed. I like your honesty and I appreciate that you did know there might be a problem.

Do not hesitate to call (tollfree) to 1-866-368-8788 and let our tech support try to help. You can also email to: support@astak.com. IF you do not hear back fairly promptly just drop a post and let me know.

Thank you and welcome to our group!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ubuntu and Windows user here. Sorry!

Sounds like a wild automount.
Is there a disk utility that you set Mount properties like in Linux( tweaks /etc/fstab) ? You do not want the auto-remount.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Aptosreader

Quote:
Sounds like a wild automount.
Is there a disk utility that you set Mount properties like in Linux( tweaks /etc/fstab) ? You do not want the auto-remount.
Not that I'm aware of. The PP is the only device that seems to have that behavior. No problem with flash drives, ipods, SD cards, cameras etc... .

Tags
format, mac