Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Exclamation eReader to match Amazon... more is always better!

Just saw this and didn't see it here yet, cool stuffs!

June 30, 2009
eReader Now Matching Amazon E-Book Pricing
By JAMES KENDRICK of GigaOm
I am a big fan of e-books and a long-time customer of eReader, a Fictionwise company. One area of eReader’s business model that I’ve been less than happy with, however, is the pricing of newly released books. Its pricing has always been competitive with paper book releases, but not with Amazon’s new release pricing for Kindle e-books. That has all changed, according to an email I got from Fictionwise today.

Amazon Kindle customers have enjoyed paying just $9.95 for newly released books, and for good reason. That pricing compares nicely with hardcover book prices, as it is much cheaper — as it should be. The cost of producing e-books is obviously much lower than that of printing real, dead-tree books, and the Amazon pricing makes perfect sense.

I’ve purchased new releases from Amazon instead of Fictionwise for that very reason — the eReader price was simply too high. I was thrilled to get this notice today from Fictionwise that details its new pricing scheme:

No e-book priced over $12.95
All new e-books $9.95 or less
All New York Times bestsellers $9.95
Plus 15% rewards on all purchases

This is wonderful news and will save me big bags of money. It shows how great competition is for the consumer and also how good Fictionwise’s purchasing strength must be now that it belongs to Barnes & Noble.

Copyright 2009 GigaOm. All Rights Reserved.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Ceili; 06-30-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is awesome. I've wanted to buy The Strain for my 505, but didn't want to pay $20+ for it. Now e-Reader.com has it for $9.95--less than Amazon!

What format are their books?

EDIT: Looks like Fictionwise is honoring the same pricing scheme, nice.

What is the best format Fictionwise offers for a 505, secure Mobipocket or Microsoft Reader? I'm using a Mac.

Last edited by Teddman; 06-30-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It depends on you. Neither of those formats are native for a 505, and secure means that you are not supposed to convert it to another format (ie it has DRM). Therefore the official answer is that it will not work. It is technically possible to remove DRM and convert it to a format that the Sony will read. I don't know if this is legal for you or not.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

What a pain. I'm looking more into this and you have to have a pid just to download the file, etc. Now I have to boot up a Windows PC to even buy the book? This is ridiculous.
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
What a pain. I'm looking more into this and you have to have a pid just to download the file, etc. Now I have to boot up a Windows PC to even buy the book? This is ridiculous.
I buy eReader books from Fictionwise using my linux pc all the time. The pid is your credit card number. The only format that I sometimes buy that I need windows for is drm'ed lit. Then I just start up VirtualBox running XP and buy the lit format book.

edit
Sorry I didn't read your post clearly, Teddman you were talking about eReader.com and not fictionwise. I've never bought anything from there so you might need windows with that site.

Last edited by derrell; 06-30-2009 at 11:36 PM.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
EDIT: Looks like Fictionwise is honoring the same pricing scheme, nice.
Where did you see that? I am at the Fictionwise website right now and not seeing it. I did check the prices of some books I was interested in, but with my club discount, three were cheaper at Fictionwise anyway and only was was cheaper at ereader.com

I would prefer to stay at Fictionwise if they will match this deal.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Teddman
Addict

Well, The Strain is now the same price on Fictionwise ($9.95):

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8...ck-Hogan/?si=0

Maybe it's just that book that went on sale at both sites, but it used to be more expensive. As far as I can tell, all the NY Time Bestsellers are $9.99ish at Fictionwise now.

Last edited by Teddman; 06-30-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yay! I hope this puts even more pressure on the publishers to make prices reasonable. This could also put pressure on Amazon since they won't be the low price leader. More device competition could mean better features and prices, too. Competition == good!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This thread is a duplicate of "eReader.com is getting aggresive with pricing"

@Teddman That is a running promo Fictionwise/BoB/eReader has all NYT Best sellers selling for no more than $9.95

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Teddman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
@Teddman That is a running promo Fictionwise/BoB/eReader has all NYT Best sellers selling for no more than $9.95

=X=
Not BooksonBoard, they have most NYT Bestsellers for significantly more.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Excellent! Let the price war begin Hopefully this will also encourage more people to get into ebooks instead of buying paper copies all of the time.

Better for the environment, cheaper, easier to handle a library of books.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
This is awesome. I've wanted to buy The Strain for my 505, but didn't want to pay $20+ for it. Now e-Reader.com has it for $9.95--less than Amazon!

What format are their books?
Surprisingly enough, they are in eReader format .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

I just done a few checks on the prices on fictionwise and compared it with waterstone.

To my shock, I found some waterstone ebooks to be cheaper then fictionwise.
However fictionwise had 'The Strain' which was a lot cheaper then waterstone.

It's still best to check on prices before buying. The only small issue will be the formats the ebooks will be on. But that can be taken care of
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It does not look like Fictionwise is matching it at all. I checked some Stephen King books because Books on Board has them on special, and The Shining was:

$35 reduced to $12.95 at eReader
$35 before clubs and rewards at Fictionwise and Books on Board

eReader is clearly the new bargain place. IF it's a NYT bestseller I suppose I would go to Fictionwise because my club membership would take the price even lower. But unless Fictionwise is prepared to match the eReader offer, they will no longer be my sole supplier. I am annoyed about that, actually. They are run by the same company and I would prefer to stick with one store, so I don't see why they are not matching it.

I would be worrying if I were Books on Board though
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote