Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
peggynek
Enthusiast
peggynek began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Magazines and newspapers subscriptions

Hi,
please, can you tell me, if it is possible to download subscribed magazines (newspapers) from Amazon web-pages without Whispernet? Or is it mandatory to download it with Whispernet?

I know that books can be downloaded on computer and manually synced on PC, but what about magazines?
You know, I will be some time in place where is no Sprint EVDO coverage. I would like to save the environment and read magazines (newspapers) electronically.
peggynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggynek View Post
I know that books can be downloaded on computer and manually synced on PC, but what about magazines?
Yes, all Kindle content in your Media library can be d/led to your PC and then transferred to your Kindle via USB.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
peggynek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, all Kindle content in your Media library can be d/led to your PC and then transferred to your Kindle via USB.

BOb
Thank you BOb

So, let sumarize it. I can make subscription of New York Times for instance. Logon to Amazon web page on my Mac, download newspapers every single day and sync it with Kindle via USB cable? Do I understand it correctly?
As I said, I know, I can do this with books. I can even buy books from Amazon portal on my Mac and then sync with Kindle, but it is not clear if I can do the same for subscriptions of magazines and newspapers.

I am asking because I will be out of covered area for quite long time, but I want to have Time magazine with me there.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So, let sumarize it. I can make subscription of New York Times for instance. Logon to Amazon web page on my Mac, download newspapers every single day and sync it with Kindle via USB cable?
Yes, correct.

Just keep in mind that periodicals(newspapers) on not maintained in your Media Library forever... I think they stay for 10 days or 2 weeks or something. I don't know the retention period for Magazines. Perhaps someone here does. Or you could always ask Amazon support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
DesertGrandma is the Queen of All Media. She subscribes to everything! I'll try to find her for you. I'm positive she can give you more info, recipes, and laughs than you bargained for! BRB
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Thank you BOb

So, let sumarize it. I can make subscription of New York Times for instance. Logon to Amazon web page on my Mac, download newspapers every single day and sync it with Kindle via USB cable? Do I understand it correctly?
As I said, I know, I can do this with books. I can even buy books from Amazon portal on my Mac and then sync with Kindle, but it is not clear if I can do the same for subscriptions of magazines and newspapers.

I am asking because I will be out of covered area for quite long time, but I want to have Time magazine with me there.
I don't actually subscribe to any magazines or newspapers via the Kindle, BUT if I were you, I would email Kindle support and ask....get the answers 'direct from the horses mouth!'
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
DesertGrandma is the Queen of All Media. She subscribes to everything! I'll try to find her for you. I'm positive she can give you more info, recipes, and laughs than you bargained for! BRB
Sorry, DG........I don' t subscribe to anything.

I DID subscribe to Alfred Hitchcocks magazine, but after 4 issues piled up without me reading a one, I cancelled.......and by the way, Amazon was awesome about immediately taking the charges away from my card.

I WOULD have read the magazines, but I was too busy here
Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
peggynek
Enthusiast

Guys and girls,
you are unbelievably perfect in all these advices. I really mean it. Thank you.

I will ask Amazon support for this, or I can subscribe some magazine/newspaper for 14 days free of charge and see it myself. :-)

Anyway, thank you for all your effort. Nice to have kind people around me.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Guys and girls,
you are unbelievably perfect in all these advices. I really mean it. Thank you.

I will ask Amazon support for this, or I can subscribe some magazine/newspaper for 14 days free of charge and see it myself. :-)

Anyway, thank you for all your effort. Nice to have kind people around me.

Our motto should be

"ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE THE ANSWER" (OR WE'LL TELL YOU WHERE TO GO TO GET IT)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
peggynek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Our motto should be

"ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE THE ANSWER" (OR WE'LL TELL YOU WHERE TO GO TO GET IT)
Yes, it seems to be a nice motto...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
worsel60
worsel60 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
no problem with newspapers from PC

Sprint coverage was flakey at my house for a few weeks in December. On the no bar days, I downloaded the NY Times and the Irish Times to my PC and transferred the two papers to my Kindle with the USB cable. There's no subdirectory structure to worry about. It must resolve everything from the file names.
worsel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #12
peggynek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsel60 View Post
Sprint coverage was flakey at my house for a few weeks in December. On the no bar days, I downloaded the NY Times and the Irish Times to my PC and transferred the two papers to my Kindle with the USB cable. There's no subdirectory structure to worry about. It must resolve everything from the file names.
This is great news. Thank you very much for your reply nad info.
Once I get the Kindle 2.0, I'll try to subscribe Time and NY Times.