Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Analog Magazine in PDF from Fictionwise

The E.E. Smith books posted (many thanks) in the upload section put me on a web surfing session on classic sci-fi. I enventually ended up at Analog Magazine and see they are in bed with Fictionwise. It looks like they are available in PDF and LIT (I assume DRM) formats. Anyone tried one of these PDFs on the Reader? Is the type too small?

Michael McCollum at www.scifi-az.com puts his excellent books out in a large-type PDF version for the Reader and it reads as easily as an LRF. I find this to be a rare case with PDFs,
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
KDawg
Junior Senior

I only posted so I could reply to myself.

I went back and looked and there is a "Large Print" PDF format available. Now I am wondering if it is DRM'd. I may download it and check it out.
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The large print magazines there are fine on the Reader, I read Asimovs that way, and they're not DRM'd
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
Michael McCollum at www.scifi-az.com puts his excellent books out in a large-type PDF version for the Reader and it reads as easily as an LRF. I find this to be a rare case with PDFs,
KDawg have you read any books from the Gibraltar Series? Being from Gibraltar I'm curious about why they called that and if Gibraltar is mentioned in them.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
KDawg
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
KDawg have you read any books from the Gibraltar Series? Being from Gibraltar I'm curious about why they called that and if Gibraltar is mentioned in them.
I haven't reached Gibraltar yet. I'm just about to finish the Antares series. After that I'll probably read a few of the forum uploads, then some scary stuff for Halloween. I'm planning to hit Gibraltar after that. The guys on the Security Now podcast that put me onto McCollum loved Gibraltar and Antares blew me away so I'm expecting great things. I can't say I'm too impressed with McCollum's character development, but the physics and military strategy are top notch.

Eventually I might even convert and upload some books of my own. Many thanks to those who have been carrying the load.
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
I only posted so I could reply to myself.

I went back and looked and there is a "Large Print" PDF format available. Now I am wondering if it is DRM'd. I may download it and check it out.
No DRM on any of the Dell magazines (Analog, Ellery Queen, Hitchcock Mystery Mag, Science Fact & Fiction - maybe one or two others).
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
KDawg, I emailed Michael McCollum ref the Gibraltar books and I'm pasting what he replied.

GIBRALTAR plays a central role in the stories, and in fact, is critical to the entire plot. Unfortunately, I also destroy it at the end of the century. It suffers a near miss with a nuclear weapon during a dispute between Britain and Turkey. The story takes place a couple of centuries later.

Well at least my descendants go in a BIG BANG
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
KDawg
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
KDawg, I emailed Michael McCollum ref the Gibraltar books and I'm pasting what he replied.

GIBRALTAR plays a central role in the stories, and in fact, is critical to the entire plot. Unfortunately, I also destroy it at the end of the century. It suffers a near miss with a nuclear weapon during a dispute between Britain and Turkey. The story takes place a couple of centuries later.

Well at least my descendants go in a BIG BANG
Thanks for the posting. I'm only now noticing your location and understanding your interest in the Gibraltar aspect.