Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 9 8.82%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 21 20.59%
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 4 3.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 8 7.84%
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 9 8.82%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 16 15.69%
Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane 10 9.80%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 5 4.90%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 12 11.76%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 5 4.90%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #16
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
Caleb, Dennis Lehane is really good. I read "A Drink Before the War" a year or so ago.
Liked it very much.
That one is the first in his series with Kenzie and Gennaro.

Mange
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I voted for Shutter Island too.

I've never read anything by Dennis Lehane before, but I remember how popular Mystic River was and that I wanted to read it.

They made a movie out of Shutter Island, and they don't usually spend that kind of money to adapt a mediocre book, so that's why I voted for it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #18
bogboy1978
bogboy1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Am currently reading and well into the fantastic American Gods. Have Sh*t My Dad Says on my TBR pile so have voted for that. Need a good funny book since finishing An Idiot Abroad
bogboy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
I voted for The Eyre Affair by Fforde, a brilliant and hilarious book. And a good crime story as well.
I met Mr Fforde at a Book Fair in Sweden a few months back and even though he didn't seem to know that much about the workings of ebooks, or rather ereaders, he graciously signed my copy of "Lost in a Good Book" on my Sony Touch.
Picture here
Karma to you for a great idea on ebook signing. Now I am wanting to get a Sony just for that... although I have never yet gone to a book signing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
My sincerest and most humble thanks to you Bob.

A cool thing about the signed copy was that I could transfer not only the ebook but the autograph as well when I got my new Sony Touch (PRS650).

I just realised that Jasper Fforde has got a lot more knowledge about ebooks. Have a look at his website here

And about signing, there's nothing that beats his marathon here
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Has anyone read Jasper Fforde's Shades of Gray?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Has anyone read Jasper Fforde's Shades of Gray?
Loved it. Fascinating new world and a lot of open issues. I can't wait to see where he takes it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oooh - Shutter Island got a couple more votes.

Actually, the only thing I would really care about is:
- that I haven't read the book before
- that I have access to an electronic copy of the book

There's quite a few on the list that I've read so I'm secretly hoping they don't make it.
I'm so evil.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What's Jon voting for?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What's Jon voting for?
You always seem to get to the root of the issue, don't you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #27
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Darn, this is going to be another hard choice... I'm going to have to think on this for a bit.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #28
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What's Jon voting for?
Looks like he's being cagey about his vote this time.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #29
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I've already read Shutter Island, American Gods and Hitchhiker's and have been following SMDS on Twitter for months so I went with The Moonstone.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I voted for American Gods, but will be just as happy with Hitchiker. Am I the only humor-loving scifi aficionado out here who has never read it? I saw the movie.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote