Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Using a CF card with the iLiad

I've decided to use a CF card to store my books on the iLiad, but I have a few questions:

1. Can the CF card be safely inserted and removed from the iLiad with it turned on, or should it only be done with the machine turned off?

2. I have to write files to the CF card via the PC's card reader, yes? It doesn't show up over the USB connection.

3. Any noticeable effect on battery life, reading from CF rather than main memory?

4. Will any size CF card work, or is there a max size limit as there is for SD cards?

Thanks for any assistance with these,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To answer some of my own questions, I've discovered that, in order for the CF card to be recognised by the iLiad, it has to be formatted for the FAT (not FAT32) file system on a PC. After that's been done, the iLiad automatically creates the four "root" folders on it, and it recognises books copied from a PC.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
I dont' understand this completely: How do you use your CF card exactly?
When I use my CF card the 'normal' way (using the 'CF' link in ContentLister) the iLiad doesn't create four roout folders as you describe. Additionnaly, I have formatted my CF card as FAT32 and it works like a charm.

I can insert/remove the CF while the iLiad is on, even while I'm reading a document from the CF at the time - the document simply closes and I'm directed to the main menu. In the past I had some problems: sometime the CF card wasn't recognized until after a reboot, but that problem seems to be solved by now.

Regarding the card size: I don't know exactly, but my 1 GB CF card works perfectly!
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you go into "Settings" page 6 and tell the iLiad that any of the four standard doc types (News, Books, Docs, Notes) are on the CF card, it will automatically create the four corresponding folders on the CF card, and pressing the appropriate button on the iLiad will take you straight to that folder.

I don't know why I had problems with FAT32, but it just didn't seem to want to work for me. Reformatting the card as FAT has made it work fine - this is with a 2GB Sandisk CF card.

I've always been wary of "hot" plugging and unplugging memory cards - too much potential for corrupting files. The manual makes no mention of whether or not its a "safe" thing to do.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. I'm not too impressed with this. I find that about every other time I boot, the iLiad doesn't see the CF card and I have to eject it and reinsert it to get it recognised. Anyone had similar problems?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
1. Can the CF card be safely inserted and removed from the iLiad with it turned on, or should it only be done with the machine turned off?
Yes, but you should have your files closed, especially when taking notes. Otherwise, you will loose the current page information or even your scribbles.

Quote:
2. I have to write files to the CF card via the PC's card reader, yes? It doesn't show up over the USB connection.
Yes.

Quote:
3. Any noticeable effect on battery life, reading from CF rather than main memory?
Yes. And it depends strongly on the used card. I have a 2 GB card wihich really drains power (noname) and i know mainly use a 256MB card, which is alot friendlier to battery life. I heard people say, that SD cards are using less power than CF. Cannot confrim it though.

Quote:
4. Will any size CF card work, or is there a max size limit as there is for SD cards?
Officially there is a 4GB limit to CF cards. Although i read on the forum here, that someone gaot a transcend 8GB working on his iLiad.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Tribble. I think I might give up on the card and go back to using internal memory. I don't think I'm going to run short on storage space just using it for books.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Some CF cards can cause problems. I havent had a problem so far with any, but there have been reports. Some CF cards need to be reformatted with FAT32, since the factory format (FAT32 aswell) does not work. Maybe you should try to reformat your card to FAT32 and see, what happens.

I had problems with one CF card, but that one had defects on the flash memory itself. I couldnt get scandisk to resovle those.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've reformatted my card to FAT32 and now it seems to be working OK. I've successfully installed FBReader on it. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hmmm. I'm not too impressed with this. I find that about every other time I boot, the iLiad doesn't see the CF card and I have to eject it and reinsert it to get it recognised. Anyone had similar problems?
Yes me. The problems were gone for some time but after the last firmware update they appeared again. The card is a 2 GB Sandisk Extreme, works fine with any other device. Only the Iliad has problems with it
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
katania
katania doesn't litterkatania doesn't litter

Quote:
Hello! Yes, the same happens on my iLiad, if I havent used it, or read from the sd card, and go back to the CF card I have to eject it and reinsert it to be able to get it recognised
katania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Since I reformatteded mine for FAT32 and made sure that it was firmly seated in the iLiad, my problems have gone away. I suspect that I wasn't pushing it in firmly enough - on mine it's a definite "two stage" process - it goes in so far and then needs an additional firm push to go in all the way.