Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
bienfilatre
bienfilatre began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Unhappy NST Freezing Probs

Hello Kind PPL of MobileRead Forums,

I have had a NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH that I've used nearly daily since 2013, and it's been a steady friend. I use Calibre on OSX 10.7 to load mostly fanfiction [don't judge!] onto it. It goes everywhere (reading on trains, in coffeeshops, etc.). I have a neoprene sleeve for it, but around the house it goes about nude (possibly garnering damage to the touchscreen).

Over the last couple of months it's taken to freezing, and I've done all the things, like using copy paper to widge out the dust in the corners, cleaning it on the regular, etc. But in the last week or so, it freezes, soft boots, and then freezes again. The only way I can keep it up and running enough to not have a rageurysm is to keep it plugged in via the charger, either to an outlet or via the usb to the computer. Which keeps me pretty much tethered. Which is Not Optimal.

I'm wondering if the touchscreen is just finally borked, or it's something that can be fixed by replacing the battery, described in a forum post here (http://www.newpower99.com/B_N_NOOK_S...mple-touch.htm).

Pls, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to replace my nook (limited income), but my patience is not infinite.

bienfilatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bienfilatre View Post
Hello Kind PPL of MobileRead Forums,

I have had a NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH that I've used nearly daily since 2013, and it's been a steady friend. I use Calibre on OSX 10.7 to load mostly fanfiction [don't judge!] onto it. It goes everywhere (reading on trains, in coffeeshops, etc.). I have a neoprene sleeve for it, but around the house it goes about nude (possibly garnering damage to the touchscreen).

Over the last couple of months it's taken to freezing, and I've done all the things, like using copy paper to widge out the dust in the corners, cleaning it on the regular, etc. But in the last week or so, it freezes, soft boots, and then freezes again. The only way I can keep it up and running enough to not have a rageurysm is to keep it plugged in via the charger, either to an outlet or via the usb to the computer. Which keeps me pretty much tethered. Which is Not Optimal.

I'm wondering if the touchscreen is just finally borked, or it's something that can be fixed by replacing the battery, described in a forum post here (http://www.newpower99.com/B_N_NOOK_S...mple-touch.htm).

Pls, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to replace my nook (limited income), but my patience is not infinite.

Yes it sounds like your battery is dying.
Sense price is noticeable. Here are some nook batteries:Used:
*** Recommend, comes with all tools needed.

luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
bienfilatre

Smile

Thank you, Bernie! I will report back with findings after I replace the battery.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
If all else fails, Books-a-Million is still selling the NOOK Simple Touch for only $40:

http://www.booksamillion.com/nook?mo...=6373425703923
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
applewine
Enthusiast
applewine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm actually planning on buying an original NST, not the Nook Glow and not the NST with Glowlight.

I want to use it just to read library books and I'll join a few Overdrive libraries. I held the original in the store way back when and loved how it was so easy to hold. I had the kindle keyboard back then which I broke some time later.

The NST had nice large sides for holding and it was thick too and had a nice back with little mounds for your fingers to grip on.

I think the Nook Glowlight got rid of that and the NST with glowlight had design flaws making the screen more prone to failing. Thus, the solution is to get an original NST.

I don't mind checking out paper books too, but honestly this e-book thrust I'm going into now is fueled partly by the fear of some disgusting viruses I heard they found on the books. People are putting their hands where they don't belong while reading. Really nasty, though they said you couldn't catch it. I don't know. Also, just the germs in general, maybe I'd be more likely to get sick?

Last edited by applewine; 07-20-2015 at 06:20 PM.
applewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
bienfilatre

Hey All,

So thank you again for the advice! I got and installed the new battery today and so far (after about an hour of reading) no screen freezing problems! (I'll come back to the thread if they do happen.)

/throws confetti/

Tags
battery life, nst, screen freeze