Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Changing sort order and title

OK I'm going against the flow but I liked to have the title and author sort order the same as the book title and author, example
  1. Title "A Week at the Airport", I do not want it sorted "Week at the Airport, A" I want it sorted as "A Week at the Airport"
  2. Author "Alain de Botton" I don't want the author sort to be "de Botton, Alain", I want "Alain de Botton"
Is there some simple way I can change a bunch of entries with a simple click. Currently I'm editing the metadata for each book, one-at-at-time and this is a pain plus I accidentally skip some.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
OK I'm going against the flow but I liked to have the title and author sort order the same as the book title and author, example
  1. Title "A Week at the Airport", I do not want it sorted "Week at the Airport, A" I want it sorted as "A Week at the Airport"
  2. Author "Alain de Botton" I don't want the author sort to be "de Botton, Alain", I want "Alain de Botton"
Is there some simple way I can change a bunch of entries with a simple click. Currently I'm editing the metadata for each book, one-at-at-time and this is a pain plus I accidentally skip some.
Once you have set the Tweaks for these fields to 'Strictly Alphabetical'
and have restarted Calibre to make them take effect.

Select a Group of books, Tap E (Bulk Metadata edit), tick the automatic set author sort box, click OK
Also Tick 'Update Title Sort" (Near the bottom)
OR
at the bottom of the Tag Browser: Click: Manage Authors, Tags...: Select Authors:Click The Recalculate button
(Do this for Series if that Tweak setting changed)

That takes care of the Authors, series, and Titles
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
jgt1942
Connoisseur

OK I finally got it, this was confusing for me (not your fault, must be an age thing for me)

One more question in this area.
When I click on the "Author(s)" it now sorts correctly but I want to add a second field to the sort, the major sort is the Author's Name and as a secondary sort I'd like to sort of the series. Looking through the preferences I get the feeling that this is possible but I don't see how.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
OK I finally got it, this was confusing for me (not your fault, must be an age thing for me)

One more question in this area.
When I click on the "Author(s)" it now sorts correctly but I want to add a second field to the sort, the major sort is the Author's Name and as a secondary sort I'd like to sort of the series. Looking through the preferences I get the feeling that this is possible but I don't see how.
Again there is a tweak (Only applies to 'Startup')
Code:
Series, Authors See message 5
Clicking then column heading in sequence:
Note: Series[index] or Authors are typically isolated sorts.
No series by Author is logical

Last edited by theducks; 02-21-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Teach me to do on the fly
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
jgt1942
Connoisseur

OK in the tweaks for "Specify columns tosort the booklist by on startup" I added the following - sort_columns_at_startup = [('authors', 0), ('series', 0)]
This gives me the sort I prefer at least for the startup.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
jgt1942
Connoisseur

OK, OK now I think I understand - thanks theducks!
Quote:
Clicking then column heading in sequence:
Note: Series[index] or Authors are typically isolated sorts.
This gives me the sort I like. Again Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Note: Series[index] or Authors are typically isolated sorts. No series by Author is logical
Yes, it is. Both ways: author, then series (the author has multiple series') and series, then author (the series has been contributed to by multiple authors-sometimes this is a 'universe' and other times it's books added after the author's death).

The latter is a lot rarer than the former but it's hardly unheard of.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #8
wildchild1954
Connoisseur
wildchild1954 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T510
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Once you have set the Tweaks for these fields to 'Strictly Alphabetical'
and have restarted Calibre to make them take effect.
I have done this multiple times, the tweak is always set to 'Strictly Alphabetical' but Calibre still won't sort Title sort in an alphabetical sequence. It always has that box bordered in red if I insiste the title starts with A, The, or any other word that it thinks should be at the end of a title instead of the beginning.

How can I make Calibre actually sort my book titles in alphabetic sequence?
wildchild1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What language(s) are your books in? Articles are language dependent. If you copy title to title sort, does the mismatch indicator remain?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The tweak only affects New adds.
You need to select the older books: (Bulk) Metadata edit: tick the update Title sort box (near bottom right) OK