Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #61
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If device makers would ditch brain dead FAT file systems and go to something unixy, multiple collections could be handled with symbolic links. At least for devices already running linux that have SD card support, this could be done for close to zero cost and effort, and those usrs that want or (shudder) need FAT could still go their own way.
Except that that would make it harder to connect your device to a Windows PC. You'd have to distribute a driver for your "unixy" filesystem as opposed to being supported out of the box. You could do that but you'd need to make sure that the driver was robust and you'd have to install it (which probably involves a reboot). FAT is supported on all versions of Windows as well as any non-ancient MacOS and Linux.

Plus symbolic links, whilst useful for many tasks, are the wrong way to implement what is essentially a metadata tag. You'd have to implement something in the device's firmware to create the links and if you're going to do that you might as well implement proper collections as metadata.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #62
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Check back at Amazon.co.uk often

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer1 View Post
So is Amazon.co.uk the best place to order for US customers? I would prefer the blue one but see that Amazon.co.uk doesn't sell the blue one other than their retailers. Amazon.co.uk does have the black one so I just might end up going with that one.

Thanks!
Hi. The best deal I found was at Amazon.co.uk.

Check back at Amazon.co.uk at least once a day. When I ordered, the black model was out of stock (except for at third party sellers who charge much more) and I ended up ordering a blue one. When I checked back the next day, the black was back in stock and the blue was sold out.

Mine shipped Feb 1st from the UK to the USA and I'm still waiting.
DHL tracking number doesn't give any info at all when used
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #63
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Thanks, this morning they had the blue one shipped by Amazon.co.uk in blue, so I ordered it. I took the standard shipping as I couldn't see how how much 2 day shipping was and I doubt I get it free with Prime. So mine is scheduled to arrive 25 Feb. It costs 76.37
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #64
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Nice going, shorttimer 1. My blue one was 46.13GBP (around $75.)
Let's hope ours get here before their estimated delivery dates. Mine's due by 21 Feb.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #65
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Interestingly, I'm getting quite a few restarts with my mini, particularly when using the "back" key.
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #66
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Interestingly, I'm getting quite a few restarts with my mini, particularly when using the "back" key.
Not managed to get a restart or system crash at all yet, although I have noticed that taking the SD Card out means it goes from a cold boot to on in less than 15 seconds now.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #67
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Not that hard, but using the forward or back key sometimes gives no reaction. Hitting the button again gets one or two pages. Sometimes it is not possible to switch to standby mode from a book and its necessary to go back to home screen and than switching to standby. It seems to be a firmware problem. Any suggestions?
SteffenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, mine has been restarting even when there are no books at all in it. I shall return it and I have requested a replacement.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #69
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffenH View Post
Not that hard, but using the forward or back key sometimes gives no reaction. Hitting the button again gets one or two pages. Sometimes it is not possible to switch to standby mode from a book and its necessary to go back to home screen and than switching to standby. It seems to be a firmware problem. Any suggestions?
The one review on amazon.de was stating that as well, so it may be a common problem.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #70
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Such stuff happens even with Sony 2012 after years of development. When you open a new book for the first time, you can't get back by hitting the back button, you need to hit the button twice and you will leave the collection then.

I don't really understand why it's so complicated to write a firmware for such a device that does almost nothing.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #71
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I got my little reader today.

I already loved it while it was still in the box... I only have one real problem with it: the epub implementation.... It doesn't read included fonts.

So, I'll just have to create a new LaTeX template, to generate another PDF. The one I have for my 5" device is a tad too large (meaning the font gets a tad too small). (I started using custom made PDF's because I don't like the epub implementation on my BBMini either...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #72
SteffenH
Enthusiast
SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteffenH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The one review on amazon.de was stating that as well, so it may be a common problem.
I mailed the TrekStorr support, got the answer it is a hardware problem. No it isn't my second reader has similar problems and some more. Sudden restarts while using the filemanager, automatic shutdown doesn't work sometimes. I guess it's a software issue the support isn't aware off.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #73
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro traveler View Post
Nice going, shorttimer 1. My blue one was 46.13GBP (around $75.)
Let's hope ours get here before their estimated delivery dates. Mine's due by 21 Feb.
Thanks, yes I just got a new e-mail from Amazon saying my delivery date will be the 26th of Feb but will most likely be earlier from past experience. Glad I got it from Amazon as they are great and if you have to return an item there is never an issue. I recently returned some software that I bought from them 6 months prior. They took it back without an issue, and gave me free overnight shipping on the replacement. You can't beat that.
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #74
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20

Well, my replacement has arrived and it *seems* to be much more stable. I'll read some and see what happens!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #75
SteffenH
Enthusiast

Third replacement much better

After two replacements my TrekStor Pyrus Mini runs as expected. Up to now no crashes and good reactivity of buttons. My recommendation: Testing different fonts gives nice results, nearly as good as EInk Pearl. The high resolution is definitly an advantage of this cute reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130211_131400.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	101077  

Last edited by SteffenH; 02-11-2013 at 08:01 AM.