Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Enriana
Enriana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Not Sorting by Date Added?

Hi,

I glanced around and didn't see this mentioned; forgive me if it's a double-post.

I view my library by date, and the last few days it's been using date created/modified instead of date added (which it has done reliably since now). It doesn't seem to be every book, but enough so that it's problematic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Last edited by Enriana; 01-19-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Enriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriana View Post
Hi,

I glanced around and didn't see this mentioned; forgive me if it's a double-post.

I view my library by date, and the last few days it's been using date created/modified instead of date added (which it has done reliably since now). It doesn't seem to be every book, but enough so that it's problematic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance if you can help.
There are 3 standard date columns (1 is not shown by default):

Date: the date the record ({id}) was created
Published: Doh! When published
Modified: Last_Modified timestamp

If you click a column header, it should sort in the indicated direction. A previous column sort biases the sort of the same values

BTW this seems to still be working on XP Calibre 0.9.15
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Enriana

I just went through my columns to find the ones you mentioned, and then realized the "modified" column is what I wanted - why the default "date" one was appearing to show by date added (since recently), I'm not sure, but now I can sort properly!

Thanks for explaining.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
One thing to keep in mind when using Last_Modified:

Certain functions can update a book's Last_Modified date without warning or you noticing. For instance, if you found a typo in a Tag (ex: Fictoein) and corrected it in the entire library, then all of the books that make use of that Tag would have their Last_Modified date updated.

This isn't a bug or a problem. Heck, most users would not notice this situation. But you are making active use of this column, so it might happen to you. Just wanted to make you aware of the possibility.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
One thing to keep in mind when using Last_Modified:

Certain functions can update a book's Last_Modified date without warning or you noticing. For instance, if you found a typo in a Tag (ex: Fictoein) and corrected it in the entire library, then all of the books that make use of that Tag would have their Last_Modified date updated.

This isn't a bug or a problem. Heck, most users would not notice this situation. But you are making active use of this column, so it might happen to you. Just wanted to make you aware of the possibility.
Agreed
I am still trying to identify what else (Not a deliberate edit of any Tag browser items) of triggers this.

A few days back, I clicked 'Start backing up Metadata for all Books'.
and the last_modified got bumped IMHO, this should have been a READ ONLY (metadata.db) operation

Is there any operation in Edit Metadata upon a Single book (except Deleting a Tag in the Tag Editor) that should cause more than 1 book to get it's last_modified bumped? This is happening fairly consistently to fairly large blocks of books. (I still think it has something to do with tags as all the items I looked at, had a same tag, but that tag had whiskers, it has been in use so long )
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Enriana

Thanks for the heads up, Sabardeyn. I get the most use from it by seeing what new books I just added, so hopefully whatever tweaks I need to do to my library that mess with it will be a few pages down. :P
Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TheDucks,
I'm kind of guessing, but I think editing a Template will also cause the Last-Modified date to change.

I've been playing around with my Library columns trying to come up with a viable structure — what requires a field, what type of field, what just needs a tag, etc — and noted sometime afterword the date had changed. As I wasn't paying attention to the Last_modified column at the time, I could be mistaken.

Basically watch out for any function that is Library-wide, affecting any book that calls/relies on it.

Enriana,
Agreed! But sometimes just being able to recall that so-and-so might be a problem is enough to save you hours of gnashing teeth, the ripping out of hair, and making extensive use of offensive verbiage.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Agreed
I am still trying to identify what else (Not a deliberate edit of any Tag browser items) of triggers this.
I gave up trying to figure what does and doesn't change the Modified Date column and implemented a Last Change Date custom column that I can control.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-19-2013 at 03:07 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru

BetterRed,
Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering using, and relying on, Last_Modified within my Library but your recommendation makes more sense since the user cannot fully control the updating of the timestamp.

Sometimes the simple and obvious answers elude us.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I may have spotted the action that causes this:
Adding a book with a Tag of the opposite case:
Original Tag in use: Science Fiction
New Book tag: science fiction

Current Tag of books affected: science fiction

What happened today that got me thinking (they don't have the right Icon for this I usuall scratch the other end )

I had searched on a Author. I noticed the one entry was missing the word 'The' in the series (X Y Z) name. I also noticed that the other books had the series as 'THe X Y Z'
I added 'The ' to the first book. Presto the others now read correctly . (Note: The Modified timestamp did NOT get changed here)