Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #226
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I wonder if dedicated readers are more popular among us heavy readers?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #227
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Companies hate me--I buy on sale and keep my gadgets until they die an e-death. My old boob tube style Sharpe that I bought off Craigslist for $50 still works so there's no chance of a newfangled flat screen TV making an appearance in my apartment any time soon.
I've definitely become that way lately. I only have a smart phone because it was free. No need for an mp3 player because my cds still work fine. I was considering buying a Kindle Paperwhite but realized it's a waste of $120 when my K3 keyboard still works perfectly. I do have an HDTV and Bluray player for movie and videogame purposes but other than that I couldn't care less; I think upgrading simply because there's a new version of something out is wasteful. *shrug*
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #228
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I was considering buying a Kindle Paperwhite but realized it's a waste of $120 when my K3 keyboard still works perfectly. I do have an HDTV and Bluray player for movie and videogame purposes but other than that I couldn't care less; I think upgrading simply because there's a new version of something out is wasteful. *shrug*
This was part of my major wafflling on getting a Paperwhite - I don't *need* it, my k3 is still working just fine, so I couldn't justify it to myself. If I hadn't gotten a $50 gift card for Christmas, I probably wouldn't have made the jump.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #229
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Without a doubt. I believe a much bigger percentage of heavy readers own dedicated readers than the population at large but that is not surprising, we are after all a self-selected group.

I'm on my 3rd ereader (Nook, Nook Touch and now Kobo Glo) and if a new device comes out with a marked improvement (like the Glo was, at least for me) then I'll buy it.
I'm not rich but I read regularly (probably 12-13 hours a week minimum) and my reading is immersive so if I stare at a screen for a long time then I'd rather have the best I can get for my eyes.

As for the death of ereaders, I think reports of their death are greatly exaggerated.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #230
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

If you only read a book or two a year, investing even $50 for a dedicated reading device wouldn't be a high priority, would it?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #231
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I purchased an NST/g for my wife for Christmas.
I still have a perfectly good NE1/3g, so I will wait for a newer version.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #232
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmmm, interesting... The can opener analogy, lol ...

So why iphones sell like hotcakes? If, like can openers, most people have one already, same or different brand.

Simple - iphones sell like "hotcakes", not like "can openers". They're consumables. They are used for many more purposes, and so more easily broken, so in that sense much more "consumable". But also new phones keep coming out with new features, making the old phone insufficient for your "needs". A dedicated e-reader already does everything it's expected to do. I wonder how many users with Wifi e-readers even use the wifi?
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #233
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
iphones sell like hotcakes because when you drop one its screwed!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #234
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
absolutely
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #235
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Still on keyboard K3 for latest.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #236
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Simple - iphones sell like "hotcakes", not like "can openers". They're consumables. They are used for many more purposes, and so more easily broken, so in that sense much more "consumable". But also new phones keep coming out with new features, making the old phone insufficient for your "needs". A dedicated e-reader already does everything it's expected to do. I wonder how many users with Wifi e-readers even use the wifi?
I do use the wifi on my Sony PRS-T1 reader, mainly for downloading books from the public library.

So far, I have not heard of any new ereader features that make me want to rush out and buy a new one. Built-in lighting is a cool idea, but not something I need enough for me to replace a working reader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #237
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Simple - iphones sell like "hotcakes", not like "can openers". They're consumables. They are used for many more purposes, and so more easily broken, so in that sense much more "consumable".
We must be doing it all wrong. My old Original iPhone is still in heavy daily use.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #238
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I wonder how many users with Wifi e-readers even use the wifi?
I have the unfortunate habit of window shopping for books with my Kindle, when I'm bored I go to the Kindle shop and most of the time I walk away with a little sumthinsumthin.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #239
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Short stories work best because they don't have to throw out stuff the readers might scream about.
(Unless its a Tom Clancy novel, where throwing out 99% of the text leaves a perfectly fine movie.)
_Gone With the Wind_ and _Doctor Zhivago_ also made pretty darn good movies and they were doorstops of books. Of course, they had to cut out one of Scarlett O'Hara's *children* from the movie (but she fell out pretty darn seamlessly!)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #240
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Yeah I can sympathize with that, its rather difficult to keep your eyes on the page rather than the members of the opposite sex. I tell my wife "I may be married but I'm not blind." I also tell her "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." If she had no interest any more then I would insist on taking her to a psychiatrist.
Maybe this is something wrong with me but I would rather read my book than look at most of the men on the beach. The book is infinitely more interesting and probably sexier.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote