Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
pixelwarrior
pixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Can't load any of my books

Just bought a brand new Kobo glo. I have a heap of free books from Gutenberg etc. and tried to install them on my Macbook using Calibre, but not one of them showed up in my Kobo although they did show up under Mac Finder.

So I tried my PC. I factory reset my new Kobo glo and used PC with Adobe Digital Editions, and only installed one book: the Adobe Digital Editions “Getting Started with Adobe Digital Systems” ebook. Again, it shows up under my Windows Explorer Kobo folder, but does not appear in the Kobo device after I disconnect. I have been careful connecting/disconnecting to the computers and ejected correctly first. I have spent about 3 hours on this problem trying various things, hope someone can help or it's being returned to the shop & exchanged for a Kindle.

Thanks
Pixelwarrior
pixelwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelwarrior View Post
Just bought a brand new Kobo glo. I have a heap of free books from Gutenberg etc. and tried to install them on my Macbook using Calibre, but not one of them showed up in my Kobo although they did show up under Mac Finder.

So I tried my PC. I factory reset my new Kobo glo and used PC with Adobe Digital Editions, and only installed one book: the Adobe Digital Editions “Getting Started with Adobe Digital Systems” ebook. Again, it shows up under my Windows Explorer Kobo folder, but does not appear in the Kobo device after I disconnect. I have been careful connecting/disconnecting to the computers and ejected correctly first. I have spent about 3 hours on this problem trying various things, hope someone can help or it's being returned to the shop & exchanged for a Kindle.
Connect the Kobo to your PC again and take a look at the the drive mounted as KoboeReader (if you have a uSD card installed, you'll see a second drive but we'll disregard that for now). Do you see the ebooks you've sideloaded there? If not, create a directory called ebooks (or whatever other name you like) and then copy a couple of epub books into that folder. Eject the Kobo, disconnect the USB cable and wait for a while to see if you get a Processing Content message. You can also do this on a Mac but since I'm sitting in front of a PC, not going to depend on my memory for what the Mac shows.

If you see the Processing Content message, see if the books now show in your library. If the books don't show up, I'd suggest a factory reset and start again.

If you don't see the Processing Content message, jump to the factory reset and re-setup your Kobo.

Try copying a couple of epub books to the root of the Kobo's internal storage and see what happens. If it now works, fine. Otherwise, go to kobobooks.com and select a couple of free books. Sync your Kobo and see if those books show up. If not, then time for an exchange.

Another question: did ADE ask about authorizing your Kobo when you initially connected it?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-02-2013 at 01:27 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
pixelwarrior: I'm sorry if this is way too basic, but since you haven't specifically mentioned it: before you loaded your books, did you do your Glo's basic setup, registering with Kobo, running a sync, etc?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
pixelwarrior
pixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutpixelwarrior has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Hi David,
Well I followed your instructions and it worked. I am not sure why ... But I think the "Processing Content" message didn't appear before. Anyway now I have successfully copied over a dozen or so titles. Thank you very much!
pixelwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelwarrior View Post
Hi David,
Well I followed your instructions and it worked. I am not sure why ... But I think the "Processing Content" message didn't appear before. Anyway now I have successfully copied over a dozen or so titles. Thank you very much!
"We don't believe in miracles, we just depend on them"

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
"We don't believe in miracles, we just depend on them"

Regards,
David
so true for so many things in life....
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote