Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #136
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Cool - first in Martin Edwards' Lake District Mysteries has gone free on Amazon US! I've read several in DTB...highly recommend, except the unrequited love interest between two of the protagonists gets a little annoying. Still good stories, though.

The Coffin Trail

In this well-crafted whodunit from veteran British crime writer Edwards (All the Lonely People), Daniel Kind, a popular historian best known for a TV series that tries to solve historical mysteries using classic Holmesian deductive methods, decides to retreat from Oxford academia with his new love, Miranda. By chance, Miranda falls for a cottage in the Lake District that had once been the home of Kind's late friend Barrie Gilpin, a young sufferer of Asperger's syndrome. Gilpin was suspected of the gory ritualistic murder of an attractive woman on the Sacrifice Stone, a local landmark, but fell to his death before the police could question him. By yet another coincidence, Kind's late father was the senior investigating officer involved. Thanks to an anonymous informant, the father's protégé, DCI Hannah Scarlett, is about to reopen the old case. The renewed inquiry stirs up a hornet's nest and foments resentment toward Kind, whose amateur sleuthing is aimed at exonerating Gilpin.

Last edited by mitford13; 08-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #137
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
And another one just went free on Amazon US...(think I'm experiencing a little freebie giddiness today!)
Have had this on the WL for a while, am hoping it's a series worth getting into:

A Famine of Horses: a Sir Robert Carey Mystery by P. F. Chisholm

"In the year 1592, Sir Robert Carey, a handsome courtier, comes north to Carlisle to take up his new post as Deputy Warden of the West March. He has wangled his appointment to be nearer his true love, a married woman, and farther from the gimlet eyes of his creditors and the disapproving eye of his father (the Queen’s cousin—possibly her half-brother). And of course, he can use the money….

Sir Robert is quick to realize he won’t see a profit from the perks if he fails to keep the peace. Alas, he is quickly challenged by the murder of a local lad, the possible betrayal of a disappointed rival, the ire of the lady’s husband, and the question of the horses—the hundreds of horses being stolen from all over the neighborhood. It’s hard to say whether the greater danger lies without the city walls amidst the scheming Scots—or within, amidst the unruly English garrison.

Rich in atmosphere and packed with vivid real and fictional characters, few novels are as well imagined or as much fun as this romp through roguish courtiers, rival gangs, rustling, treason, and high ambition."

ETA: both posts updated to add that the most recent freebies are now on Amazon US.

Last edited by mitford13; 08-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #138
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
think I'm experiencing a little freebie giddiness today!
Heehee - I know what you mean.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #139
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Now free at Amazon.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #140
NightBird
Wizard

Corridors of Death: A Robert Amiss/Baronness Jack Troutback Mystery #1 by Ruth Dudley Edwards $.99 at Amazon and B&N.

Quote:
Description

Battered to death with a piece of abstract sculpture titled ‘Reconciliation,’ Whitehall departmental head Sir Nicholas Clark is claimed by his colleagues to have been a fine and respected public servant cut off in his prime. Bewildered by the labyrinthine bureaucracy of Whitehall, Scotland Yard’s Super-intendent Jim Milton recognizes a potential ally in Clark’s young Private Secretary, Robert Amiss.

Milton soon learns from Amiss how Whitehall works: that it can be Machiavellian and potentially homicidal, that Sir Nicholas was obnoxious and widely loathed, that he had spent the weeks before his murder upsetting and antagonizing family and associates, and that his last morning on earth had been spent gleefully observing the success of his plan to embarrass his minister and his department publicly. And they still need to discover who wielded the blunt instrument.

This is the first of Ruth Dudley Edwards’ witty, iconoclastic but warm-hearted satires about the British Establishment.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #141
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
And another one just went free on Amazon US...(think I'm experiencing a little freebie giddiness today!)
Have had this on the WL for a while, am hoping it's a series worth getting into:

A Famine of Horses: a Sir Robert Carey Mystery by P. F. Chisholm

"In the year 1592, Sir Robert Carey, a handsome courtier, comes north to Carlisle to take up his new post as Deputy Warden of the West March. He has wangled his appointment to be nearer his true love, a married woman, and farther from the gimlet eyes of his creditors and the disapproving eye of his father (the Queen’s cousin—possibly her half-brother). And of course, he can use the money….

Sir Robert is quick to realize he won’t see a profit from the perks if he fails to keep the peace. Alas, he is quickly challenged by the murder of a local lad, the possible betrayal of a disappointed rival, the ire of the lady’s husband, and the question of the horses—the hundreds of horses being stolen from all over the neighborhood. It’s hard to say whether the greater danger lies without the city walls amidst the scheming Scots—or within, amidst the unruly English garrison.

Rich in atmosphere and packed with vivid real and fictional characters, few novels are as well imagined or as much fun as this romp through roguish courtiers, rival gangs, rustling, treason, and high ambition."

ETA: both posts updated to add that the most recent freebies are now on Amazon US.
I like this series, having read (most of) it in DTB quite a while ago. If you like historical mysteries, it's quite a nice series. The books are not as cozy as Ellis Peters/Brother Cadfael or Elizabeth Peters/Amelia Peabody. OTOH, they aren't too bleak either. Some historicals can be pretty rough: as much as I know, for example, that sewer systems weren't the greatest in the past, I really don't enjoy having the detailed sight and smell of offal running down the street described to me while I'm trying to have a bit of fun escape . These avoid that level of detail.

The plots are good. Although I'm not the sort to try to really nit-pick mystery plots while reading, they seemed to hang together pretty well to me. And there are enough historical characters to pick up a bit of history along with the stories.

I was happy to find these available in e-book a while back and bought them from Kobo or BoB (can't remember which) with some discounts.

I think it's well worth the time (especially since no money is required) to try the first one and see if you like it, if you tend to like historical mysteries.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #142
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Corridors of Death: A Robert Amiss/Baronness Jack Troutback Mystery #1 by Ruth Dudley Edwards $.99 at Amazon and B&N.
This is also a great series, although completely different than the Chisholm historicals.

Edwards, who also has a distinguished career as a journalist, has a really wicked sly dry wit. Although I may not always agree with her (or her characters') politics, her skewer is always sharp and accurately placed...so I can't help laughing, even if sometimes disagreeing.

She tackles a bunch of cherished (or maybe not so cherished) institutions, ranging from the UK civil service, to a book prize award committee, to an American university, and comes out ahead every time.

Some of the books do take a bit of understanding of how things work in the UK, and I'm sure that as an American, I've missed a few darts, but even so, these are great books. The first one is well worth the try at low price, or maybe even free soon.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #143
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
has a really wicked sly dry wit
Oo - I like that kind.

Thanks for all your series' summaries.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #144
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Oo - I like that kind.

Thanks for all your series' summaries.
Now that I think about it a bit more, I might retract the "sly" while retaining the "dry" and the "wit". Edwards is like an in-your-face Sarah Caudwell, not so sly, with conservative politics (not my thing) and a great flair for poking holes in misguided PC-ness (which I do like, which can be incredibly amusing, and for which I forgive her the politics ).

Anyway, that's the best I can do for a description...
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #145
NightBird
Wizard

Thanks, sufue.

Mad Dog and Englishman: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery now free at Amazon.

Murder in Mykonos: An Inspector Kaldis Mystery #1 by Jeffrey Siger is now free at Apple, $.99 at Amazon, Kobo, and B&N.

Quote:
Description
A young woman on holiday to Mykonos, the most famous of Greece’s Aegean Cycladic islands, simply disappears off the face of the earth. And no one notices. That is, until a body turns up on a pile of bones under the floor of a remote mountain church. Then the island’s new police chief–the young, politically incorrect, former Athens homicide detective Andreas Kaldis–starts finding bodies, bones, and suspects almost everywhere he looks. Teamed with the canny, nearly-retired local homicide chief, Andreas tries to find the killer before the media can destroy the island’s fabled reputation with a barrage of world-wide attention on a mystery that’s haunted Mykonos undetected for decades. Just when it seems things can’t get any worse, another young woman disappears and political niceties no longer matter. With the investigation now a rescue operation, Andreas finds himself plunging into ancient myths and forgotten island places, racing against a killer intent on claiming a new victim who is herself determined to outstep him.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #146
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
This is also a great series...

<snip>

The first one is well worth the try at low price, or maybe even free soon.
Thanks for the recommendation. It might not go free since I don't see it available at iTunes. At $0.99 that's close enough to free for me to get it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #147
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This one's free now at Apple.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #148
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
This one's free now at Apple.
Grrrrr, I swear it didn't show up when I searched there earlier. When I search now there are a couple of others by her that didn't show up before either, maybe they were just added. Oh well, Amazon allows returns.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #149
NightBird
Wizard

Bullet Hole: An Alan Saxton Mystery #1 by Keith Miles is $.99 at Apple, Amazon, and B&N.

Quote:
Description
“In the world of championship golf, the stakes are high and passions run to match. And never more so than at the British Open Championship, particularly when it is played at Saint Andrews, venerable home of the game.

For Alan Saxon, too long ago a champion and once again in top form, this is a crucial tournament, and he must carefully prepare himself. But his ritual is rudely interrupted by the appearance of a young, pretty golf groupie who starts by demanding a lift and ends up naked and dead in his bed.

She is not the only casualty, and it fast becomes clear that someone wants Saxon out of the open. As the championship builds to its climax, at last Saxon thinks he knows who the killer is—but then he must decide: which hole is the bullet hole?”
The Ragtime Kid: A Ragtime Mystery #1 by Larry Karp is $.99 at Amazon and B&N.

Quote:
Description
Brun Campbell, a 15-year-old piano-playing fool, hears Scott Joplin’s “Maple Leaf Rag” played one 1898 afternoon in Oklahoma City. It’s destiny calling. Asking for ragtime lessons, he’s told, “No, Ragtime is colored music.” So Brun runs away from the family farm to Sedalia, Missouri, to persuade Joplin to take him on as a pupil. What Brun doesn’t expect is to trip over the body of a young woman. He thoughtlessly picks up a couple of items before he rushes away from the murder scene.

When Edward Fitzgerald, a man who befriended Brun his first night in town, is arrested for the woman’s murder, Brun is certain he’s innocent. But if the boy shows anyone the things he pocketed at the scene—things he now knows belonged to Scott Joplin—he’ll point the finger at the composer…and himself.
Brun decides to get Fitzgerald, Joplin, and himself off the hook by finding the real killer, but for that he eventually needs some help from Dr. Overstreet, the alcoholic town mayor; and John Stark, a man pushing sixty, who’s been employing Brun at his music store.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #150
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Bullet Hole: An Alan Saxton Mystery #1 by Keith Miles is $.99 ...
Golf plus mystery = SOLD!