Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
ePub file size

I've just made, what I think is my "master peace to date" my "Magnum Opus" if you will, of ePub design...

Its got everything in it, SVG images, Pic sections, hanging indent Lists hypelinked footnotes, the whole kit-n-kabuttle....

Problem is... it weighs in at 11mb

I guess my question is...is that too big?

will people bulk at the file size?

Does Amazon et al. have restrictions on size?
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Only the sellers who offer free 3G downloads for epubs might care - Nook? Amazon doesn't count

For the rest of us, if the illustrations fit, and the tables fit, and no individual file is more that the magic 28? KB limit, it should be fine - if it holds our interest

BTW, Liz Castro's book on epub is about 22MB, as I recall.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The illustrated versions of Don Quixote and The Divine Comedy I've uploaded are more than 30MB, so I wouldn't worry. Just have a look at what is taking most of the space and see if can reduce it. If it's pictures, maybe you can use a different format (JPG instead of PNG for photographs) or reduce the quality. In any case, make sure you are using the highest compression level in the zip.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@Jellby
I remember having read, that the zip algo used in 7zip produces generally smaller zip files than others do, while remaining unpackable i.e. compatible with other unzippers.

just to avoid confusion: YES I mean 7zip used for packing .zip and NOT .7z files.

may be worth a test at such final sizes.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
I've just made, what I think is my "master peace to date" my "Magnum Opus" if you will, of ePub design...

Its got everything in it, SVG images, Pic sections, hanging indent Lists hypelinked footnotes, the whole kit-n-kabuttle....

Problem is... it weighs in at 11mb

No. 11MB is entirely normal for an illustrated book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Hedda
Hedda began at the beginning.

Device: sony/ipad
I can`t get what you guys mean with "individual file" ... can somebody make it even more clear? How you can have an epub of 30MB 100% funtional? o.o
Since I`m making one but after 330K it stops recognizing paragraph styles, I`m working from Indesign 4.
Thanks for your help!
Hedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda View Post
I can`t get what you guys mean with "individual file" ... can somebody make it even more clear? How you can have an epub of 30MB 100% funtional? o.o
Since I`m making one but after 330K it stops recognizing paragraph styles, I`m working from Indesign 4.
Thanks for your help!
Simple:
EPUB is a container (a Zip file with certain, extra rules) of many pieces:
styles, pictures,text, metadata, view_order.

All that may be hidden from eye when using certain creation tools ( don't use Indesign, so I don't know if it can show the underpinnings).

So, as a content creator, you must make the decision whether to cater to the non-purist viewer implementations that the Apples, Adobes and others, have put into the the users devices.

Last edited by theducks; 10-23-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: remove text
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Be a Real Man or Woman: make ePubs with strait html+css.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
Yep - I only trust the code I see! But I do cheat and use Note Tab for all those little code libraries to save me from the usual typos.
Why do people who write programs for preparing HTML documents insist on using non-standard code with bug ridden support for CSS????? Why can I get a program that writes music notation correctly, but not HTML? Arghhh!

As for file size - I seem to have about 250 books on my Kobo and have barely used up any storage space, a few extra MB would hardly be noticed.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post

Thanks for asking the question you just saved me the trouble
I feel better now.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

All that may be hidden from eye when using certain creation tools ( don't use Indesign, so I don't know if it can show the underpinnings)
You can't see them when authoring. You have to unzip them and edit them after export. Mainly the CSS to tidy it up.

By the way.... What are "the non-purist viewer implementations that the Apples, Adobes and others, have put into the the users devices." you refer to?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Hedda
Hedda began at the beginning.

Device: sony/ipad
hey thanks for the answers

And about making an epub from the code its kinda hard when you have a book of 500 pages... that`s why I got support from indesign (its the source of the text).
I found out what did happen with my file, it was all ADE`s fault. It didn`t show correctly the chapters I had in, when I saw the epub in my sony Ereader it was perfectly fine, really odd, right?
Hedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedda View Post
I found out what did happen with my file, it was all ADE`s fault. It didn`t show correctly the chapters I had in, when I saw the epub in my sony Ereader it was perfectly fine, really odd, right?
The Sony uses ADE as well, and has the limitation on file size, so it's obviously not ADE's fault.

As long as each individual xhtml flow is under 300K (there's a limit for the packed size as well, but I forget it right now) you'll be fine.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Thumbs up epub for dummies wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
Unless one 's already familiar with it (I'm not since I'm no web designer) this would mean to learn from web design education sources AND thereafter drop all stuff which isn't part of the epub spec.

unless someone writes an "epub for dummies" (e)book allowing to learn from without the matter beyond epub.

are you volounteering?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It takes a couple of hours to learn CSS from scratch using free resources, and maybe another hour to learn the exceptions needed for the epub spec. All that's needed beyond that is a few hours of experience to cement the knowledge, special effects like drop caps or other adornments are quite simple as well.

quillaja is right, there's no substitute for learning the basic coding paradigm, it's so simple there's no need.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote