Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone here use Stanza? It works so much better for me than Calibre.

I just got a JBL for hubby and was trying to download books to an SD card. After the first book, my computer would no longer recognize the card. I tried to use Calibre and although it showed my reader and SD card one time, after that it "could not communicate with the device". Grrr. After several tries, I was about ready to send the jbl back. I thought "if it is this hard just to get a book on it, it is not worth the cheaper price". As a last resort, I decided to try to download the books the same way I do on my Kindle1. I opened up the book in Stanza, exported it in Open eBook format (which turned out to be epub), then go to the ebook file in my documents, and connect my jbl. Two drives jump up; one is the reader and the other the SD card. I right click the book I want and "send to" the SD card. It puts it on there in about 15 seconds. Right now I don't think I will go back to using Calibre. Stanza is sooo much easier.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Why would you need to use Calibre just to transfer a file to the SD?

Nothing against Stanza, but I think that Calibre is an excellent program for library management and format shifting. No need to use it to transfer the books though.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Why would you need to use Calibre just to transfer a file to the SD
Because I need to convert the file from PDF to epub in order to read it on my jbl. Once you do that in Calibre it seemed easier to transfer the book to the sd from there. I guess I could have saved the file from there and done the same thing that I did with Stanza. I put the first book onto the sd card directly from my computer, but after the sd was in the jbl my computer would no longer recognize it. Anyway, glad you like Calibre but Stanza works better for me. Perhaps because I have been using it with my Kindle1 for the last year and am more familiar with it.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Oh, no worries! Glad to hear that you figured it out.

Enjoying the JBL so far?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I'm another Stanza fan, yep. Open the book. File > Export Book as > ePub (or whatever) and save it. Once in a while I'll hit font encoding problems but 99% of the time its painless.

I find it much faster and easier than Calibre. I also find Calibre limited in its functionality vs. my needs (Mac, books on a RAIDed NAS, large and varied collection I want to organize/search/sort through) -- its easier just to use folders and deal with the books individually. I had such hope for Calibre from all the praise it gets .
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Stanza is really easy, quick and versatile. The only major drawback is that it doesn't support italics and bold in text formatting, both in importing and exporting an ebook.

Last edited by sein; 02-08-2010 at 06:57 PM.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't see the value of using the USB cable and trying to manage your ebook files
on the JBL at USB 1.1 speeds and reliability. That goes for doing it that way through
another program like Calibre.

It makes much more sense, IMHO, to use an SD reader/writer device attached to my
PC that can work with all the file management tools that I may have on my system, at
USB2 speeds, or better.

Calibre stores the books in its books in a logical, author based file structure within the
OS's normal file handling process. It is very easy to right click on the book in Calbre and
select "Open containing folder", then just drag and drop the book into an open window
of the SD card. You can even rename the file to match a label scheme you may be
using on your JBL. (I often like a shorter title to fit the JBL's listings.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have to agree with Ken. The only thing I do differently is instead of drag and drop. I highlight folders I want on the Jetbook, go up to "Edit" "Copy to folder" and send them to the SD card. That leaves me a copy of everything on my computer, plus a copy on my Jetbook.

When I finish a book on the Jetbook I delete it. Making it easier to keep track of what I'm read.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote