Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #346
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now that you have had it for a few more hours, is it still quiet? The fan only goes in at a certain temperature? I would assume there is a noticeable difference in battery Life, enough to affect your work?
No problems with the fan (as in "cooling", not myself or my wife).
I've resetted both, Surface RT and Surface Pro, last night in parallel.
I've stressed them both to the limit for about 8 hours: Downloading tons of apps, magazines and books, testing apps back and forth.
I'd say, the fan was on maybe 10% to 20% of the time. I didn't recognise any variations in fan noise. It seems rather digital: It's on or off.

It gets warm rather quickly on the back panel. Warm, but not hot.
I've read somewhere, the fan would recognise the holding position and adjust accordingly so it doesn't exhaust in your face. I haven't checked this out yet, I didn't actually feel any air flow so far. Only hear the slight whisper.
On this level I'm perfectly fine. My MacBook Air, especially when moving huge chunks of files, can be way noisier. But of course I haven't been even close to stressing my Surface Pro to a similar level as my (beloved) MacBook Air in day-to-day operations.

I couldn't really test the battery so far.
I expect about half the battery duration of Surface RT = ca. 5 hours for Surface Pro.
So far, this seems realistic, but I can't really tell.

I'm a bit torn:
On one hand, I love Surface Pro: Stylish, "industrial" and "valuable" design. Sheer endless possibilites due to legacy Windows apps/software.
On the other hand, quite frankly, I don't really see the niche yet.
If I want to have a mobile "working horse", I can use MacBook Air or similar notebooks/ultrabooks.
If I want to have a fun tablet, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" perfectly delivers for 1/3rd of the money.
To me, as a collector and gadgeteer, it's a great addition. But I'd never claim my hobby being "necessary" or "reasonable".
But for me it will be working great. Surface RT already more or less eliminated my lust for Android tablets. I did prefer them for some time over iOS because of the open (file) system. With Windows tablets, this need is fulfilled perfectly.
iOS on the other hand always was a "toy" for me, never a "working horse". Depending on the number, diversity and quality of apps on Windows tablets, I may not need iOS anymore either.
Still: I'll most certainly buy all Kindle tablets = Android. And I'd go for an iPad mini with imprved specs anytime...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #347
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Thinking I'll check out the 7/8" model for the Surface when it becomes available.

I spend way too much time on Tablet News checking out anticipated releases.
I've given that up a few years ago.
Even when perfectly fine with a new gadget: A few months later there will be something new that blows it out of the water.
I simply decide, whether I here and now get what I want and "need" for the moment.
And as I always say:
€ 500 or even € 800 may seem a lot at the moment of purchase. But if you break it down to an hourly rate, it's miniscule.
Let's say, I use a € 800 tablet for 2 years and on average 3 hours per day:
This adds up to about 2.200 hours of usage. That's about 36 €-cent per hour!
Even if I add costs for content and accessories, it's still way cheaper than 1 hour in cinema (> € 8 per hour with Popcorn and a softdrink). Not to mention dinner, vacations or just driving your car...
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #348
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
...but the Surface comes with a Touch Cover, so I perceived it as more expensive...
In the meantime, at least in Germany, you can have Surface RT without the touch cover (Pro doesn't come with cover anyway).
Not because people don't want the cover. But obviously many claimed, they would like to have a different color.
So Microsoft offers without cover for ca. € 100 less and you can order the touch cover separately - in the color you'd like.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #349
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
While being able to use Office is the main temptation for a Surface, I assume MS has a RT version in the pipeline, I also use Nuance's Dragon Dictate on my Windows laptop and I don't think they would make a RT version so I guess the Pro is the way to go. That or the Dell.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #350
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
While being able to use Office is the main temptation for a Surface, I assume MS has a RT version in the pipeline, I also use Nuance's Dragon Dictate on my Windows laptop and I don't think they would make a RT version so I guess the Pro is the way to go. That or the Dell.
Windows RT comes with a full version of Office (no Outlook, but Word, Excel, One Note, Powerpoint). And RT includes a "speech recognition" app out of the box, that one is based on Nuance's Dragon Dictate.

http://michaellinenberger.com/blog/d...on-surface-rt/

If the Surface RT is enough I would recommend the RT over the Pro (cheaper, thinner, lighter, comes with Office, longer battery life). No viruses. Of course, you have to do your research carefully. Once the Surface Pro becomes available in Asia I still might get the Pro and give my RT to my wife --- it would be absolutely perfect for her and I still enjoy having a device that can do everything. The only thing that bothers me on the RT now is the limited VPN functionality (L2TP, PPTP, and SSTP only). If I had full Outlook and OpenVPN on my Surface RT then it really would be the only PC I would ever need.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-05-2013 at 12:58 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #351
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is the VPN capability stymied? Is it processor related? Can it be fixed in future updates?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #352
mgmueller
Member Retired

Battery on Surface Pro

Windows Mobility Center (probably not very accurate, though) just tells me:
Battery 79%, 4h 6min remaining.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #353
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It has been on since this morning?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #354
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why is the VPN capability stymied? Is it processor related? Can it be fixed in future updates?
No OpenVPN capabilities now. Definitely not processor related, even on full Windows OpenVPN doesn't work out of the box, only with the help of additional installation programs and drivers. My guess is that this could be provided by a third-party app, but I am not sure. The main reason it matters to me is that in China nothing works but OpenVPN. They have found ways to block SSTP, L2TP and PPTP. These 3 protocolls are built-in and work great straight out of the box, so for most "normal" people Windows RT's VPN capabilities are just fine. (actually even Android's FeatVPN OpenVPN app doesn't work in China). At home I use a DNS service just for movie streaming and could also set VPN on my router or on a PC and share the connection.

But I have no choice but to lug a full laptop when I travel to China (several times a year). Perhaps there will also be options on the rooted RT with the hack for installing regular desktop apps? Such a VPN app shouldn't be very resource demanding.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #355
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
It has been on since this morning?
On and off yesterday.
Maybe for 1h after charging fully.
My best guess for now: Slightly above 5 hours when "power using".

Just testing BlueStacks. So far working flawlessly.

So far, I'm only missing a single feature: GPS.
I absolutely love Navigon and the likes on all of my mobile units.

Oh, I'd wish for Swype and other alternative keyboards as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #356
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
There are a number of pretty cheap GPS 'pucks' that will connect to a host unit by BlueTooth and add GPS capabilities. I have a love/hate relationship with them, as when they work they are fantastic, but sometimes BlueTooth communication just fails to work, on several different devices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #357
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
On and off yesterday.
Maybe for 1h after charging fully.
My best guess for now: Slightly above 5 hours when "power using".

Just testing BlueStacks. So far working flawlessly.

Oh, I'd wish for Swype and other alternative keyboards as well.
Swype on a 10.6" screen?? Your arm would be tired after just a few minutes, unless you could have a phone size keyboard somewhere at the bottom. I actually like the split keyboard, numbers in the middle and letters within reach of my thumbs close the left and right edges. Do you also have that option on the Pro?

Just curious, why use BlueStacks? What Android apps would you be using? Would be great for RT to fill some of the gaps in the app catalogue, but for the Pro?

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-05-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #358
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Swype on a 10.6" screen?? Your arm would be tired after just a few minutes, unless you could have a phone size keyboard somewhere at the bottom. I actually like the split keyboard, numbers in the middle and letters within reach of my thumbs close the left and right edges. Do you also have that option on the Pro?

Just curious, why use BlueStacks? What Android apps would you be using? Would be great for RT to fill some of the gaps in the app catalogue, but for the Pro?
Call me crazy. But I simply love all kinds of POI/navigation apps.
Dell Latitude has GPS and 3G, but no navigation app yet (with the exception of Bing maps).
(I've cked out Micorosoft's AutoRoute, but strangely enough it doesn't support the internal GPS, expects an external one).
Surface Pro doesn't have GPS, but I'll try to use Navigon within BlueStacks.

And: I don't need BlueStacks. But I HAVE to make it work at least once.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #359
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Call me crazy. But I simply love all kinds of POS/navigation apps.
Dell Latitude has GPS and 3G, bot no navigation app yet.
Surface Pro doesn't have GPS, but I'll try to use Navigon within BlueStacks.

And: I don't need BlueStacks. But I HAVE to make it work at least once.
A man obsessed
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #360
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There are a number of pretty cheap GPS 'pucks' that will connect to a host unit by BlueTooth and add GPS capabilities. I have a love/hate relationship with them, as when they work they are fantastic, but sometimes BlueTooth communication just fails to work, on several different devices.
I even have such a BlueTooth mouse, ca. 3 years old.
It's working and those are surprisingly cheap.
But I'm not a fan of BlueTooth either and I'm even less a fan of adding external hardware.
For each trip, I reflect, whether to take my Microsoft Wedge mouse for example.
And I don't quite get it. What would be the costs of adding a GPS chip? € 20? Why not have it per se in mobile units > € 400?
I love, sitting in cafe and checking out the POIs in the neighborhood. Or booking my next stay. Or the Saturn or Media Markt next to me.
Missing GPS is no disaster, I usually have a smartphone with me anyway (for the moment, my favorite would be Lumia 920 if it's not on repair)...