Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
DaK2
DaK2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, iPad
ePub transfer Question

Hi Everyone

I'm new to posting but I've been following mobileread for some time and appreciate all the advice and news posted here.

My first eReader was the Sony 505 and I loved it. But it's been a hassle lately due to the Sony reader store & it's software. Everything was fine until they changed to ePub and my reader is no longer syncing with the store it just locks up. Since the reader was getting old and banged up I changed to the Kindle2 a while back due to the easy use of the Amazon store and also due to the cheaper book prices.

Since the new Sony readers don't impress me I decided to get the ipad and combine all of my books on it. Of course the Kindle books are no issue due to the app .
My issue is Sony again. I downloaded all of my Sony books as epubs onto my PC and transferred them to iTunes and then onto the iPad. They show up on the iBook shelve but they will not open. I keep getting a "format not recognized" error. Is anyone else having this problem?

I thought that my Sony ePub books are drm free and could be easily transferred.

What I did was copy the books to a USB memory stick at my PC, used the memory stick to upload the books into iTunes on the Mac. Uploaded to iTunes Books and transferred to iBooks. All looks fine until I try to open a book.

Any help on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to have to re-buy the 150 books I purchased from Sony.
DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It would appear that your books are not DRM free...and it might be possible that they are not epub. I'd try downloading Calibre (it's free) and import the books and export to epub. If they aren't DRM'd, this would likely work for you.

If they are DRM'd -- you'll have to search for a way to relieve them of that burden

Or -- you could always just search for a copy of the book on the 'darknet'. I never feel bad using the darknet to get a book I've purchased in a form that's free of drm.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You probably have to get your iPad authorized in your Sony account as one of the devices allowed to store your books. I have no idea if it will work.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
You probably have to get your iPad authorized in your Sony account as one of the devices allowed to store your books. I have no idea if it will work.
It won't. The Sony Readers use ADE and ADE's DRM scheme, which Apple doesn't support on the iPad (and likely never will, since Adobe's ADE is competition).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
DaK2

Any suggestions on how I can get my Sony books onto the iPad or at least to my Kindle2?

These are books I paid for but can't read anymore except on the PC which is not practical at all.

Is there a program out there that will convert Sony ePub to regular ePub????
What is the difference anyway. I thought the whole purpose of Sony converting to ePub was that it is universally recognized. If Sony did drm their ePub why did they bother changing formats anyway? All it did for me was brick my reader.
Thank goodness for the Kindle.

Please if anyone can figure this out I'd love to hear about it.
Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
albanynyguy
albanynyguy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm new to posting but I've been following mobileread for some time and appreciate all the advice and news posted here.

My first eReader was the Sony 505 and I loved it. But it's been a hassle lately due to the Sony reader store & it's software. Everything was fine until they changed to ePub and my reader is no longer syncing with the store it just locks up. Since the reader was getting old and banged up I changed to the Kindle2 a while back due to the easy use of the Amazon store and also due to the cheaper book prices.

Since the new Sony readers don't impress me I decided to get the ipad and combine all of my books on it. Of course the Kindle books are no issue due to the app .
My issue is Sony again. I downloaded all of my Sony books as epubs onto my PC and transferred them to iTunes and then onto the iPad. They show up on the iBook shelve but they will not open. I keep getting a "format not recognized" error. Is anyone else having this problem?

I thought that my Sony ePub books are drm free and could be easily transferred.

What I did was copy the books to a USB memory stick at my PC, used the memory stick to upload the books into iTunes on the Mac. Uploaded to iTunes Books and transferred to iBooks. All looks fine until I try to open a book.

Any help on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to have to re-buy the 150 books I purchased from Sony.
I just got an iPad and have no idea what to do with it as using it as a reader, you have to fight it. However, I was interested when you said you transferred your Sony epub files to your iTunes!! I have been going crazy with iTunes and can't put any book on it. I used caliber to convert a few pdf books but coz I can't put it on the iTunes( consequently ipad), I can't tell if the caliber actually works. Can you tell me what you did so we may together find a work around for this mess? I see you put the files on Mac, can one do the same on the iTunes on PC?

thank you
Kamal
albanynyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanynyguy View Post
I just got an iPad and have no idea what to do with it as using it as a reader, you have to fight it. However, I was interested when you said you transferred your Sony epub files to your iTunes!! I have been going crazy with iTunes and can't put any book on it. I used caliber to convert a few pdf books but coz I can't put it on the iTunes( consequently ipad), I can't tell if the caliber actually works. Can you tell me what you did so we may together find a work around for this mess? I see you put the files on Mac, can one do the same on the iTunes on PC?

thank you
Kamal
Relax, it's easy. Select the books tab in iTunes. Now go to file/add folder to library and then point it to your calibre library. There, yo just added every pub in your calibre library to iTunes.

When in doubt, read a help file

It's not a mess at all, it's just new to you....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Relax, it's easy. Select the books tab in iTunes. Now go to file/add folder to library and then point it to your calibre library. There, yo just added every pub in your calibre library to iTunes.

How many Epubs did you do during this method. Does Itunes insist on backing up all those books every time you sync as the Iphone did with Stanza
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I thought the whole purpose of Sony converting to ePub was that it is universally recognized. If Sony did drm their ePub why did they bother changing formats anyway? All it did for me was brick my reader.
Thank goodness for the Kindle.
Sony converted to Adobe's DRM (ADEPT) which, while still proprietary, is shared by the vast majority of eReading devices on the market. Sadly it's not universal as some companies insist on using their own alternate DRM. The two key offenders now are:
  • Amazon with the Kindle
  • Apple with their Fairplay DRM
The iPad can also read Kindle DRM books with the appropriate app, but at present has no app to read Adobe ADEPT DRM.

The Kindle can only read DRM books in its own format.

If you look at the Supported DRM formats in the eReader matrix here at MobileRead you'll see that virtually every device there supports the Adobe ADEPT DRM.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Any suggestions on how I can get my Sony books onto the iPad or at least to my Kindle2?
There's no legal way, but if you search the net you will find advice on stripping the DRM. This will allow you to use your own books on your own device should you choose to do so.

Graham
Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

"How many Epubs did you do during this method. Does Itunes insist on backing up all those books every time you sync as the Iphone did with Stanza"

I did a few hundred. Of course iTunes syncs the books, that is the point. You can point it to any folder. Including the individual book folders in your Calibre library. You can also choose import file and just import individual books.

Same way with music. Click on music then add folders (or individual mp3files) to your iTunes library.

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 04-08-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
DaK2

Transfering ePub to iBooks on the iPad is easy but the iPad it won't open ePubs books bought from the Sony store. It doesn't recognize the format.

Does anyone know how to differentiate from DRMed Sony store books to Non-DRMed Sony books? From what I read the DRM issue is due to the publisher's choice not Sony. Or all Sony store books DRMed? Maybe I can at least find a few non-DRMed books in my library???

So we did manage to convert a few books from ePub to PDF back to ePub and imported them into the iPad but now the text is soooo small it's not possible to read the books without straining the eyes and it is not possible to change the text size on the iPad- the function is now locked out. Any suggestions on how to get a larger font size (without holding a magnifying glass up to the text)?

Step2: I tried importing the PDF books directly into Goodreader and this works fine except that all the text margins run right up to the side and top and bottom of the iPad which makes it (again) difficult to read. Any suggestions???

Seems my large library is doomed since I refuse to buy a new Sony reader. The new Sonys just don't come close to the 505, the Sony ebookstore is the worst. To top it off their tech support has never been of any help for any issue regarding the eBookstore or the reader itself - but they are extremly friendly and nice.
This is very frustrating as I got rid of all my "real" books and replaced them with eBooks and know I can't read them anymore.

My rant for the day: What the publishers and eBook stores are doing is plain crazy. How about if people bought a Sony movie on DVD but could only play it on a Sony player????? It's the same principle and it's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
My rant for the day: What the publishers and eBook stores are doing is plain crazy. How about if people bought a Sony movie on DVD but could only play it on a Sony player????? It's the same principle and it's INSANE!!!!!!!!!!
Dak2, did you read my two posts at #9 and #10 above, which answer the questions you've just repeated?

You can use the books you've bought from Sony in Adobe DRM ePub format on almost every other current eReader device, with the notable exceptions of the Kindle and the iPad which have chosen to implement their own DRM rather than accept that the Adobe version has become a de facto standard.

Others in a similar situation have found it useful to use Google and search for "strip Adobe epub DRM". Obviously I can't suggest you do that, as it may involve breaking the law where you reside.

Graham
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo app supports Adobe DRM. But nobody with an iPad has bothered to try it to find out i it can be used with other ePub not bought at Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo app supports Adobe DRM. But nobody with an iPad has bothered to try it to find out i it can be used with other ePub not bought at Kobo.
It would be good if an iPad owner could check that ASAP as I think we're going to see a lot more queries like that from Dak2, and being able to point people to the Kobo app would be a lot easier than trying to explain that they need to break the law to do what they want!

Graham