Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
file formats?

What file formats work best with the Sony Readers? I've found quite a few free sites with ebooks, but want to download the best file format.

Example: Manybooks.net has Sony lrf, RTF and ereader etc. and what format at Gutenberg do I choose?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
LRF is the Sony format. It can also display RTF and TXT files (without graphics.) It is said that DOC files can also be used as they are translated through the new Sony Connect software (does not work with my current software for the PRS-500.)

On the MobileRead Wiki Conversion page is a link to Stingo's Word Macro that will remove the hard line breaks at the end of each line in the Project Gutenberg text files. The file can then be saved as RTF and loaded to the Reader.

Most of us use either libprs500 or BookDesigner to create LRF files for the Reader. Both can take almost any file and create an LRF file. Many prefer to use an HTML as the source file.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
What file formats work best with the Sony Readers? I've found quite a few free sites with ebooks, but want to download the best file format.

Example: Manybooks.net has Sony lrf, RTF and ereader etc. and what format at Gutenberg do I choose?
If you download books from Manybooks, what I do is download in HTML and then run the text through Book Designer since their machine generated LRF is not very nice to read. Margins way too big, line spaces after every paragraph, and no ToC. So I make my own version which is a lot nicer.

From PG, I download in HTML if possible and format it using either html2lrf or Book Designer. if I cannot get HTML from PG, then I download the text and use Word to clean it up and then use BD to make the LRF.

if you find a decently formatted LIT file (without DRM), you can always use lit2lrf to convert fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
JSWolf and RWOOD have given great answers.

Regarding PG books, I simply run the text files through a program I downloaded from one of the librie groups at yahoogroups, which strips out the extraneous HRt characters so the text within each paragraph flows nicely on the Sony Reader and I don't bother with fancy tables of contents and links to each chapter, etc that are possible with BookDesigner and other tools you can download from this site.

But then I haven't shared any of the e-text files I have since they are not ready for prime-time and anybody can simply download the same files I start with and do the same thing with no trouble whatsoever. I enjoy reading them and simply haven't got the time necessary to do more to fancy them up.

There's even a Microsoft Word macro somewhere in this forum (or at least a link in one of the sticky FAQs on preparing files for the reader) that does the same thing but I don't have Microsoft Word on my computer, and it actually takes longer to use a macro on a text file in WordPerfect than to use the standalone converter program.

So it all depends on the reading experience you want -- there are wonderful books (many of them!) which the gracious members of this forum have posted for download, already fancied up with linked tables of contents and much more work than I do on files for my own reading, so you already have a wonderful library available for free.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
rgd
rgd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
I apologize for this basic question...but I am planning to buy a Sony Reader soon and I have a question on the books that are available to download here...

What do I exactly have to do? Click on the link and save it and then transfer it to the Reader? Is that how it works?

I am sorry for the stupid question but I'm a newbie here.
rgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgd View Post
I apologize for this basic question...but I am planning to buy a Sony Reader soon and I have a question on the books that are available to download here...

What do I exactly have to do? Click on the link and save it and then transfer it to the Reader? Is that how it works?

Don't remember the process right off-hand, but it's pretty simple. And there are *NO* stupid questions - just stupid answers

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Click on the attachment in the post of the book you want and when it asks if you wish to save it select yes and select a place for it on your hard disk. I use a folder called "MR Downloads"

Once the download is complete you can use the Sony Connect/ELib software or libprs500 to move it to your Reader. You can also load it to an SD card and put that into your Reader. (Remember to insert and remove the SD cards to the Reader while the Reader is powered on.)
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:

There are two ways. Imported into Sony eBook Library and then transfer to the reader. Or simply copy to the memory cards which show up as drives.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
rgd

Thanks RWood and mdhuang for the replies. It sounds easy.

I am going to try tomorrow...after I get a Reader
Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks RWood and mdhuang for the replies. It sounds easy.

I am going to try tomorrow...after I get a Reader
You will love your reader. Now when you go to download books in LRF, makesure they have he name JSWolf as the name as the one who uploaded the book.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
rgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
(Remember to insert and remove the SD cards to the Reader while the Reader is powered on.)
So the Reader won't recognize the SD card if the reader is not powered on from the start?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
rgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You will love your reader. Now when you go to download books in LRF, makesure they have he name JSWolf as the name as the one who uploaded the book.
Thanks JSWolf. I will keep my eyes open
Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Don't let him fool you, there are more good books there than most people read in a lifetime (and not all of them by Wolfie either.)
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Don't let him fool you, there are more good books there than most people read in a lifetime (and not all of them by Wolfie either.)
Yes, this is true. But the one thing I can say is I have posted the most number of recent books. That being books written in the 21st century
Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Yes, this is true. But the one thing I can say is I have posted the most number of recent books. That being books written in the 21st century
No question there Jon, you are the master of the 21st.

The problem is that there are just not a lot of good books written in the 21st century that I want to read. Well, not yet at least.