Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
tinyblob
tinyblob began at the beginning.

Device: none
PRS-505 with a damaged screen - write off?

Thanks to a nasty impact my PRS-505 now has a few dead lines on the screen.

I've checked around and the replacement screens seem pretty difficult to lay your hands on, and there's an issue with calibrating them specifically for the device, so repairing it myself doesn't seem like it's that do-able.

It's not the newest of devices so i'm not entirely sure i can even send it off for repairs, and if i can i imagine the cost will be fairly high.

Does anyone have any opinion on the matter?
tinyblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Personally, I think it would not be worth the expense or effort. The 505 was a great device, but the new line is so much better. The touchscreen and instant dictionary look up alone justifies the price. If you are looking to keep the cost down, consider getting a 350. I was surprised that the smaller screen is very easy to read, and it has most of the same features of the 650.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Despite being a hardcore 505 lover, I tend to agree with Avwriter on this one. I just bought a 650, and it surpasses the 505. Period. It would cost far more than it's worth to fix your 505 at this stage, in my opinion. Grab a (silver ) 650, and bury your 505 with full honours. You won't regret it.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote