Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
bisous
bisous began at the beginning.

Device: none
EReader for PDFs

I'm reading on my pocket PC and it seems like it is going to die on me soon. Have decided to get a proper ereader as a replacement. I'm looking for recommendation that suits my requests below:

1) Ideally, idiot-proof.
2) Majority of my ebooks are in PDF so the reader should support and reflow PDFs well.
3) At least 5 or 6" screen and lightweight because I carry it around for reading on the go.
4) Backlight feature since I read in dim lights at night.
5) Expandable memory, but not a must.
6) Compatible with Windows OS.
7) Touchscreen/ WIFI not necessary, I usually save/ transfer my ebooks from my external drive.
8) Some of my ebooks are in .lit .mob and .epub formats. Great if the ereader reads such file formats.

I hope I'm not missing any essential points for a basic ereader. My pocket PC works great other than it being old and not able to reflow some PDFs properly.

Thanks all in advance for your recommendation.
bisous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
fromi
fromi began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Device for A4 PDFs

I am also looking for a device for reading A4 formated pdfs. At a present time I found DR800SG could be suitable. Advantages of the WiFi technology are not combined with high res. displayed yet (at list at my knowledge). Anyway, if you know 8'' or bigger E-ink reader with wifi, please let us know. A a present time I am using PRS-505 - not really good for pdfs with vector graphics.
Thanks in advance for comments.
fromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous View Post
2) Majority of my ebooks are in PDF so the reader should support and reflow PDFs well.
None of the readers I've seen reflow PDF's well. But most import, the PDF needs to support the reflow. If it doesn't, no matter how well your device reflows, it simply won't.

Also, because you want a backlight, you should check out the LCD devices. There aren't many 5 or 6 inch devices, most are 7".

(e-ink doesn't support backlight, the Sony had a front-light, not sure if there are any recent devices with this feature...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
bisous

Thanks for the reply Sweetpea. I've always thought reflowing is the ereader's responsibility. Now I know it is not. I will start looking at LCD devices. Are there any in the market which reads PDFs and other more popular formats well which you will recommend me to look at?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
None of the readers I've seen reflow PDF's well. But most import, the PDF needs to support the reflow. If it doesn't, no matter how well your device reflows, it simply won't.
Onyx Boox 60 is quite good at reflowing PDF-s. Never had problems with it (aside from typical mistakes like break lines in wrong places).
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Onyx Boox 60 is quite good at reflowing PDF-s. Never had problems with it (aside from typical mistakes like break lines in wrong places).
I've seen it. Wasn't really impressed. Probably am spoiled by naturally reflowing formats like epub and mobi

Besides, that doesn't help the fact that the PDF needs to support it too...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
bisous

I am looking around and have a hunch that AluraTek Libre might suit me. Am not too familiar with DRMs so now my question is; I have PDF files saved in my computer, do I have to transfer my existing ebooks via Abode Digital Edition or can I transfer direct into the Ereader/ Sd card direct and access with without any trouble?