Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The one book that I seem to return to every few years is If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. I think I'm on either my fourth or fifth copy of it because I always loan it out and never get it back.
Oh and it's such a good book! I read it twice in a row, just to try to unveil it a little bit more!

The books I re-read the most are both from Boris Vian:

L'écume des Jours that was translated variously as Froth on the Daydream, Mood Indigo and Foam of the Daze (thank you wikipedia) and "Les morts ont tous la même peau"

Followed closely by Play the Monster Blind, a collection of short stories by the Canadian Lynn Coady.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Oh and it's such a good book! I read it twice in a row, just to try to unveil it a little bit more!

L'écume des Jours that was translated variously as Froth on the Daydream, Mood Indigo and Foam of the Daze (thank you wikipedia) and "Les morts ont tous la même peau"

Followed closely by Play the Monster Blind, a collection of short stories by the Canadian Lynn Coady.
Play the Monster Blind sounds good, I'll have to look it up.

My re-reads are Don Quixote (every summer), Dandelion Wine, The Halloween Tree, Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, Tortilla Flats by John Steinbeck.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
A Wrinkle in Time
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
The Good Earth

As I grow older, I get more teary when I read it.. weird

The Good Earth on Amazon
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM   #20
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've read Zen & The Art of Motorcyle Maintenance several times over the years, though I'm pretty sure I'm done with that now. My recent re-reader has been Under Milk Wood...I think it might be the first lifetime-stayer. It "sounds" beautiful, even just to read (yet alone listen to in "play for voices" form).

"To begin at the beginning:

It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.
..."

Aye, sends a right shiver, it does.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #21
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
The two books I return to every so often are. Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Two of my all time favourites.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #22
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Being a country boy, I guess my most read books are James Herriot's vet series. Life in the country that I still pine for.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Being a country boy, I guess my most read books are James Herriot's vet series. Life in the country that I still pine for.
These are my second-most read books - I have entire sections of dialogue in my head now - timeless!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #24
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I love reading Roger Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October" every October... really gets me in the mood for Halloween. Just wish it were available in ebook format!
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #25
numtini
numtini began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
"The Silver Metal Lover" by Tanith Lee. It's a story about a girl who falls in love with a robot that's usually described as a Romeo and Juliet story, but is more of a coming of age story. I read it when I was 15 and it had an enormous impact at the time.
numtini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #26
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
When I moved out of my parent's house, I left my books behind and accumulated new ones. I haven't retreived them -- it's been almost 15 years -- and I haven't acquired other copies -- since I already own copies. Is that strange?

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one that I used to read once a year or so, and I tried to purchase a copy of it after I moved out, but it just wasn't the same. I need to go back and get the one at my parents' house to read again.

I also feel the same way about the Little House books; my friend bought me a single volume version a few years ago -- with all the original illustrations and pretty much the same as my paperback books -- but I've never been able to bring myself to read it. I downloaded the MR versions but I haven't tried to read them yet. (Might be the same issue, that I don't have the desire to read a different copy of the books. )
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #27
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
You know in You've Got Mail when Tom Hanks makes fun of Meg Ryan for reading Pride and Prejudice every year....yep, that's me... I've read it at least 4 times now (not counting the times I've just gone back to my favorites parts and read from there)
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #28
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
The Swiss Family Robinson and The Chronicles of Narnia.

Which reminds me the SFR is about due for a re-read.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sandman

I have reread Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" graphic series over and over. There is so much layering of story within story and innovating ways of perceiving existing philosophies, mythologies, and othe world views. Every time I read them I discover something.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post

You really ought to get BOb's book back to him, you know...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote