Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #136
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
I just tried to 'downgrade' to version 538. Unfortunately, my cybook does not seem to get far enough into the firmware to allow it to flash. I was afraid of that, since it gets stuck at the first screen. I have no idea what to try now!
Can you mount the internal partition or can you see it as a disk? Maybe reformat it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #137
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Aaahhh...say again? If you mean, if I connect it to the computer does the computer see it as a drive, nope. It doesn't change to the 'connected' screen, either.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #138
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... Am I supposed to feel belittled? If so, you've certainly failed in your personal comments. Try again, please.

No, I do not believe PDF users have "forfeited" their rights by buying a Cybook; I'm just realistic enough and honest enough to admit - despite being a corporate officer of a company which sells them - that the Cybook Gen3 is not the best platform for reading PDFs nor does it appear that will improve for a while.

(And I have to ask, should a customer purchase from someone who cannot speak bad about the flaws in a product, or from someone who is honest about those flaws?)

Derek
Derek,
When you suggested to buy 600$ in software to solve the PDF problem, did it occure to you that I could probably buy a better eBook reader for that amount of money? Or for that matter I could take a plane to France and go tell Bookeen exactly what I think of their device in person ! An hour ago the latter would have definately carried away my preference. But I did manage to get my hands on the old firmware (Thanks ProfJuli !) and downgraded my device and can now read the PDF's I've always been able to read.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #139
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Aaahhh...say again? If you mean, if I connect it to the computer does the computer see it as a drive, nope. It doesn't change to the 'connected' screen, either.
The Cybook's internal flash disk really should be picked up with by your OS or you have no where to go.
That said, don't panic yet because it is impossible that the firmware upgrade damaged the hardware of the Cybook itself so the chances of there being a hardware problem are slim and the software problem should be solvable.
Check double and triple that your USB cable is snuggly plugged in Cybook and in your computer. If you still don't see the Cybook as a disk then try a reset of the Cybook (press the On/Off button and hold it pressed in and then use a sharp object and press the tiny reset button at the back) and if that still did not work try a different USB cable - if possible - and another computer - if possible ...
Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #140
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo View Post
My Cybook's ability to read my medical PDF files also got broken/lost with the new firmware. These were files that I can read/open with the older firmware. I wish I can still downgrade to the older firmware.
Docgo, Check your personal messages.
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #141
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Derek,
When you suggested to buy 600$ in software to solve the PDF problem, did it occure to you that I could probably buy a better eBook reader for that amount of money? Or for that matter I could take a plane to France and go tell Bookeen exactly what I think of their device in person ! An hour ago the latter would have definately carried away my preference. But I did manage to get my hands on the old firmware (Thanks ProfJuli !) and downgraded my device and can now read the PDF's I've always been able to read.
Must be something in the water over there in Europe. I'm seeign Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 listed on eBay for between $259 and $299 as Buy It Now. If it costs $600 in Europe, that's a function of the European tax system - and thus not attributable to Bookeen.

And I am glad you got a copy of the Build 538 firmware.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #142
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried the reset; no dice. The on/off switch doesn't even work; it just stays on until 'reset' is pressed. I will try a new cord and my husband's computer, but the red LED comes on so I think it's connected, the computer just doesn't see it. It also doesn't see the SD card when the SD card is in the cybook.
I'm getting very worried....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #143
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You should plug in the cable first and then turn the Cybook on.

But it is a bit strange. I assumed the update code was in ROM so it was impossible to corrupt it and then you only need a working SD card for it to work.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #144
momghoti
Zealot

I do plug it in, then turn it on; what I don't get is why the computer doesn't see the cybook as a drive. If it is charging, the cable and connection should be good......er, right?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #145
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do plug it in, then turn it on; what I don't get is why the computer doesn't see the cybook as a drive. If it is charging, the cable and connection should be good......er, right?
Now separate from the bootup problem... Do you know for sure you've connected it to the *right* USB port on your computer? I know on my machine I have to connect it directly to the USB port on the front of my PC - not the one that is built into the media card reader. And if I connect it in back, there are two USB ports it won't work with, but two that it will. And I've never gotten it to work when connected through a USB mini-hub. But that's just *my* machine. Yours may be different.

If you still cannot see the Cybook and the SD card when you connect it, you may have a hardware problem. It may need to be sent back. If none of this works, send an email to shop@bookeen.com and request an RMA.

Derek
Old 05-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #146
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Must be something in the water over there in Europe. I'm seeign Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 listed on eBay for between $259 and $299 as Buy It Now. If it costs $600 in Europe, that's a function of the European tax system - and thus not attributable to Bookeen.

And I am glad you got a copy of the Build 538 firmware.

Derek
Well to be fair, if you buy Acrobat Pro straight from Adobe it does cost 650 euro (same price as an Iliad btw). I for one would feel uncomfortable buying software from ebay, especially when it's twice as expensive on the makers own page.
But I bet you still could buy a plain ticket (even from ebay?) to go to france for less than 300 dollar. And if you look around on ebay long enough maybe even a better reader.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem as I see it is that some of the fixes in the current firmware that some people here do not like, might still be in whatever the next firmware is so you may as well stick with the new one and get used to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 AM   #148
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as I see it is that some of the fixes in the current firmware that some people here do not like, might still be in whatever the next firmware is so you may as well stick with the new one and get used to it.
You are presumeably right : the next firmware will most likely still hold the bugs that the new firmware introduced. Now if Bookeen was more responsive or had some kind of bug tracking website you'd love to help them out and tell them about them bugs. But even my email from beginning last week asking for the link to the old firmware has still not even been greeted with a consoling but automated "we got your email and will respond as soon as possible ... but it could take a while. Nous avons recu votre ... " response.
Conclusion : I am sure that this device could have been awesome but Bookeen hurried it to market and failed to catch up on pretty much any of their own promises afterwards and even those that find that they only use those features that DO work well - like reading Mobipocket books, I suspect - must feel uneasy about the lack of ethic this company displays when it comes to supporting their device.

Last edited by kleykenb; 05-19-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #149
momghoti
Zealot

Well, I've tried everything everyone has suggested, and I think it's toast I've tried three SD cards, one 1gig and two different 2gigs. Do you think it's worth trying some others? What cards should I try? I guess I could try a few more while I'm *waiting* for Bookeen to get back to me.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #150
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Well, I've tried everything everyone has suggested, and I think it's toast I've tried three SD cards, one 1gig and two different 2gigs. Do you think it's worth trying some others? What cards should I try? I guess I could try a few more while I'm *waiting* for Bookeen to get back to me.
The sheer *JOY* of dealing with Bookeen service department. I know it well.

Given what you've been experiencing, I'm not sure that buying another SD card is going to do you any good. But if it helps you pass the time and avoid brooding, please, feel free. I for one am saddened to hear you've not gotten an immediate response.

Derek