Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did Paperback Digital go out of business?

Their homepage has been replaced with an out of business sign.We have a report from one forum member that their purchasing system has been disabled for several weeks. The former customers of Paperback Digital would deeply appreciate it if someone would explain what happened. Please feel free to respond to this thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some points to ponder:

Did anyone lose ebooks they purchased from PbD? Did you get any warning about the impending shutdown and the need to backup your ebooks?

Could this retailer be the Kindle's first victim?
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So if I understand Mobi format books correctly folks who bought from Paperback Digital are now screwed if they want to use the book on a new device or anything right? Since they can't add PIDs without access to the retailer.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
What I find really insulting is their 'Thank you for supporting us over the years' statement, with the regard to consequences that their closure will have for their customers.

It really makes you think if it's worth buying all the DRM-ed ebooks, with having no normal consumer rights on them. I think that the Librie model of 6-months duration of books maybe wasn't so bad after all, at least you knew what you were buying - a book that you don't own.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So if I understand Mobi format books correctly folks who bought from Paperback Digital are now screwed if they want to use the book on a new device or anything right? Since they can't add PIDs without access to the retailer.
Yes. Really sucky, isn't it?
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am surprised they were unable to transfer their customers (and their existing e-books) to another e-book retailer, and make a bit of money in the process. However, perhaps the process of transferring mobi rights is either impossible or too hard to make it worthwhile. I'm sure any site that took on this task would get a lot of good will, and guaranteed site traffic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. Really sucky, isn't it?
Yep, I think even if I had a Mobi device I'd be buying MS Reader stuff & converting from there.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is a strong incentive for MobiPocket itself to pick up these orphan e-book sales. If they don't, it is likely that someone will produce software to add PIDs to existing MOBI e-book files and many people will argue that this is "fair use" (legal or not) when a retailer goes out of business. Once it is in the wild, such software would not only be used by Paperback Digital customers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I do not understand why the surprise; you buy a drm book that is not convertible to an open format you have to expect you will lose the ability to read it at any point. It may not happen immediately, but it will happen sooner or later.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I do not understand why the surprise; you buy a drm book that is not convertible to an open format you have to expect you will lose the ability to read it at any point. It may not happen immediately, but it will happen sooner or later.
You never "buy" a DRMed eBook. You always license it for a limited period of time.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Some points to ponder:

Did anyone lose ebooks they purchased from PbD? Did you get any warning about the impending shutdown and the need to backup your ebooks?

Could this retailer be the Kindle's first victim?
hi nate,

no didn't get a warning. have asked them several times for the past weeks to let me know whether the purchasing possibility would be available again. no response, tho' i send e-mails to different addresses. didn't hear from them until i logged in today again and got the message that they were closed.

i have purchased many books from them. but have downloaded them and copied them to my computer.

and who knows paperback digital is the first victim...
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Didn't say I was surprised. Just checking my understanding of the matter. I own no Mobi books so wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I wasn't sure if they'd somehow still work through some central Mobi server or something.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-01-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
hi nate,

no didn't get a warning. have asked them several times for the past weeks to let me know whether the purchasing possibility would be available again. no response, tho' i send e-mails to different addresses. didn't hear from them until i logged in today again and got the message that they were closed.

i have purchased many books from them. but have downloaded them and copied them to my computer.

and who knows paperback digital is the first victim...

It might be worth emailing Mobipocket to see if they will pick up the pieces. It would be in their interests to do so. Worth a shot I think.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope nobody needs to download any books from there. This is a good reason why DRM is a major issue. You bought books from PaperbackDigital and now you buy a new eink device to read your Mobi format books and you are stuck because the shop is gone and DRM has you but good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #15
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It might be worth emailing Mobipocket to see if they will pick up the pieces. It would be in their interests to do so. Worth a shot I think.

Dale
i couldn't find an email address on their site. so i put a thread on one of their forum. will see what the reaction will be and let you know.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote