Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
First several words in chapter underlined

I've noticed that a couple of my recent purchases have the first several words in each chapter underlined. Does anyone know what that is about? It is a bit distracting for me.

The books are "Letters to Solovine" by Einstein and "Tomatoland" by Estabrook.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if it is the popular highlights gone wrong. I turned off that feature on mine.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If you go into settings and click to turn off Popular Highlights that should solve the problem. That's what I did to keep passages from being underlined and it worked.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder if it is the popular quotations gone wrong. I turned off that feature on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
If you go into settings and click to turn off Popular Highlights that should solve the problem. That's what I did to keep passages from being underlined and it worked.
Thanks to both of you. But that is one of the first things I did after opening the box on Friday.

These underlines remain, and it is the first several words of the chapter. That is what is causing me momentary brain freezes. They are never significant and do not merit emphasis. It has a similar effect on me to gratuitous exclamation points.

At first I thought it was some new K4 feature, but it is happening on those two books on all my devices.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder then if those are hyperlinks back to the TOC. Some publishers turn out poorly formatted eBooks. I've had several books that did weird things to create hyperlinks.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is also Public Notes which shows highlights and notes that others have made. It's also accessible via the settings pages. Did you turn that function off as well j.p.s.?

edit:I just downloaded the free samples of the books and some of the underlined parts are apparently hyperlinks to other places in the books themselves. They're crisp, dark lines rather than mere highlights. I'm afraid you're probably stuck with them as they are.

Last edited by crich70; 10-04-2011 at 07:56 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder then if those are hyperlinks back to the TOC. Some publishers turn out poorly formatted eBooks. I've had several books that did weird things to create hyperlinks.
Bingo (mostly). Thanks! The reputation nanny won't let me give you any more karma at the moment.

For "Letters to Solovine", they are links to TOC. For "Tomatoland", they are links to end notes. I think the key for both types is the same underlined words are at both ends of the link. This is probably the result of some automated process, but also seems useful, and may even be a standard convention. It also seems that sometimes only the first letter is a link target, and that confused me the first time I checked to see if it was a link.

I suppose that I will gradually get used to it, I think I have on the web because links are usually also a different color. Right now, it is still a bit distracting.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There is also Public Notes which shows highlights and notes that others have made. It's also accessible via the settings pages. Did you turn that function off as well j.p.s.?
Yes, those also got canned on Friday. As Jack guessed, they are links, to the TOC in one book, and to end notes in the other.

Thanks for trying to help solve the mystery.