Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ping, ssh, nmap. Nothing seems to access my kindle (solved)

I've been trying to gain (reliable) ssh access to my Kindle for a few days now, and don't seem to be making progress. It is jailbroken, and usbnetwork is also installed. The latest versions listed on this site. I can very briefly connect over the usb cable, but the shell hangs after a few seconds and takes several attempts to resurrect it. I haven't found the iptables script yet, but I can't imagine it's blocking ping.

I'm trying to connect over wifi. I'm pretty certain I've got the right IP address, as my access point lists IP's next to mac addresses. authorized_keys exists on the kindle, and contains the correct data. I have tried every reasonable combination of settings in the config file.

ssh connections time out. ping declares the kindle unreachable. nmap thinks the kindle is down. My best guess is that I have a problem with the network, but it seems to be unique to the kindle. Two laptops and two desktops can quite happily ping each other, share files via samba or nfs, and ssh at will. I've tried on three wireless networks so far, but can probably find a forth if people think it'll help.

Any guesses where I go from here?
Cheers

edit: Thought I'd try turning off everything & resetting the router to factory defaults. I still can't ping the device, but I can ssh. Strange.

Last edited by jonj678; 06-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
IPTABLES drops all connections besides Amazon's feeling hand.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
tomashg
tomashg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3W
same here, device is unpingable, also for me nmap only works with -PN parameter. But i can ssh to it perfectly over wifi or usb. You can always check Kindle's IP by running the 711 command in settings.
tomashg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Add external ping capability to the firewall:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p icmp -j ACCEPT
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, the whole point of the SSH over WiFi stuff in the USBNet hack was to avoid having your Kindle open to the four winds with a passwordless root loging, hence it's only doing

iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT

when you enable the K3_WIFI option (while also making the SSH daemon require a valid password).

Feel free to edit this to suit your needs (L170-173 & L105-108 of usbnet/bin/usbnetwork).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert