Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #18811
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
That list would be posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Which I just updated to include Bombshells & Skin Game.
Quote:
I knew that you would.

Thanks to your help, Alan, the list is now fully uptodate! Dresden Files - Chronological Order for Novels & Short Stories
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #18812
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thanks to your help, Alan, the list is now fully uptodate! Dresden Files - Chronological Order for Novels & Short Stories
Yeah! It's looking good! I like the new color coding!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #18813
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Yeah! It's looking good! I like the new color coding!

Thank you!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #18814
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Summer Knight (Book 4 Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher the other day. Started Death Mask (Book 5 Dresden Files) this morning. Both are audiobook. I have had these for ages, and just never got to them.

Also started Twelve Drummers Drumming on my Nook ST while waiting at the car shop. It was this month's selection for the English Mystery group at Goodreads. So far, interesting.

Abandoned my first book of the year, Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. It's popular, so I guess it's just not my style. It was funny, but I liked the characters less and less the more I read, so I finally skipped to the end and was glad I didn't make myself read the rest. Read about 40% total. It was a book club reading selection, but this was one of the book clubs I abandoned because the books were just hit or miss for me.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #18815
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just found out that the C&R special offer will end on 31st January. So I have bought the first one, and I'm going to read it and decide whether to get the rest.

So, now also reading: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.

I should finish it before the end of the 31st, so I can decide whether to splurge or not.
I love these myself, but I haven't read them all. I've repeatedly gotten stuck eight or nine books in (I can't remember which book, but there's something about it that I end up about 20% in and can't get any farther.) The first several are among my favorite re-reads though.

I set aside Travels with Charley for now to head back to medieval Wales with Gareth & Gwen for Sarah Woodbury's The Fourth Horseman. For those who've read Ellis Peters' Cadfael books, this series is interesting because you get the King Stephen/Empress Maud/Owain Gwynedd territory disputes and alliances from a totally different perspective.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #18816
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just finished The Affair of the Thirty-Nine Cufflinks by the late James Anderson. It's a typical 1930s British murder mystery. The writing was competent and the characters interesting. The murderer was easy to determine but the side mysteries were harder to explain until the end. The beginning was somewhat drawn out; murder occurred around page 150. Overall, unremarkable. Rated C- [3 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #18817
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
So, now also reading: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.

I should finish it before the end of the 31st, so I can decide whether to splurge or not.
I'm already over a third of the way through it, and I think I can say I'm really enjoying it. Alas for my book budget!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #18818
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm already over a third of the way through it, and I think I can say I'm really enjoying it. Alas for my book budget!
Great!

The main characters are inspired by real people. Amelia Peabody is loosely based on Amelia Edwards, author of an immensely popular travelogue called "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" (which I created a copy of for the MR library), and Radcliffe Emerson on the famously irascible Egyptologist Sir Flinders Petrie.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #18819
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main characters are inspired by real people. Amelia Peabody is loosely based on Amelia Edwards, author of an immensely popular travelogue called "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" (which I created a copy of for the MR library), and Radcliffe Emerson on the famously irascible Egyptologist Sir Flinders Petrie.
I did notice a mention of Petrie in the book. I thought this was about the right time period for him. I suspect he's being kept safely off-stage.

I am now £21 lighter, and 25 books heavier. (I got the Vicky Bliss books too.)
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #18820
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am now £21 lighter, and 25 books heavier. (I got the Vicky Bliss books too.)
That's a wonderful deal. I paid about £5 each for them!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #18821
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It really is a wonderful deal. I have all the Amelia Peabody books as paperbacks (and I've read them all - I got into the series before I had access to an ereader and ebooks) and I don't begrudge them the shelf space at all; it's a series I've enjoyed tremendously.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #18822
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next: An anthology of all the unread James Patrick Kelly short stories that I bought from Fictionwise back in 2004 - some 22 of them, now counted as one book.
Quote:
I've now also reading: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.
Quote:
I'm now also ready Nothing edited by Jeremy Webb, a collection of articles from New Scientist, all to do with nothing.
It's not often I have three books on the go at once! But I've just finished Nothing. An interesting collection of essays on subjects like the zero in mathematics, vacuum, and absolute zero. Enjoyable, but nothing particularly surprising.

Perhaps the best for me was the historical consideration of zero in mathematics.

Now back to Crocodile on the Sandbank (which I'm enjoying a lot), and then back to the Kelly short stories.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #18823
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm not sure who it was that convinced me to buy a copy of Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot (apa Rivers of London), but I have to think him or her. I'm just finishing it up and I've quite enjoyed it. Oh, it's got some annoying bits, and the writing is maybe a shade on the too cute side, but it's fun, and it shows real promise.

(This is modern London and the Metropolitan Police, but with a senior Inspector who's a Wizard and our young and intrepid Constable who becomes his apprentice.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #18824
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Mars, Inc by Ben Bova. It was nothing spectacular, but it kept me entertained throughout.

Next up, Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #18825
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure who it was that convinced me to buy a copy of Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot (apa Rivers of London), but I have to think him or her.
Wasn't me, but it's in my TBR along with the next one in the series. I'm sure I bought it on a special. Glad to hear that it's something to look forward to. It's been in my library for over a year.

Completed the novella The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch by Bill Pronzini, which is a detective story, not a western. The story was ok, but nothing special, however the narrator was fabulous. Perfect detective voice, IMHO. His name is Nick Sullivan. No longer for sale at Audible.

Today, I've been listening to Death Masks (Dresden Files). Loving it. I will have to hold off on Side Jobs until after book 12. I only have the audiobook and it doesn't tell you what stories are in what order, etc. etc. and I don't want to spoil the surprises.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote