Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
mypointofview
mypointofview began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 2
How to make pages with full bleed / full page images

Hello,

I created a photo book with borderless images (some single pages, some double page spreads) in Lightroom and exported it as PDF. I then imported the PDF into Calibre and converted it to ePub.

However, the images have a thick white border now. The original jpg files in the epub container are 1134x1440px. My book is vertical. I was hoping to get a borderless photo book.

I checked the CSS file and set the margins to zero to no avail. Has anybody a tip for me how to proceed or is this a limitation?

Thanks,
Martin
mypointofview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypointofview View Post
Hello,

I created a photo book with borderless images (some single pages, some double page spreads) in Lightroom and exported it as PDF. I then imported the PDF into Calibre and converted it to ePub.

However, the images have a thick white border now. The original jpg files in the epub container are 1134x1440px. My book is vertical. I was hoping to get a borderless photo book.

I checked the CSS file and set the margins to zero to no avail. Has anybody a tip for me how to proceed or is this a limitation?

Thanks,
Martin
Leave PDF OUT of the conversion. It is the worst format to convert FROM.

Most Devices (like Kindle) FORCE borders (AKA Margins). You get no say (other than to refuse them rights to your product)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
why PDF

But also, if book is composed entirely of images then why convert to EPUB and not a comic book format such as CBZ ? In fact why not just make a CBZ in the first instance.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
have you set the @page and body margins? i.e. set @page {margin:0;} and body {margin:0;} in the ePub stylesheet.

There is an oddity in the Calibre viewer where if you set @page {margin:0;} it is ignored and the default page margins used instead, but if you set @page {margin:1px} it will give a 1px margin which might be close enough.

Also, in the Calibre viewer, you might need to change your preferences so that the margins in the book are actually used. Untick the box: Preferences > Text layout in paged mode > Override the page margin settings specified in the book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
mypointofview
mypointofview began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
why PDF

But also, if book is composed entirely of images then why convert to EPUB and not a comic book format such as CBZ ? In fact why not just make a CBZ in the first instance.

BR
Hey BetterRed, thanks sooo much!!

In fact, it was even easier than that: I started not looking for PDF viewers on the App Store but rather CBZ viewers as per your tip. And voilà, I found a cool viewer that even displays PDFs out of the box – with flip animation (which was what I was after). It's called SideBooks and made by a Japanese developer Tatsumi-system. Free app, too.

If I may make a comment regarding all this – I feel we are at the beginning of a new DTP Desktop Publishing revolution all over again. In the beginning it was about printing to paper – that's solved since the 1980's. Now, it's about how to "print" to screen – what a mess out there with all those different formats, screen sizes, distribution platforms plus the "Text guys" living in a different world than the "Image guys."

ePub is still on my radar of course. But for image only projects, Adobe Lightroom + PDF is all you really need.

Thanks again!

P.S. I need to also clarify something: I don't want to publish my "book" – I'm a photographer who was seeking for a way to present photography in a cool way where vertical images and horizontal images appear like in a magazine.

Last edited by mypointofview; 06-21-2016 at 05:21 PM.
mypointofview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mypointofview - coincidently favourite comic viewers for Windows and Android come from South Korea and Japan - its the Manhwa/Manga influence.

FYI - a CBZ is merely a zipped folder of images renamed to whatever.cbz Very handy of you want to create a simple 'photoalbum' - there's probably a LR plugin to do it in one albeit small fell swoop

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote