Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
In Edit/Preferences turn off all automatic checking by Pretty Print or HTML Tidy.
I suggest you ignore HTML Tidy completely. If you want to tidy up a file with Pretty Print, r-click in Code View and select Reformat HTML:Clean Source.

Unless you take special steps to install in different directories, 0.7.1 will over-write 0.6.2. I suggest you let it. The only notable bug in 0.7.1 is a problem on some systems with docking floating windows like Preview. It's a tiny inconvenience.
But why would I just use the print tidy when I wanted to? I mean, if I wanted its benefit, why not use it all the time? (ie. leave it on automatic)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
But why would I just use the print tidy when I wanted to? I mean, if I wanted its benefit, why not use it all the time? (ie. leave it on automatic)
You would not wash your clothes while still working in the garden (at least, on purpose ) You don't install carpet in a new house before the Roof is tight .

Tidy assume everything is ready to be made perfect
Disabling automatic Tidy makes sense to me.

Right clicking on a Tab-page allows it to be used: 1)only on that page. 2) When YOU want it to kick in

Last edited by theducks; 03-26-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You don't install carpet in a new house before the Rook is tight .
Look is right ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Look is right ?
Typo Roof
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

all right

Quote:
You would not wash your clothes while still working in the garden (at least, on purpose ) You don't install carpet in a new house before the Roof is tight .

Tidy assume everything is ready to be made perfect
Disabling automatic Tidy makes sense to me.

Right clicking on a Tab-page allows it to be used: 1)only on that page. 2) When YOU want it to kick in
Thanks Ducks. So (this is a scenario) I work on the book for a couple of days with print tidy off. Then I think, Hey, I need to clean up (the whole book) and so I turn on print tidy automatic and it cleans the whole book for me. Fine. But what's the difference if it cleans it bit by bit (on automatic) or all at once (have it off and then turn it on when you want)?

And why would you just want to use it just on a single page?

I guess I can see it if you've got a book with a collosal amount of bad code in it and you don't want print tidy categoricallly messing with it until you're
ready. That makes sense. But if the book is pretty clean, again, what's the difference if it cleans it up bit by bit or all at once?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You have it.
Clean code, no problem.

You screw up some code while trying for an effect, tidy can do serious
BTW 'Pretty' mostly neatens the code view (removes extra Non-code, blank lines, cleaner looking tags).

Tidy will *fix* things like missing closing tags. The *fix* is not always what you desire
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Another difference is our task.
You are creating the books Text (and Images).

I tend to be doing page layout type style edits. The paragraph is already there. I am just trying to wrap it in a Box and maybe add a bow
What is in the box is what counts! The box just help deliver the goods
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks Ducks.

Quote:
You have it.
Clean code, no problem.

You screw up some code while trying for an effect, tidy can do serious
BTW 'Pretty' mostly neatens the code view (removes extra Non-code, blank lines, cleaner looking tags).

Tidy will *fix* things like missing closing tags. The *fix* is not always what you desire
I got it. But since they're both called some version of "Tidy" could you do this post of yours again specifying Pretty Print Tidy or HTML Tidy when you just used "tidy." Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yes - its important to remember that it is called "Pretty Print Tidy" and "HTML Tidy" - they are both using Tidy.

In the current version, the options are slightly different than they used to be, and there is more flexibility with what you do. But there are also some additional checks to make you aware of when there might be issues.

HTML Tidy should probably be ignored by most people. There are some rare use cases for it, but in general, just forget about it.

So Pretty Print Tidy should usually be checked in Preferences->Clean Source.

So what does Pretty Print Tidy do? 1) It converts your HTML to valid HTML if it isn't already ok - this means it closes end tags, but it can also remove some tags and content if its really messed up. 2) It indents and modifies the layout of the code so it looks nice. Note that it is the 'making the code valid' that can cause problems. The prettifying part just changes the layout (and of course can only run on valid code). So if your code is valid, pretty printing it won't cause it any harm.

Now Pretty Print Tidy won't run automatically unless you tell it to - by checking the Open and Save checkboxes.

Open

When checked this means that Pretty Print Tidy is run when you open the EPUB, or when you open the page after using Book View. If an EPUB is damaged before you open it and this option is set - a dialog will actually pop up telling you its invalid and asking if you want to open it as is, or make it valid code. If you tell it not to clean, then the code is left as is for the particular file that is damaged. Other files will be pretty printed and have their links updated if necessary, etc.

If you uncheck the option, then the code is loaded as is, and you have the option to correct errors manually.

Save

When checked this means Pretty Print Tidy is run when you save the EPUB. If there are invalid HTML files you are given a warning and asked if you want to clean them. If you decline, the files are saved as is.

If unchecked then the files are saved as is with only a status bar message telling you if your files are valid or not.

So what option should you be using? Well, in most cases the default (Open/Save and Pretty Print Tidy checked) is fine. If you actually have invalid HTML, then a dialog will pop up to tell you and you can skip the automatic fixing of the code, still save the file, and then go look for the invalid code to fix it.

You can of course use right-click in Code View to manually run the Reformat HTML code on one or all files instead of using Save to automatically force it to Pretty Print (especially for Replace Alls).

But how you use it is up to you and what you are working on. If you want complete control - uncheck Open/Save cleaning. But remember your files won't be pretty printed (which some people want) and you will not be warned about invalid HTML when you save (except the status bar message), although a Validation will point out issues. And if you open an invalid EPUB without cleaning, some files might not have their internal links updated (which only applies to files not created in Sigil) - and in fact many file floating around won't open without cleaning due to missing header information, etc. This usually isn't an issue if you created the file.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #40
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
But how you use it is up to you and what you are working on. If you want complete control - uncheck Open/Save cleaning. But remember your files won't be pretty printed (which some people want) and you will not be warned about invalid HTML when you save (except the status bar message), although a Validation will point out issues.
The new version makes it more or less obligatory to keep the Preview pane open, giving a constant check for bad code. Only finding out you'd got a problem when saving or moving to another file is ancient history. People who leave out closing tags, relying on Pretty Print to add them, as always take a considerable risk :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
So what option should you be using? Well, in most cases the default (Open/Save and Pretty Print Tidy checked) is fine. If you actually have invalid HTML, then a dialog will pop up to tell you and you can skip the automatic fixing of the code, still save the file, and then go look for the invalid code to fix it.
Great explanation. Thanks a lot meme. One question on the above. Say I have Pretty Print Tidy on automatic save and open and I go to save something and it tells me: "The EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed..." and do I want to automatically fix the file before saving. But then I can't choose yes or no because the hour glass icon appears when I hover the cursor over yes or no. And if I do want to save the file without automatically fixing it, then do I go into the preferences and uncheck the Pretty Print Tidy, so I can save it. Then like you say,go back and hunt for the error.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Great explanation. Thanks a lot meme. One question on the above. Say I have Pretty Print Tidy on automatic save and open and I go to save something and it tells me: "The EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed..." and do I want to automatically fix the file before saving. But then I can't choose yes or no because the hour glass icon appears when I hover the cursor over yes or no. And if I do want to save the file without automatically fixing it, then do I go into the preferences and uncheck the Pretty Print Tidy, so I can save it. Then like you say,go back and hunt for the error.
I believe the hourglass cursor in this context, is a bug and the click is still registered.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

you "believe"?

Quote:
I believe the hourglass cursor in this context, is a bug and the click is still registered.
Ah, that's good enough for me. lol Thanks Ducks.