Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #46
indiekiduk
indiekiduk began at the beginning.

Device: $69 Kindle
I just received the $69 kindle today. It achieves the 15% faster page turns by not refreshing the whole page every page. It draws white text over the black text instead to clear it. It does this roughly 5 times before it redraws the whole page. Unfortunately the last 2 pages look rather grainy to me so I turned this feature off in Settings. Well in Settings you actually turn ON full page refreshes, it's off by default. As far as I know the K4 doesn't have this feature, even though it has the same software version.
indiekiduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #47
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ordinary K4 have that feature also, it is nothing new.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #48
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ordinary K4 does have that feature also, it is nothing new.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post
I just received the $69 kindle today. It achieves the 15% faster page turns by not refreshing the whole page every page. It draws white text over the black text instead to clear it. It does this roughly 5 times before it redraws the whole page. Unfortunately the last 2 pages look rather grainy to me so I turned this feature off in Settings. Well in Settings you actually turn ON full page refreshes, it's off by default. As far as I know the K4 doesn't have this feature, even though it has the same software version.
I turned the feature off too on both my K4S but on the K4B I didn't see any ghosting like I had when I use it on my K4S but I need a full page refresh because my eyes doesn't like how the 6 page refresh works. It messes with my Dyslexia.

There is no speed difference in between the K4 versions.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post
As far as I know the K4 doesn't have this feature, even though it has the same software version.
Nope it does. Just update the firmware. At launch the K4 didn't, amazon was stealing from the BN playbook. But guess what? People complained, amazon listened and released the 4.0.1 firmware update that added the option to refresh every page. The 4.1.0 firmware didn't remove this feature either.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #51
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Kindle 4 Black vs Kindle 3/Keyboard Screen Contrast Comparison

Can someone make a side by side comparison of the new Kindle 4 Black (Mini) like the one below with the Kindle 3/Keyboard? I seem to remember that when the previous Kindle 4 Silver screen was compared to the Kindle 3/Keyboard, the screen was greyer and darker rather than lighter. Hope someone can put a photo like the one below. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
Well, yeah, I knew that was coming. Just don't make fun of my pics, blame lighting differences, etc. Quickly taken with my Nikon D300:

Sorry about the profanity laced page - not intentional.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

@jeromedevine, your quoted images have totally screwed up the browser width on this page. Please delete them from the quote. I'm sure no one wants to have to scroll left and right at your post.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

See this post for comparison of both K4S and K4B with the K3:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=50
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
@jeromedevine, your quoted images have totally screwed up the browser width on this page. Please delete them from the quote. I'm sure no one wants to have to scroll left and right at your post.
Or wrap them in a spoiler tag.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #55
rockmonkey
rockmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 6
Hi

ok this is a double post because i am hoping someone with the new black kindle can tell me the answer. i asked in the other thread about the new cheapo kindle but to my surprise the owner didnt have a photo they could put on the reader so i am hoping a wider audience will find someone who does.

I have been a long time reader of these forums but have never needed to join until now... sorry mate it is a question (aint it always). anyway i am wondering if the new kindle has native jpg support and an image viewer like the k4 which bookmarks the last image viewed in the folder and also allow you to zoom in? i am asking because i have a touch at the moment and was thinking about jailbreaking it and installing komic (which looks to be a superb bit of software) because these features are missing on the touch.

however i really like the black look of the new kindle and therefore am also considering buying this new cheaper smaller kindle and selling my touch. now kindles simply handle ebooks really well but the pdf and image support has always been a bit hit and miss. i do know though that the k4 had in the image viewer bookmarking abilities (unlike the touch) and zoom so if these are still there i will make the move.

reason being i have loads of climbing guidebooks that i have scanned into my laptop and converted to both jpeg and pdf. on my touch they look slightly better in jpeg format but there is no ability to zoom. so even though the jpegs are cropped and resized and are just about readable with my glasses on the option to zoom in would be very nice.

so if you can test the image viewers ability to zoom and bookmark and also if you have time can you tell me your opinion of the pdf viewer i would be most grateful.

also if the new black kindle is more or less the same does the same jailbreak work on this?

if anyone can help me out you will be on my imaginary xmas card list for a few years.
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like the firmware is not the same. The new cheaper Kindle doesn't have the wasted line at the top of the screen where the previous model has it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looks like the firmware is not the same. The new cheaper Kindle doesn't have the wasted line at the top of the screen where the previous model has it.
What wasted line?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
If you are talking about the Title/Status bar at the top of the screen on the K4S, that displays when you first open the book but goes away when you page forward or backward. Subsequent pages will not show it. If it bothers the reader on the first displayed page they can page back then page forward to get rid of it. As far the K4B, it probably doesn't appear in that photo because the reader has already paged back or forward.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #59
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:

If you actually had a Kindle, you would at least know what you are talking about.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you are talking about the Title/Status bar at the top of the screen on the K4S, that displays when you first open the book but goes away when you page forward or backward. Subsequent pages will not show it. If it bothers the reader on the first displayed page they can page back then page forward to get rid of it. As far the K4B, it probably doesn't appear in that photo because the reader has already paged back or forward.
Yep, the K4B has the title bar just liked the K4S. It goes away after you turn the page.