Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Amazon, Fictionwise, Books on Board, eHarlequin, ManyBooks, Feedbooks, e-Diesel and the Maryland Public Library
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
jacquelineo
jacquelineo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for all the posts. I will have to check out some of these sites.
jacquelineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Only Amazon for me in just under a year of having a Kindle.

And Feedbooks for some free public domain books.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Fictionwise, amazon, O'reilly (especially since they've taken over mspress -- all new mspress books will be avail in 3 fmts: epub, mobi, pdf), Baen...generally if there's a book I'm looking for I'll google the title and specify ebook -- usually find something -- recently got Evelyn Waugh's "Decline and Fall" (very funny book) this way.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Pretty much only Diesel ebook store.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
xwordphile
xwordphile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle1
I've looked everywhere (even here) for a quick and easy answer to this question, and haven't found it:

Are the mobi books sold on Diesel (not the free ones, but the ones I'd pay for) compatible with the Kindle (I have a 1st gen, if that matters)? And when I say "compatible," I mean can I purchase them, download them, and load them onto my Kindle via USB without any other manipulation? (I'm a technomoron and can't handle anything more complicated...)
xwordphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #22
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwordphile View Post
I've looked everywhere (even here) for a quick and easy answer to this question, and haven't found it:

Are the mobi books sold on Diesel (not the free ones, but the ones I'd pay for) compatible with the Kindle (I have a 1st gen, if that matters)? And when I say "compatible," I mean can I purchase them, download them, and load them onto my Kindle via USB without any other manipulation? (I'm a technomoron and can't handle anything more complicated...)
You won't be able to use any Diesel books on the Kindle 1 without using DRM-removal tools.

Most of the paid books at Diesel are in one of five formats - ePub with Adobe DRM, PDF with Adobe DRM, eReader with eReader DRM, Mobipocket with Mobipocket.com's DRM and MS Reader with it's own DRM. There are a few DRM-free PDFs but they won't work with the Kindle 1. All Kindle versions can read DRM-free mobipocket format books but they support only Amazon's DRM scheme which isn't quite the same as Mobipocket.com's own DRM (though Mobipocket.com is now owned by Amazon).

Hope this helps. Btw, you can try looking up an ebook at Inkmesh to see the compatible devices - we take care of all these format-device mappings for you. If the Kindle is not in the list of compatible devices for an ebook, you're going to need some kind of conversion and/or DRM removal to get it to work on the Kindle. Here's an example: http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/decline-an...l+evelyn+waugh
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
the project gutenberg (free out-of-copyright) books are also available from manybooks.net and I like their formatting better.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
There's also a huge amount of book available right here on MR...

I love trying out new authors, and when they offer a book in any genre I like to read, I direct them to Smashwords, if they're not already there... Lots of good books on Smashwords...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #25
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I buy mine from a mix of places, mainly Amazon, smashwords, BoB, Fictionwise (although rarely now), Ebook.com (mainly text books) and BeWrite books as well as the public domain books here on Mobile Read
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
rambo47
Kindleer
rambo47 doesn't litterrambo47 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Mostly Amazon, but I've found some great stuff at Baen. I just registered at Fictionwise and will peruse their catalogue too.
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #27
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Amazon, Diesel ebooks, booksonboard and waterstones (for the ones that aren't yet US available)
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote