Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sue Grafton ... Anyone read?

Has anyone read any of the Sue Grafton alphabet books? The series starts with "A" is for Alibi. I'm curious if they are any good or not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone read any of the Sue Grafton alphabet books? The series starts with "A" is for Alibi. I'm curious if they are any good or not.
Yes, read them all. The first books in the series are great (up to F or so), then things turn a bit samey. Psychological characterisation is outstanding throughout, though.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I like them a lot. I have read nearly all of them. I started reading them when I ran out of Warshawski-books (Sara Paretsky). Grafton's books are kind of similar but a bit more light weight.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I liked them a lot...you need to start at the beginning, of course, because the character development is important.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thanks all for your opinions. I just took a look and it seems only the last 5 are available as eBooks. Very odd and very wrong. Time to hit up the library for the pBook edition of "A" is for Alibi
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks all for your opinions. I just took a look and it seems only the last 5 are available as eBooks. Very odd and very wrong. Time to hit up the library for the pBook edition of "A" is for Alibi

They aren't there either. I've checked....or, maybe they are at the library you have a card to, but I think just the ones you've seen for sale are available.

Edit. I 'read' wrong, JS, sorry. I was thinking you were going to hit the library for "e" books in the series. Hope you enjoy them.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I've read up through "R." They're fun books, the author really drew me into the story, and the way the characters develop as the series progresses is satisfying. Some people are really put off by Kinsey's personality, however.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
agree with @mtravellerh, the beginning of the alphabet is better than the latter part. I do keep wondering what will happen at Z. Will it go to numbers?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
agree with @mtravellerh, the beginning of the alphabet is better than the latter part. I do keep wondering what will happen at Z. Will it go to numbers?
And what will happen as the 80's progress and Kinsey is no longer able to blithely ignore the existence of computers? And will she ever find another miraculous black dress? Or get a decent haircut done by someone who doesn't immediately get murdered?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
And what will happen as the 80's progress and Kinsey is no longer able to blithely ignore the existence of computers? And will she ever find another miraculous black dress? Or get a decent haircut done by someone who doesn't immediately get murdered?
IIRC she does use a computer to get information from a nursing home office in one of the books.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
YES. I do like them, though I stopped at I think "G". I have to be in the mood for them, as she's a bit more dark than what I usually read. Don't let that sway you, though..they're really good books.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Its like I tell my husband when Law and Order comes on and he goes ballistic over some of the storylines.......Its fiction, dear heart, just suspend belief and enjoy the story!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I think she have said that she will stop writing them then. I agree that the beginning is better then the middle ones but I have read up to and including R and I think they got better near R.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I haven't cared as much for the last couple of books, where she started using multiple viewpoints. It's as if she were beginning to get a bit bored with Kinsey.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I just bought 'T', but haven't started reading it yet. I've enjoyed the series and if I had more time and fewer books in the to-be-read queue, I'd love to go back and read from the beginning.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote