Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Google Talk (IM)

After much speculation, Google has launched a new IM service... Apparently it's not 'supposed' to be public quite yet, but it works perfectly for me. And it's Jabber-based. Could this help the adoption of Jabber a great deal? Maybe. Unfortunately I have, as of yet, been unable to figure out how to talk with, for example, a jabber.org server account (when Jabber, generally, works for talking to any client on any server).

Smashworld has some details on how to use it.

As a note, using SSL and changing the port to 5223 works fine for me (in iChat), instead of port 5222 mentioned in the article. (However, in Adium - libgaim based IM client for OSX - using 5222, with TLS turned on works - YMMV.)

If you want to test it out, I'm currently on Google Talk (on the name, I personally think Google IM sounds better than Google Talk...) at jsnelgrove AT gmail.com (replace "AT" with the usual @ - don't feel like getting spam to that e-mail account).

[Via Slashdot]
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
After much speculation, Google has launched a new IM service... Apparently it's not 'supposed' to be public quite yet, but it works perfectly for me.
Thanks for the heads-up. It's gone live now:

http://www.google.com/talk/

Offers basic IM capabilities, VoIP, Gmail integration, (still) ads-free interface.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan
Offers basic IM capabilities, VoIP, Gmail integration, (still) ads-free interface.
Unfortunately, the VoIP is only usable in the, Windows-only, official client...

It seems very few companies are willing to use open protocols for VoIP... Skype, AIM, MSN, every other IM client with voice capabilities... Anyone have any ideas/theories on why this may be? Same thing with video. Webcam protocols aren't standard, aren't open, and haven't, in general, yet been taken apart on such a level that an open source implementation can be written...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Yea, I d/l'd it this am. Didn't bother playing with Trillian knowing that it was only a day away Bear in mind that I have Trillian Basic at work, so I am limited at what I can do. I was rather hopeful that the app would help axe the cr-app Exodus I've been using for Jabber, but alas... no other services can use GoogleTalk yet. Oh, and I know like 2 people who use GMail that would be interested in this.

Sucky sucky sucky.

If you're so inclined to try GT, hit me at geeklet at gmail dot com.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
They appear to have "scaling" issues, I've talked to a pretty good number of people and none of them can log in anymore (including myself).
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
They appear to have "scaling" issues...
You know why Gmail is still in beta officially. Who knows into what scaling issues they'd run into once it's a public service. And as long as it's beta, they can still pull the plug and say "sorry guys it didn't work as we expected."
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I'd be awfully upset if they pulled the plug on gmail now....

On topic, Google Talk made the national news headlines on Oz TV tonight... though as usual, they tell you so little they might as well not mention it at all.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
It doesn't even support file transfer (I dont thinK). Google is alwaus so innovative. What is innovative about google talk?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath
It doesn't even support file transfer (I dont thinK). Google is alwaus so innovative. What is innovative about google talk?
It's slick and uses a low memory resources. Granted, that isn't innovative... but then again, it carries the "Google" trademark, doesn't this alone make it special?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote