Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
OldMan80
Banned
OldMan80 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
Blotchy Problems..

has Amazon fixed those Blotchy problems yet on the KPW? I want to buy another one for a gift.. but have heard a ton of negative comments about the screen problems.. mine is bad in bed with lites off in room and lite set to 2-4.
Frank..

Last edited by OldMan80; 06-03-2013 at 10:53 PM.
OldMan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
There was a poll about it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209032

Also, if you look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=204555&page=2

people talk good and bad batches of screens.

What is your screen like?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The problem will never be solved and if it were a new problem would be found.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of PW users are very happy with it. If you're one of the small number who are sensitive to the screen's colour fringing, you'd be well advised to buy elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of PW users are very happy with it. If you're one of the small number who are sensitive to the screen's colour fringing, you'd be well advised to buy elsewhere.
Can you back that up with hard facts and numbers? Assumptions don't count. Neither do forum polls. Could it be the "overwhelming majority of PW users are" tolerating a blotchy screen because no other reader exists that can challenge it as far as mobi/KF8 books are concerned? If you want a lit screen, eInk Kindle you have ONE choice, the PW. When/if more choices come about the PW will possibly fall out of favor.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I deduce it from the extremely small number of complaints, compared with those who say they are happy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you want a lit screen, eInk Kindle you have ONE choice, the PW.
Do Americans say 'lit.' I thought they always said 'lighted.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I deduce it from the extremely small number of complaints, compared with those who say they are happy.
To be fair, you dismissed the poll that showed 30% of buyers had returned it for a replacement (mostly multiple times). I saw no reason to dismiss that poll other than brand-loyalty and bias. People that own kindles and frequent the amazon sub-forum are overwhelmingly pro-kindle. They don't come her to complain about it. Clearly there are problems with the PW lighting technology. You yourself stated that the producers are unable to totally eliminate the reported issues because of the underlying tech.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I suspect there may be a much larger number of PW owners that are dissatisfied with its display quality but simply tolerate it as no other front-lighted option exists for those who are married to the Amazon ecosystem (with no knowledge or desire to work around it). Although I have owned a PW since it was first available, I still loathe the uneven blotchiness/discoloration and have never been able to ignore it while reading.

As any improvement in the components is directly related to the cost, I doubt the majority of Amazon's customers would be willing to support higher prices for superior quality that they would not notice. Unfortunately, Amazon is going in the opposite direction to increase their market share and subsequent sales of content.

I haven't used my PW since I acquired a Kobo Aura HD. Its display is stunning and is what the Paperwhite should have been.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My PW and my Aura both have very even lighting. I find them interchangeable.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
My PW and my Aura both have very even lighting. I find them interchangeable.
I'm happy to hear that but I would guess it is the exception rather than the rule. There is no similarity whatsoever between the display of my PW and the Aura -- the Aura is far superior and in a class by itself.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I suspect there may be a much larger number of PW owners that are dissatisfied with its display quality but simply tolerate it as no other front-lighted option exists for those who are married to the Amazon ecosystem (with no knowledge or desire to work around it). Although I have owned a PW since it was first available, I still loathe the uneven blotchiness/discoloration and have never been able to ignore it while reading.

As any improvement in the components is directly related to the cost, I doubt the majority of Amazon's customers would be willing to support higher prices for superior quality that they would not notice. Unfortunately, Amazon is going in the opposite direction to increase their market share and subsequent sales of content.

I haven't used my PW since I acquired a Kobo Aura HD. Its display is stunning and is what the Paperwhite should have been.
I'm apparently out of the loop as I had not even heard of the Kobo Aura HD. I just went and read about it and wow it looks super nice. I will definitely have to investigate more now!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm apparently out of the loop as I had not even heard of the Kobo Aura HD. I just went and read about it and wow it looks super nice. I will definitely have to investigate more now!
Kobo launched it in April to the surprise of many. The slightly larger (6.8") display, higher resolution and crystal clear, uniform lighting makes it a joy to read on. Although Kobo is known for its occasionally buggy firmware, the many user-customized features make up for it, i.e., font sizing, font weight, sharpness, line spacing and margins -- all adjustable via slider as opposed to pre-determined and limited values as on the PW. Also nice is the addition of a physical button to actually turn the light completely off, if desired. The only negative is dealing directly with Kobo.

Hopefully Amazon is working on an improvement.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-05-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
To be fair, you dismissed the poll that showed 30% of buyers had returned it for a replacement (mostly multiple times). I saw no reason to dismiss that poll other than brand-loyalty and bias.
Well, you can only made deductions for the people who took part in the poll. Claiming that it shows numbers for all "buyers" is wrong. I think I didn't took part in that poll explicitly because I had big doubts about how it would be used in arguments. It's just not representative, it can't be. I can add non-representative numbers that show a different trend: Of the about ten people I've got to know who own KPWs, none have exchanged theirs or complained about problems. But this is just another number not really telling anything.

My guts feeling is that there is not a "big problem". Whatever that means. And I have no representative numbers I can use to show either way.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Kobo launched it in April to the surprise of many. The slightly larger (6.8") display, higher resolution and crystal clear, uniform lighting makes it a joy to read on. Although Kobo is known for its occasionally buggy firmware, the many user-customized features make up for it, i.e., font sizing, font weight, sharpness, line spacing and margins -- all adjustable via slider as opposed to pre-determined and limited values as on the PW. Also nice is the addition of a physical button to actually turn the light completely off, if desired. The only negative is dealing directly with Kobo.

Hopefully Amazon is working on an improvement.
It sounds fantastic. Thanks for the info!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
snogglethorpe
snogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesnogglethorpe can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I suspect there may be a much larger number of PW owners that are dissatisfied with its display quality but simply tolerate it as no other front-lighted option exists for those who are married to the Amazon ecosystem (with no knowledge or desire to work around it)
FWIW, I received a PW recently as a present, and it's basically perfect. I was surprised to read all these mentions of "blotches" etc, because there's absolutely nothing like that on mine.

My only real complaint is the lack of a way to turn off the backlight completely... (along with the usual perennial complaints: too heavy/big for the screen size, contrast still not really high enough...)

Last edited by snogglethorpe; 06-10-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: tweak wording
snogglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote