Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #76
glnnjnsn
Enthusiast
glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I buy books based on the cover too. I absolutely LOATHE movie cover versions, and am thankful that they never did that with the Harry Potter books. They just look tacky, out of place, and they don't age well on a shelf. I do the same thing with music albums to an extent.
Actually, that's why I actually wind up purchasing the movie-inspired versions (of paper books) most of the time. They're much more likely to end up in the clearance bin when the movie bombs and/or is no longer in theaters.
glnnjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #77
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
The book's cover definitely makes sense for me.
I'd like see nice covers displayed on my ebook shelf.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #78
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes they do make a difference - they are designed to catch your eye, and they do look nice on your book shelf, but the old adage is true - never judge a book by its cover.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #79
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
When I used to buy paperback books it was the cover that would usually draw me to the book. Now with ebooks the cover features less for me, especially since you rarely see the cover on the kindle. One of the few things I liked about the Kobo in the short time that I used it was that the book cover was on the lock screen so you got to see it more. I wonder if the Nook simple touch I ordered has that freature.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #80
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
When I used to buy paperback books it was the cover that would usually draw me to the book. Now with ebooks the cover features less for me, especially since you rarely see the cover on the kindle. One of the few things I liked about the Kobo in the short time that I used it was that the book cover was on the lock screen so you got to see it more. I wonder if the Nook simple touch I ordered has that freature.
Do you mean it serves as the screen saver (Maybe not the right word, but I'm trying to envision the lock mode.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I see really poor covers, I think self published on Amazon. So I stay away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #82
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I pay attention to "covers" when browsing. A nice cover might prompt me to read the excerpt/reviews, and might be the first step in the buying process. A bad cover (I am STILL amazed at how many authors do their covers in crayon and freehand lettering, and then scan them in) will never get that far.

If a book has been specifically recommended to me, then the cover doesn't matter.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #83
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Do you mean it serves as the screen saver (Maybe not the right word, but I'm trying to envision the lock mode.)
Yes, on Kobo readers the book cover can serve as the screen saver. I have software installed on my Sony reader to make it do the same thing, I love it!!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #84
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, on Kobo readers the book cover can serve as the screen saver. I have software installed on my Sony reader to make it do the same thing, I love it!!
That is pretty cool! I know kindle people asked for that for a long time but with ads, there's no chance of it happening...Glad to see a vendor doing that! I think Kobo is probably going to be my next reader. Then again it will hopefully be a while before I *need* one so who knows what will be out there by then!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #85
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
That is stock on the T1. The current book you are reading is the screensaver.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #86
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
with an instant-on cover, having cover images as a screen saver doesn't really make sense.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #87
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
with an instant-on cover, having cover images as a screen saver doesn't really make sense.

I disagree. I LOVE that my Sony T1 defaults to the currently reading cover when it's in standby mode. I like the visual reminder of what I'm reading, especially since I"ll have more than one book going, depending on what device I'm reading on (phone, iPad or T1).

I like that feature enough that it's one of the reasons I've avoided buying a Kindle Paperwhite, and I am considering the Kobo Glo/Aura instead (since Sony is apparently loathe to revisit the glowing e-Ink arena).
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #88
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Yea sorry I meant it serves as the screen saver.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #89
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I disagree. I LOVE that my Sony T1 defaults to the currently reading cover when it's in standby mode. I like the visual reminder of what I'm reading, especially since I"ll have more than one book going, depending on what device I'm reading on (phone, iPad or T1).

I like that feature enough that it's one of the reasons I've avoided buying a Kindle Paperwhite, and I am considering the Kobo Glo/Aura instead (since Sony is apparently loathe to revisit the glowing e-Ink arena).
I agree--neat feature. I like artwork and when I'm reviewing a book, I like to be able to see the cover with the full title and the author name. When I review a Kindle book I almost always have to turn the thing on, go back to the book, find the details...and I usually just look it up on Amazon instead of all that. It would be handy for a lot of reasons to be able to see the cover.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Becca said with an instant-on cover. The reason for that qualification is that with such a cover you never see the screen saver. You read. You close the cover, and the device goes to sleep. You open the cover and it wakes up again. So you never get to see the screen saver at all, hence it becomes irrelevant what it shows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote