Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Glo's minimum light setting too bright for a dark room?
Yes 92 54.44%
No 61 36.09%
Undecided 16 9.47%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Do you find the Glo's minimum light level is still too high?

Glo owners! Do you find that the minimum light level when used to read in the dark is too bright?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Yes, but only by about one step (based on how the light decreases with each step)

However having said that, it's still much better than no light at all (or a clip on book light)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
mopperkont
mopperkont began at the beginning.

Device: none
It is too bright, 50% below the current lowest level would be great. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and reading helps me to fall asleep again. The current light intensity wakes me even more, I feel it causes my eyes to adjust and get used for a couple of minutes. This pulls me out of sleep even more.
mopperkont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Feel too high too... in dark reading.
And for day reading, the max light level is useless.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No. The lowest level is fine for night time reading. During the day I use it anywhere between the lowest level and the 50 % setting.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
In complete darkness, at times it feels it's just a tad too bright, while at others it seems fine.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Marbouk
Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo glo
I like it as it is, but it wouldn't hurt to adjust the steps with a firmware upgrade to please others that want a better range.
Marbouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
After trying my Kobo I decided to use the minimum +1 level of light which is what works for me
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
After trying my Kobo I decided to use the minimum +1 level of light which is what works for me
I use this setting at all times, except in pitch black, where I'll mostly have it on minimum.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbouk View Post
I like it as it is, but it wouldn't hurt to adjust the steps with a firmware upgrade to please others that want a better range.
Could they make the lowest setting duller with a firmware update?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
It is too high. I think they should offer the option of also inverting the screen (white text on a black background). The Glo can do that -- in fact, it's setup screens use that setting -- and it will drastically reduce the brightness. Almost all ereading apps for use on smartphones offer this feature (which dates right back to Palm Reader on Palm OS devices). It would be simple to implement, and would be very useful, I think.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
One thing I did notice when the light is low, the oil from my fingerprints enhances the reflection of the light, so I have to clean the glass with the wipes I use to clean my glasses. I think the glass surface should not be so rough as it seems to absorb the oil faster than smooth glass.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Yes it's to bright, but I think Kobo may have done this on purpose, to stop the light 'shadows' from being to visible. I'm sure they'd be more obvious as you dropped the light level, then they'd get more complaints.

As RobertJSawyer said, if they allowed inverted ink then as its a reflected light that may well alleviate the problem.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
Yes it's to bright, but I think Kobo may have done this on purpose, to stop the light 'shadows' from being to visible. I'm sure they'd be more obvious as you dropped the light level, then they'd get more complaints.
Yeah I suspect something like that.

Quote:
As RobertJSawyer said, if they allowed inverted ink then as its a reflected light that may well alleviate the problem.
Agreed.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
endzi
endzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Yes it's to bright, but I think Kobo may have done this on purpose, to stop the light 'shadows' from being to visible.
I'd prefer more shadows than too much light.
endzi is offline   Reply With Quote