Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Butcher
Banned
Butcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: None
What's up with the bad contrast ratio?

I like the design, the form factor and the uniform lighting but what's up with the bad contrast ratio?

Sony PRS-T2, 13:1
Bookeen HD Frontlight, 11.5:1
Kindle Paperwhite, 11.5:1
Kobo Glo, 10:1... same as the +3 year old Kindle DX.

I think I will cancel my Kobo Glo backorder (my first e-reader) and do some more research before buying.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-15-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Kobo and Amazon seemed to use the same HD screen, so they should have pretty much the same contrast ratio. I haven't paid attention to what fiddling with the font weight does to the pictures in a book, but it makes the text considerably darker than the Kobo in that last picture.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't understand the technique for comparing the Glo and the Paperwhite - the Paperwhite light never goes off, so if the Glo light is off, it's not apples and apples; and the Glo light doesn't go down to the minimum that the Paperwhite light does, so if they're both at minimum, that's not apples and apples either. In addition, in the text shot, the photographer hasn't even bothered to set them up with the same font, font size, sharpness, etc, so eyeballing is useless.

Methodology matters - without knowing who took these photos and how, we can't assess them.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Changing the font weights does indeed change the pictures as well. Obviously, I cannot tell by looking at the pictures that Butcher has posted, but I can say for a certainty that even at it's default font settings, the Kobo Glo does not look like that. The only thing I have to compare it to is my Jetbook Lite and my Kobo wireless, and it's contrast is much better than either of those. Depending on where you're at, I don't know if you're in Germany or not or if that's just the website you're seeing this at, you should be able to find one to look at for yourself and judge.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Butcher, I don't think the Glo is as 'sharp' contrast wise as it could be.

For info:

weight the text, Georgia, as full dial

Sharpness - full dial

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-11-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I was playing with several of them in the store today, as my beloved Sony 505 died after four years of hard service without a hiccup! I looked at Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo, two models of Sony, the PRS-2, PRS-350, and PRS-650 (I think...,) Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite, and two other brands that I can't think of right now.

After 30 minutes spent converting them all into English... so I could navigate though the various menus, I immediately put back both Kobos... I was NOT impressed with what I saw on the screens. The Kindles looked good as did the Sonys, and I really couldn't see much difference between them. I guess they must compete on function, but as I have no need for anything more than a 'dumb' reader, for me the competition was by price. Sony won. If I were buying this week, I would have bought one of the Sonys.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
Butcher
Banned
Butcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a TexanButcher might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
...so they should have pretty much the same contrast ratio.
But they don't. 11.5:1 vs 10:1 is a huge difference in contrast. Kobo Glo has the same contrast ratio as the +3 year old Kindle DX. That's just terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
In addition, in the text shot, the photographer hasn't even bothered to set them up with the same font, font size, sharpness, etc, so eyeballing is useless.
Pointless. Does not change the contrast ratio. But here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
I can say for a certainty that even at it's default font settings, the Kobo Glo does not look like that.
See the images above. Look at the washed out blacks and ghosting on the Kobo and look at the deep blacks on the Kindle and Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@Butcher, I don't think the Glo is as 'sharp' contrast wise as it could be.

For info:

weight the text, Georgia, as full dial

Sharpness - full dial
Weight, different fonts etc. does not change the contrast ratio of the screen.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-15-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
See the images above. Look at the washed out blacks and ghosting on the Kobo and look at the deep blacks on the Kindle and Sony.
It was the incredible ghosting on the Kobo made me disqualify them so quickly. I understand that they refresh after every four page turns, but even putting up with it for one page made reading uncomfortable for me.

Stitchawl
Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It was the incredible ghosting on the Kobo made me disqualify them so quickly. I understand that they refresh after every four page turns, but even putting up with it for one page made reading uncomfortable for me.

Stitchawl
You can set the refresh rate to every page if you wish but by default it is at 6 (the least frequent refresh). So you may have disqualified it for ghosting needlessly...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can set the refresh rate to every page if you wish but by default it is at 6 (the least frequent refresh). So you may have disqualified it for ghosting needlessly...
There must be some reason why their developers thought someone would want to see that for more than a page. I imagine it drastically changes the power consumption, especially if the default is 6 pages. I always got two full weeks of daily reading with my Sony, reading 2-4 hours a day. I wonder if the Kobo set to refresh on every page would give me the same?

In any even, although I did play around with contrast setting of the different readers, I couldn't make either of the Kobos look as clean as the Kindles or Sonys, so it really would be a mute point.

Stitchawl
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
There must be some reason why their developers thought someone would want to see that for more than a page. I imagine it drastically changes the power consumption, especially if the default is 6 pages. I always got two full weeks of daily reading with my Sony, reading 2-4 hours a day. I wonder if the Kobo set to refresh on every page would give me the same?

In any even, although I did play around with contrast setting of the different readers, I couldn't make either of the Kobos look as clean as the Kindles or Sonys, so it really would be a mute point.

Stitchawl
I have a T1 and a Mini and battery life is similar (at 2 pg refresh). On the Kobo selecting a different font or changing the weight of a font will make the screen look sharper. Kobo offers a lot of customization for fonts. But of course that is also a moot point if you have a preference for the other brands..
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I have a T1 and a Mini and battery life is similar (at 2 pg refresh). On the Kobo selecting a different font or changing the weight of a font will make the screen look sharper. Kobo offers a lot of customization for fonts. But of course that is also a moot point if you have a preference for the other brands..
I wouldn't be willing to read every other page with ghosting. That would be a deal breaker for me. I'm only brand-loyal because of what I saw today. When I change font size, it's to make it larger or smaller for comfortable reading, not to make it sharper or more clear. No matter what size the font is, it's always sharp and clear.

Stitchawl
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
If ghosting is your worst nightmare, set the Kobo to refresh every page.
(FWIW: I have mine set to refresh every 6 pages and I never see any ghosting unless I'm reading outside in the cold.)

I'm not trying to say "The Kobo is the best reader" -- just that you seem unnecessarily hung up on this ghosting thing.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
There must be some reason why their developers thought someone would want to see that for more than a page.
Choice is good? I have my Glo set to refresh every 6 pages, and I see no ghosting at all - but maybe that's my soon-to-be-50yo eyes.... YMMV.

Quote:
I imagine it drastically changes the power consumption, especially if the default is 6 pages.
A bonus, then. Frankly, if I had to look at that contrast-flash with EVERY page turn, it would drive me a bit batty. Again, YMMV.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Sci-Fi Junkie
Sci-Fi connoisseur
Sci-Fi Junkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Manual white balance, reviewers should really try to use it.

Kobo Glo in complete darkness.

Last edited by Sci-Fi Junkie; 01-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Sci-Fi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote