Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
aaronvegh
aaronvegh began at the beginning.

Device: None
PRS-500 won't boot

My PRS-500 won't start. I hadn't used it for a couple weeks, and now when I slide the power switch, the LED briefly lights up yellow, and nothing happens. I've had it connected via USB to hopefully charge the battery but the screen remains blank. I've also tried resetting the unit, but I"m getting zero response. Any hint as to what I can try?
aaronvegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
The PRS-500 won't charge via USB if the battery is completely flat. Hook up the regular charger for a few hours and you should be back in business.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, a mains charge, preferably overnight, should sort this out.

The battery got flat because the reader uses a small amount of power to maintain settings etc. Even unused, it will run down in about 3 weeks.

However, you can do a complete shutdown with the 505, in which case it won't be using power, but will take longer to reboot when you do start it up.

(If an overnight mains charge doesn't sort out the problem -- and it usually works -- the next step is a soft reset.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
aaronvegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Yes, a mains charge, preferably overnight, should sort this out.
So here's a funny question. What if I can't find the power adapter? I've just turned this place upside down. It's not here! I'm pretty sure it came with my unit, but I don't know where it is now. Frack!

Any suggestions now? :-[
Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look harder.
Advert
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader

Or find a friend with a psp charger and borrow it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvegh View Post
I'm pretty sure it came with my unit, but I don't know where it is now. Frack!

Any suggestions now? :-[
If it's any help, it's the type of adapter with a box in the middle of the cable (AC cable -> Box -> Reader). Looks more like a laptop adapter rather than your standard "wall wart" where the electronics box has the AC prongs coming directly out of it. And it has "Sony" in big letters

Good luck!
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 02-04-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As has been said, if you've genuinely lost it, go to your nearest video game store and buy a PlayStation Portable charger. It works fine with the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you plug your 500 into the USB port, the red light has to come on and the screen change to show it's plugged inot the USB port to know the battery is getting power.

Also, there is a hack for the 500 to allow you to properly turn off the 500 so it doesn't drain the battery if you know you won't be using it for a few days or longer. I suggest installing that and turning it off if you won't be reading.

As for the PSP AC adapter, you want one with the barrel plug on it and not a USB plug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
aaronvegh

Found the adapter! It was under a desk behind some boxes. :-P

An overnight charge made all good.

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Aaron.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
BobVA
Addict

Glad it worked. As Jon noted you can install a hack to let you completely power off the 500. That will keep the battery in shape for months, but it does take a while to start when you first restart it.

If you don't want to use the hack, you can also just press the reset button, but then do NOT turn it on afterwards, just put it away. It will cold boot next time you turn it on.

Make sure to sync it with the computer first, or you can lose your bookmarks. You'll need to resync it with the computer to reset the time after you wake it up.

Cheers,
Bob