Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Problem "installing" "Kindle library extractor"

I am looking into the possibility of developing an app for the kindle. Given this I searched around a bit and found the following page about what was needed to accomplish this:

http://www.cowlark.com/kindle/combined.html

One of the first requirements for this was to jailbreak, which I had already done. The next item noted was to obtain a copy of the kindle libraries using the above noted "Kindle library extractor", which is where I am having the problem. I have a both kindle 3 wifi and a 3g and am seeing the same behavior on both of them. I downloaded the library extractor package here:

http://www.cowlark.com/kindle/jarextractor-0.1.zip

I then copied the appropriate installer to the kindle and attempted to update. In both cases I got the U007 "The update was not successful. Your kindle is restarting" screen and found that the jarextractor installer had been moved to the linkss directory.

Is something missing from the documentation on this? I am wondering, as I see no entry in linkjail/etc/whitelist for update_jarextractor*, if that is the cause of the U007 error. If so, will simply adding it correct the problem?

I also noticed the following file in the linkss directory:

4082760 2011-10-22 01:52 Update_558700031_611680021.bin

Is this an update that failed or was blocked for some reason? What should I do with it if anything?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ooops, it's probably not whitelisted in my jailbreak... Shoot me a PM, I'll fix it for the next update :-). In the mean time, you can fix this on your side by editing the linkjail/etc/whitelist file, it should be pretty self explanatory.

As for the bin file in the linkss directory, that's just an official update that was backed up by the hack, you can safely delete it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ooops, it's probably not whitelisted in my jailbreak... Shoot me a PM, I'll fix it for the next update :-). In the mean time, you can fix this on your side by editing the linkjail/etc/whitelist file, it should be pretty self explanatory.

As for the bin file in the linkss directory, that's just an official update that was backed up by the hack, you can safely delete it.
I added a line to linkjail/etc/whitelist containing "update_jarextractor" and then the update worked as intended. I'm glad that is all it took, as this is new territory for me here.

Given your note about the bin file being a backup I went ahead and deleted it, after all the kindle has limited storage and that file could potentially displace a book I want to load later.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It'll be in the next jb rebuild, thanks!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
Extracting to /lib

I followed this exactly, adding update_jarextractor to the whitelist using vi..
The update was successful, but when I ssh in I don't see anything new in /lib

Edit: my mistake.. it's the /lib at mnt/us/lib not the /lib at root

Last edited by smartgenes; 11-23-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Solved it
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgenes View Post
I followed this exactly, adding update_jarextractor to the whitelist using vi..
The update was successful, but when I ssh in I don't see anything new in /lib

If I had a penny for every time...

I'd have about 21p hehehe
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgenes View Post
For single rooted file systems as used in *nix systems, the leading / is significant (the name of the file system root).

IE:
"It's the lib at /mnt/us/lib not the system /lib"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
ahh

ah yes, another mistake by myself.
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote