Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
TOC Question

Am I making work for myself, and more importantly ... is there a better way?

1. Edit epub and mark H1's

2. Generate TOC [T] icon, [Generate TOC From Major Headings] -- So far, so good

3. Edit some more and add more H1's

4. If I repeat #2 I get double TOC entries. I have to select and remove all the TOC entries first

If I edit the H1 text and then #4, I get double entries, and the original and the edited H1 text links are both there
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Just wipe out the previous one and run make TOC again, if am understanding you correctly.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Just wipe out the previous one and run make TOC again, if am understanding you correctly.
You're understanding correctly and that's what I've been doing (my step #4)

You seem to be confirming that that is the only way to do it.

It just seemed logical (to me at least) that if the user clicked [Generate TOC from .....] that the original would be cleared and rebuilt using the current headings, links, etc. and not have the data appended to what was there before
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you might want to generate a toc from multiple types of items. Why should toc entries from some time of item wipe out existing entries? If you want to replace, select all the deelte the existing entries first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since you can choose to do only some of headings, I guess that is why he didn't automatically delete the TOC when generating a new one.

Beat to the punch by Kovid!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No you might want to generate a toc from multiple types of items. Why should toc entries from some time of item wipe out existing entries? If you want to replace, select all the deelte the existing entries first.
I had not thought about a TOC created from different types.

Since 3 clicks of [Generate TOC from major headers] will triple each of the Hx's as entries, I have been deleting the TOC and recreating it each time
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I sometimes find myself having to generate tocs from different types of items in inconsistently formatted books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone

This is a reason to make generate TOC your very last thing to do.