Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #106
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
If you haven't already, go to your home page, click on "Improve your recommendations". Then find the book in your purchase list and click "Don't use for recommendations".

I get a lot of freebies, most of genres I don't mind free but don't want to be browsing in. It helps keep my recommendation list focused.
Thanks for that...I too will have to do this (for a different genre)!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #107
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
If you haven't already, go to your home page, click on "Improve your recommendations". Then find the book in your purchase list and click "Don't use for recommendations".

I get a lot of freebies, most of genres I don't mind free but don't want to be browsing in. It helps keep my recommendation list focused.
Thanks, DR.

I'd already changed the recommendation status of the books in question months ago, but they keep returning to haunt every device I buy or refresh! They seem to reappear on the carousel of downloadable books on my Android devices whenever there's a Kindle app update. The problem is that they take the place of books I'd rather return to or resume reading.

I also winced when I read my own words in your quote. I sounded a tad ungrateful for the opportunity to try horror books at a discount or free, didn't I? I'd have gone back to change my post if it weren't immortalized in the very response that made me aware of my own ingratitude! Sobeit.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #108
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Two Stephen King books at $3.99 each: The Shining and Carrie.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #110
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Book of Boo -- 99 Cent Boxed Set ny Scott Nicholson

Book of Boo -- Boxed Set by Scott Nicholson. (An indie author now, but he started out as a dead tree author wtih Pinnacle.)

This isn't one of those little boxes of novellas. This one has 245,000 words (or the equivalent of 838 pages).
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #111
specficwriter
Groupie
specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro
Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates for $1.99 US, at kobo and amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-ebook/d...l+oates+zombie
specficwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #112
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by specficwriter View Post
Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates for $1.99 US, at kobo and amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-ebook/d...l+oates+zombie
Also $1.99 at B&N.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #113
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Some of Your Blood by Theodore Sturgeon, currently $3.99 at Amazon Main US only and Barnes&Noble

$3.49 at Kobo, and eligible for coupons (i.e., $1.75 with test50 right now)

Named one of the Horror Writers Association’s Top 40 Horror Books of All Time, Theodore Sturgeon’s gripping psychological thriller both fascinates and terrifies with the story of a troubled soldier and his bizarre, violent obsession with vampirism

At the height of an unnamed war, a soldier is confined for striking an officer. Referred to as George Smith in official papers and records, the prisoner comes under the observation of Army psychiatrist Philip Outerbridge, who asks the young man to put his story down on paper. The result is a shocking tale of abuse, violence, and twisted love, a personal history as dark and troubling as any the doctor has ever encountered. Believing the patient to be dangerously psychotic, Dr. Outerbridge must dig deeper into his psyche. And when the truth about the strange case of George Smith is fully revealed, the results will be devastating.

Told through letters, transcripts, and case studies, Some of Your Blood is an extraordinary, poignant yet terrifying, genre-defying novel.

Last edited by scottken; 10-22-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add Kobo link
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #114
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Until October 31st, small Canadian speculative fiction specialty publisher Chizine are holding 50% off selected dark fantasy/horror collections and novels when you direct-buy.

Many of the titles have blurb info praise from Ellen Datlow, Cory Doctorow, and Locus and other magazines, and several authors have won or been nominated for significant fantasy and horror awards.

Discount is automatic and no coupon is needed; most titles work out to $5. Outside their own webstore and Weightless Books, CZP are distributed by HarperCollins in most outlets and the titles I spot-checked were priced around $11.10 CAD when I looked in the Kindle store.

They've overhauled their website since last I shopped there and the store login links are no longer obvious, but you should still get a DRM-free bundle of ePub/Mobi/PDF, though there may now be site backup/re-download limitations.

CZP have a blogpost with a list of links to the eligible titles, but there's no obvious way to link to just that, so you'll have to scroll down to the Oct 20th Halloween Sale announcement on their frontpage.

Sale titles are:

Every House is Haunted by Ian Rogers
Eutopia by David Nickle
Enter, Night by Michael Rowe (Lambda Literary and Spectrum Award-winning author)
Horror Story and Other Horror Stories by Robert Boyczuk
Hair Side, Flesh Side by Helen Marshall
The Hair Wreath and Other Stories by Halli Villegas
Monstrous Affections by David Nickle (Black Quill Award winner)
Picking Up the Ghost by Tone Milazzo
Stories from the Plague Years by Michael Marano (contains a Shirley Jackson Award nominee novella)
Remember Why You Fear Me by Robert Shearman (World Fantasy, British Fantasy, and Shirley Jackson Award-winning author; blurb says this collects his best reprint tales + 10 previously uncollected stories)
The World More Full of Weeping by Robert J. Wiersema

If you're strapped for cash around this time of the year, CZP has in the past held a more general 50% off almost everything sale on Black Friday if you think you can wait and see.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #115
Brendan Moody
Groupie
Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G LTE, LG Ultimate 2
Today's US Kindle Daily Deal is (it says here) "five thrilling Halloween-themed books." Four of them are mysteries, but one is the Oxford University Press edition of M. R. James' ghost stories for $2.99. As discussed above, much of James' work is public domain in the US, but this is still a good deal if you want a cheap annotated edition of all the stories published in his lifetime.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #116
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Todays 99p deals from Sainsburys are

James Herbert
Ash
Moon
Nobody True
The Secret of Crickley Hall

Stephen King
IT
Salem's Lot
The Green Mile
The Shining
Under the Dome
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #117
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Mystery Walk by Robert R. McCammon, $1.99 as a daily deal at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Walk-ebook/dp/B005T54IBS
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #118
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
And as part of cyber Monday, many more books Robert R. McCammon are on sale.
Amazon author's page:
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-R.-McCa...rnid=618072011

Edit:
More links (Amazon | NOOK | iTunes | Kobo | SONY)
http://www.robertmccammon.com/2013/1...r-monday-2013/

Last edited by shemsha; 12-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #119
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Whisper by Michael Bray is FREE today on Amazon US.

Quote:
It was supposed to be a fresh start. A place for Steve & Melody Samson to begin their new life together away from the noise and crime of the city. However, their new home – an idyllic cottage nestled deep within the dense solitude of Oakwell forest-has a disturbing history, hidden for generations by the locals. There is evil in Hope House, and the cursed forest that surrounds it. Evil that has awakened after lying dormant for decades, and has terrifying plans for the young couple.

Once you hear the whispers, it may already be too late.
Sounds fairly traditional, but the reviews are very good.

ETA: Just found a collection on Amazon entitled Great British Horror, Volume I from the same publisher. It includes Whisper, as well as the following:

The Thing Behind the Door by G.R. Yeates
Happily Ever After by Matt Shaw
Insulation by Craig Saunders
High Moor by Graeme Reynolds
The Copycat Murders by William Meikle
Duplicity by Ian Woodhead
Sam by Iain Rob Wright

Price for the next 5 days is $0.99 -- with the proceeds being donated to Centrepoint (a UK-based charity).

Last edited by BetterRead; 12-06-2013 at 01:23 PM.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #120
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Whisper by Michael Bray is FREE today on Amazon US.

Sounds fairly traditional, but the reviews are very good.

Sounds interesting...i thank you, my TBR does not
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote