Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
What is the page number conversion?

If you use the mid size font....how many more or less pages is it on the Kindle in comparison with the printed trade paperback version?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
The kindle doesn't use page numbers. That way, when you change fonts and the amount of words per page change, you can still go to the same spot. They use a different numbering system.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
The kindle doesn't use page numbers. That way, when you change fonts and the amount of words per page change, you can still go to the same spot. They use a different numbering system.
Has anyone figured out how to decode the numbering system on the Kindle? It seems to the related to the number of words or bytes in a file or some such simple measure. It does not change with font size and it seems not to be intelligent like counting paragraphs would be.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so how does it keep track of the page number?

I thought they'd keep pages as a metaphor at least. i don't think i like the idea of not being able to reference by page number. also, in terms of progress.....i think about what page i am. i am on page 100 of 500....i prefer that to i'm 20% complete. don't u agree?

But i'm not sure yet since i don't have the device yet. should arrive by the 4th.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
so how does it keep track of the page number?

I thought they'd keep pages as a metaphor at least.
Same here but the Kindle seems to have no concept of page. It uses something called location numbers. I have not been able to figure out how they are calculated. They aren't high enough to be a word count. If I look at the first page of the welcome letter that came loaded on the Kindle the locations are 1-6. In this case it almost looks like a paragraph count but in other books this doesn't seem to hold.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On the 505, the pages are smaller then your average paperback and thus, you will find that you will have more pages per ebook then you do per paperback book. This goes for the Kindle, the Gen3, the 500, and the 505. The iLiad might have a better shot at matching a pbook given it's higher resolution and larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Um, I can't quite figure out the numbering system either. When I want to jump ahead, it's pure guess work on my part. And since it doesn't change with the font size and it isn't a word count, I have no idea what they were thinking by using that system. I hope their software updates change that.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Ok, I did some research using Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson, which is available on the kindle and also as a "Search Inside" pbook at Amazon which means they provide text statistics for it.

The ebook includes additional material so they aren't identical (I tried to compensate for this by using the Kindle "page" number at the end of the regular text where applicable).

Here are some numbers:

Characters per Kindle "page": 133
Words per Kindle "page": 23
Kindle "pages" per paperback edition page: 14.8
Compressed Kindle ebook bytes per Kindle "page": 109.

Based on the search behavior I was expecting a Kindle "page" to simply be a chunk of 64 bytes of the uncompressed text data, but the number came out closer to 128 bytes and not quite close enough to be sure that's what it's doing rather than some variable-length magical computation. But since it doesn't seem to be correlated to anything else, my guess at this point is that a page may indeed just be 128 bytes (or characters) of book data, and the number varies a little based on embedded formatting data etc.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
markbot
Guru

I don't like the idea of the progerss being in units of 128 bytes, etc. They need to have page numbers!!! based on the current sized font.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The mobipocket reader software is designed to run in extremely CPU limited environments, which is why it does not do proper layouting and pagination.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I wouldn't call XScale PXA 255 an "extremely CPU limited environment". Though they do run UI in Java, so maybe it evens out
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt they re-wrote the code for the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The mobipocket reader software is designed to run in extremely CPU limited environments, which is why it does not do proper layouting and pagination.
The big problem is that they allow the user to change the font size in very small increments any time they wish on basically all the different platforms they support. Recalculating the number of pages every time the user changes the font size is a real problem. Most eBook readers precompute from a limited set of sizes. Sony has only 3 for example and takes a big hit the first time you select one that has not been used on that book before. Connect prepages all 3 sizes. Ebookwise prepages its 2 sizes. This is the real reason. MobiPocket devices are the same approximate power as eBook devices these days although that was not always the case.

Mobi tends to tack on changes to their software while they really need a full re-write.

Dale
Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
markbot
Guru

now that I have the Kindle....I've figured out a system for understanding the location number.

Based on comaring the Kindle version with the paper version....my formula is.

Based on the 2 sized font, 2 Kindle pages = 1 paperback page.

also,

Location number / 20 = page number.

For example, the location number of Great Expectations goes up to 9000. There are about 485 pages in the print version. 9000/485 equals about 20.

Thus, 200 location numbers is like 10 pages.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
now that I have the Kindle....I've figured out a system for understanding the location number.

Based on comaring the Kindle version with the paper version....my formula is.

Based on the 2 sized font, 2 Kindle pages = 1 paperback page.

also,

Location number / 20 = page number.

For example, the location number of Great Expectations goes up to 9000. There are about 485 pages in the print version. 9000/485 equals about 20.

Thus, 200 location numbers is like 10 pages.
I believe the Kindle count is 128 bytes of data. Someone posted that number earlier.

Dale