Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
The kindle is wider at one end and tapers off on the other to simulate holding a paperback folded over.

thanks for the mini reviews. The text web browser is free? that can't be.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Mine just arrived, time to play.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Yeah, free. Hopefully it stays free. I'm sure my monthly subscriptions (NYT, WSJ, several magazines) more than make up for what little data charges might exist when I do occasionally decide to surf. I really hope amazon keeps this free.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
sfernald
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
The kindle is wider at one end and tapers off on the other to simulate holding a paperback folded over.

-d
I realize that, but the point where it tapers in a normal book is usually the end of the pages which I usually like to play with and flip through with my thumb as I'm reading. Well in this case of this device, that tapered end is the next page button, so I have to retrain my thumb not to play or fidget around.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #20
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Yeah, free. Hopefully it stays free. I'm sure my monthly subscriptions (NYT, WSJ, several magazines) more than make up for what little data charges might exist when I do occasionally decide to surf. I really hope amazon keeps this free.
This think just keeps getting more impressive.

-d
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #21
Zoot
Connoisseur

Quote:
By starting it out free, they will answer the question of how much people will really use the web browsing when cost is no option. If that turns out to be pretty low usage then they may keep it free. If not, then at least they'll have good data on which to price a data service. This is much better than the other way where for example if they required an optional $10/month for web access from the beginning then you'd never really know how many people would use the service but just weren't willing to pay for it.

If they can't keep it free I might be happy with a subsidized model where you get free web (and maybe even bidirectional email which shouldn't be too hard to add) in exchange for spending $10/month or more in the Amazon Kindle store or something similar.

Z.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
sfernald
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post

If they can't keep it free I might be happy with a subsidized model where you get free web (and maybe even bidirectional email which shouldn't be too hard to add) in exchange for spending $10/month or more in the Amazon Kindle store or something similar.

Z.
That would be fair to me. I will probably end up spending $30+ just on subscriptions anyway. The articles on the Atlantic and New York Times and Salon really are so much better than most of the free content on the web that it is worth it to me.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
dugbug
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post

Z.
Yeah, I imagine given the limits of an Eink browser using those controls, most users will be happy just knowing they can go to some simple mobile web site (no video or flash anim, etc). That should keep it very low cost to amazon, and hopefully to us.

-d
Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #24
Thistledown
Thistledown doesn't litterThistledown doesn't litterThistledown doesn't litter

A few more additions and answers to questions:

The scroll wheel is really nice. It's very quick to select a menu item. In contrast, on the Sony reader, you have to wait for a screen refresh for every item you scroll onto. The LCD (the technology name escape me) the wheel controls has a neat feature in that it doubles as a progress meter. It will rotate or expand depending on what you are doing/waiting on.

I haven't had an opportunity to try to convert any files PDF or otherwise. That's on my list, but I haven't had time yet. You first need to setup the e-mail address through amazon.com according to the manual, and you also have to configure which e-mail address it can receive from -- so not anyone can mail your kindle.

As for speed and contrast - it definitely feels faster than the Sony, and side-by-side it turns pages faster. How much faster? Tough to say - .25 seconds? .5 second? I imagine the speed difference is comparable to the Sony 500 to the 505. Contrast is also comparable. It's tough to say if the screen is lighter than the 500 or if that's just the white plastic around it making it look that way.

When you hook the Kindle up to a Mac via USB, a message is displayed telling you that you can't use your kindle to read and the wireless is turned off. It is mounted just like a flash device.

I agree with sfernald's statement - aside from finishing a book or two on the PRS-500, I have no reason to go back to it.
Thistledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #25
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
I...Just a first observation. I think this thing is the real deal. I think it's going to change everything....
Excellent news. Mine hasn't arrived yet, I do think this has the potential to be better than the Sony Reader. Great little mini-review....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistledown View Post
I agree with sfernald's statement - aside from finishing a book or two on the PRS-500, I have no reason to go back to it.
I feel the same way. This (3 for 3) does not bode well for Sony.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #27
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
I'm eagerly awaiting mine....now up to shipping soon from amazon. I hope this is a sony replacer, especially since the page keys are getting a little unreliable...
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #28
Zoot
Connoisseur

Yeah, my Sony 500 is history now. The basic reading experience is very similar (the screen is probably identical to the 505 in terms of size and contrast, and slightly better contrast and faster speed than the 500), but the reader software is much better (the user interface, buttons, and the navigation system).

I would say that in terms of the screen, reading text off it, and the physical size and weight of the device, it's 10% better than the Sony.

In terms of the reader software, navigation, etc. it might be twice as good.

In terms of the overall experience, the free integrated net access, the Amazon-quality store with 4x the available titles, web browsing, subscriptions, and instant-gratification book delivery without the need to sync with a PC, it might be ten times better.

That extra $100 is absolutely worth it, and I cannot imagine buying the current Sony device at this point when the Kindle is available.

I still can't say if this is a revolution in ebooks or not, but it's way better than the Sony in my opinion.

Z.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #29
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Why subscribe to the papers if you can browse the web for free. I.e., why not just read the papers/magazines straight from the web?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #30
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Why subscribe to the papers if you can browse the web for free. I.e., why not just read the papers/magazines straight from the web?
For the same reason many of us don't like reading ebooks on our computers, I would imagine: eye fatigue, portability, etc.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote